Help, help, help!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, help, help!!!

A friend loaned me a late model Mercury 4 stroke 2 hp outboard to use for a day of crabbing. The clamp to one of the brackets that holds the motor to transom broke as I attempted to loosen it to go over the transom. It was frozen and I twisted too hard. I went to the local Mercury outboard dealership and he said the bracket is no longer available. So, I went online with the part number (10-898103A66) and got the same answer everywhere I went. If I, at 81 years old, can snap that cheap little plastic thing off by hand, there was must hundreds of those little motors setting around totally unuseable. I would have thought there would be a replacement part number or one could be pulled off a junk outboard somewhere. I don't want to tell my friend what I did to his motor (which I then didn't even get to use). I need help and help now to get a replacement. Any ideas? Anyone? Please!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

eBay or a local marine surplus will probably be your best bet. Unless Tom sees this thread and chimes in. Not sure what he has laying around his shop.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Seaway marine in Lynwood might be able to replace both screws and handles with something updated. It also looks possible to make a new one out of a piece of plastic.

Comment

Thanks John. I give Seaway Marine a try. If it were my motor, I'd put something together but I borrowed the motor from a friend and want to give it back to him in very good condition.

Comment

Thanks John. I had no luck on eBay and Pacific Marine Exchange in Bellingham, where I used to find everything I ever needed, closed its doors last year. Tom, Tom, where are you? I don't know when my friend is going to ask where his outboard is that he loaned me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1 View Post
            Thanks John. I had no luck on eBay and Pacific Marine Exchange in Bellingham, where I used to find everything I ever needed, closed its doors last year. Tom, Tom, where are you? I don't know when my friend is going to ask where his outboard is that he loaned me.
            I just sent you a Privet Message with Thom Adams (Dr Frankinmerc) phone number.

In the upper right side of your screen, you should see Notifications, My Profile, Settings, and Log Out.... You should click on Notifications and you would find the message there.
            I would call you but we try not to use phone numbers in the texts here but your "My Profile" is not up to date so I can't call you.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X