A different kind of technology.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different kind of technology.

This weekend there was time to do something seemingly frivolous. When I was a Boy Scout some 50 odd years ago, I was required to learn the fundamentals of splicing. Then I was not very good at it, but good enough to get the 1st class badge requirements under my belt.

It's interesting that my 1st eye splice today was not that good. As I continue to do them, they tend to get better each time . Even the 1st one which was lousy had more than enough power to handle the job assigned which was holding on to a 4 by 12 bumper. I ran out of bumpers before I ran out of rope . There are a few more bumpers on my other boats that I have to do. Surprisingly, not only is splicing fun to do but it is a nice activity to do indoors.
    Attached Files
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

That beats me tying a hangmans knot for sure.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

i don't remember getting to learn that in boy scouts.maybe a few step by step pics?it sure looks cool!
      john woods
      "be afraid of free women and free boats"~my wise uncle

Comment

I tried to post a link to a how-to video on making an eye splice, but couldn't because nobody likes me. I guess with this new software you have to have at least one like before you can post a link. Will somebody please like me? I promise I won't abuse the link posting priviledge, or start showing up at your house without calling first.

Comment

Originally posted by rotten imp, post: 25865, member: 2276
          i don't remember getting to learn that in boy scouts.maybe a few step by step pics?it sure looks cool!
          Take a look at YouTube and you will find numerous detailed videos on splicing .
          Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
          16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
          17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

good ol' youtube,didn't think of that...thanks.
            john woods
            "be afraid of free women and free boats"~my wise uncle

Comment

Ok, I think this might be what Clint was talking about. Whats this "Like me" stuff. I have not been in that area and I need too...
              Some kind of classification thing going on.??
              Crap.....Ok, I will get into that and see what that is and what I can do about it.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

There is a "like" link at the right of every post. The requirement to have at least one like is there to prevent scammers from posting links to their "earn $40,000 a month from home" pyramid schemes. I don't know if that's ever been a problem before.

Comment

Ok, I see a whole different thing signed in a typical user and Yes, I see that Like and, No, never seen it before.
                  Where did you see the requirements. I see if I click on the Like it will change. I guess I need to go figure that out and see if we even need that and for what reason.
                  So, its Me, Helmar posting as Radar...

This security thing with Facebook kind of spooks me. They say right up front that they own your personal information (in so many words) so I need to see if I can get Chris to get that Facebook crap off

I don't think we need that face book stuff do we ???
                  Come on guys, I can see all of you that log in during the course of the day and you can't tell me your not looking around at things. I even know what time you log in.
                  I mean, hell, if you don't tell me what your likes or dislikes are, how in the hell am I going to do anything about it ????

Helmar

Comment

Helmar, I don't see any reason why we need the Facebook connection. I'm not a Facebook kind of guy. Others may be.
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 25883, member: 9
                      Helmar, I don't see any reason why we need the Facebook connection. I'm not a Facebook kind of guy. Others may be.
                      Me neither....
                      Hey, just noticed something....Well, I noticed that the Avatars were all fuzzy...I just found out I can upload one that is 800 x 600. Means we can get a better looking avatar if you like.
                      Got a hotter picture of your Seafair Sedan to upload ?
                      I am just now playing around with the front end so I can see what everyone else sees for a change....
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Radar, post: 25880, member: 2320
                        Ok, I see a whole different thing signed in a typical user and Yes, I see that Like and, No, never seen it before.
                        Where did you see the requirements. I see if I click on the Like it will change. I guess I need to go figure that out and see if we even need that and for what reason.
                        So, its Me, Helmar posting as Radar...

This security thing with Facebook kind of spooks me. They say right up front that they own your personal information (in so many words) so I need to see if I can get Chris to get that Facebook crap off

I don't think we need that face book stuff do we ???
                        Come on guys, I can see all of you that log in during the course of the day and you can't tell me your not looking around at things. I even know what time you log in.
                        I mean, hell, if you don't tell me what your likes or dislikes are, how in the hell am I going to do anything about it ????

Helmar
                        Helmar, I saw the requirement when I attempted to post a link to a video. It said I needed at least 1 like and a higher percentage of likes than dislikes, or something like that. Now that Chuck has "liked" me, I'll try posting another link. As far as facebook goes, no thanks. All this social media nonesense just reminds me of the Max Headroom TV series. It was a sci-fi/comedy set in the not to distant future. That was 1987, so we're probably in that future now. I think everyone had a barcode tattoo on their forearm and there were scanners everywhere. If you walked past a scanner, the computer knew where you were and also knew all of your personal details. Anyone that managed to not be in the computer was called a blank and was hunted by the police. I prefer to be a blank.
                        [media=youtube]T2fkIidxp74[/media]

Comment

Yeah, I can post links now. Thanks Chuck.

Comment

A blank, "I Like It". Hopefully there is a way to remove the Facebook #$%&*@.

Joe, go ahead and upload the new picture if you can. I was going to play around with that picture, but haven't.
                            Steve Kiesel
                            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Stan, I remember Max Headroom real well . And, Stan and Chuck, I need to get that dislike or like stuff under control.
                              Remember, this forum was created by Young nerds too.
                              We are going to have some things that we are just going to have to accept, well, or Not. I can only strip things down to the point they allow us but no matter, I plan on keeping our security a Number 1 Priority...

I need to take a break from this thing, sorry guys.

Steve, you can upload your same image as I don't see that one. We have not transferred our Picture Gallery over. We still have it, just not here is all.
                              If you want, I can go see if I can find it, add it to my list which is no problem...
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                              X