Flying camera: FUN!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying camera: FUN!

I purchased a medium priced quad copter with attached camera. I think this will be the perfect thing for photographing boats. While not exactly cheap this particular one seems to be the optimal combination of capabilities and price. Think of it as photographing boats as they pass under the Deception Pass Bridge. Except in this case, the camera stays with the boats rather than shortly going out of range. Here is a sample picture taken at a local beach just under 200 feet of altitude.

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Sweet shot Dave!! I know Kelly was talking about trying to do this with his GoPro last summer. Should provide some spectacular shots!

There are a couple of professional photogs back east using these setups for the big ACBS shows and their footage has been unique and beautiful!!

But, how are you gonna fly this thing while piloting your boat with the rest of us??
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
      But, how are you gonna fly this thing while piloting your boat with the rest of us??
      With all due modesty, it's called multitasking. Any multi-rotor pilot with more than 30 minutes flight experience like me should not find it difficult to accomplish this. Technically, the device uses a combination of GPS and input from a on board flux compass to establish position and heading to a position tolerance of about 3 m. You establish a home point and gets in trouble or low on battery power it automatically right back there. Range is variable depending on altitude but averages 700 to 800 m.
      Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

I will finish my post. If you don't mind, where did you get the unit, what model is it, and how much did you pay for it?
        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
        14' Stilleto

Comment

Totally neat idea, Dave, can't wait to see it in action, brings a whole new perspective, so to speak.....

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            I will finish my post. If you don't mind, where did you get the unit, what model is it, and how much did you pay for it?
            Hey Karl
            You Should have been able to Edit your old post (they one I deleted) and then just added on to it.
            If that ever happens again give it a try
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI View Post
              I purchased a medium priced quad copter with attached camera. I think this will be the perfect thing for photographing boats. While not exactly cheap this particular one seems to be the optimal combination of capabilities and price. Think of it as photographing boats as they pass under the Deception Pass Bridge. Except in this case, the camera stays with the boats rather than shortly going out of range. Here is a sample picture taken at a local beach just under 200 feet of altitude.

This why I like what you do Dave. You are our Tech guy for sure...
              Kelly might become a good friend of yours as he was wanting to get something like that for the club.

If the club would have been more fluid, I would have asked if we could have gotten one, but.......Working on it.

Way Cool Dave !!!!
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI View Post
                With all due modesty, it's called multitasking. Any multi-rotor pilot with more than 30 minutes flight experience like me should not find it difficult to accomplish this. Technically, the device uses a combination of GPS and input from a on board flux compass to establish position and heading to a position tolerance of about 3 m. You establish a home point and gets in trouble or low on battery power it automatically right back there. Range is variable depending on altitude but averages 700 to 800 m.
                Is that Meters? I have enough trouble what we use here. I mean come on, how am I going to teach my Grand kids about Inch worm, Inch worm when I have to use Milometer worm.......Doesn't sound right

Should have read all the posting on this thread as I duped your post Brian, sorry. Said what you said already.

Dave, Multitasking you say. Hell, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at my age. Of course I have to remember to bring gum too

Oh, and by the way, you need to work on your Profile or Avatar picture......Just saying
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar,

Okay, here is the deal. The whole world is now metric and when you go into the machine shop like I you can convert from inch to metric by flipping a switch. So that when you deal in the international market (European, Japan, and for the most part Great Britain now.) You need to convert back and forth really fast. Most Germans can't relate to the inch system worth a darn. So here are a few of the guidelines: meter is about 39.4 inches, so for practical purposes of estimation use yards and you only be about 10% too small. If you wish to be much more accurate you configure a meter by yards and multiply the total by 10% and add it on. Similarly with respect to kilometers, a kilometer is about five eights a mile or multiply by .6 to convert. Therefore, hundred kilometers is about 60 miles (62.137). High-speed trains in Europe do about 250 km/h or 155 mph (6×25 = 150). In all seriousness, if you study this for five minutes you will understand it.
                  Attached Files
                  Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptVJGrOpyok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaV60Mrp8e0

the above will give you a reasonable introduction to the topic. This model tops out at about $1500.
                    Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Working...
                    X