Skagit trim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit trim

Hi all. I'm getting the transom on my '58 Skagit Offshore back together, and thinking about the future phases of restoration. One of the aspects of the boat I really like is the aluminum trim, and I checked carefully to see that all was present before I bought the boat. As you might imagine, it is not in particularly good shape.

I've removed the sliding side windows and frames, and in addition to a good cleaning (including scraping off gobs of silicone sealant) there are a number of scuffs and scratches that need to be removed. I also had to cut about half the frozen screws out of the frames. The side and front cabin window trim is also scratched and dull. So, I have two questions for you experts:

1. Does anyone know if the aluminum was originally anodized? If so I'll give it the caustic treatment to strip it off before sanding and polishing.
    2. Anybody tried to remove the side trim? Looks like it is held on by mild steel screws which would be impossible to remove intact. Could those be holding clips, so the trim could be pried up, as on an automobile? I haven't had the nerve to try that yet.

Thanks for any advice. I've started a blog on this project if anyone is interested. Not a lot of content yet, but I'm committed to add to it as I go. http://scottsskagit.blogspot.com/

Scott

2 I've had some luck drilling or grinding the heads off then going after them with a visegrip and torch.

Comment

This will help answer some questions...
      http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...=Skagit+window

Comment

Originally posted by fidalgo View Post
        Hi all. I'm getting the transom on my '58 Skagit Offshore back together, and thinking about the future phases of restoration. One of the aspects of the boat I really like is the aluminum trim, and I checked carefully to see that all was present before I bought the boat. As you might imagine, it is not in particularly good shape.

I've removed the sliding side windows and frames, and in addition to a good cleaning (including scraping off gobs of silicone sealant) there are a number of scuffs and scratches that need to be removed. I also had to cut about half the frozen screws out of the frames. The side and front cabin window trim is also scratched and dull. So, I have two questions for you experts:

1. Does anyone know if the aluminum was originally anodized? If so I'll give it the caustic treatment to strip it off before sanding and polishing.
        2. Anybody tried to remove the side trim? Looks like it is held on by mild steel screws which would be impossible to remove intact. Could those be holding clips, so the trim could be pried up, as on an automobile? I haven't had the nerve to try that yet.

Thanks for any advice. I've started a blog on this project if anyone is interested. Not a lot of content yet, but I'm committed to add to it as I go. http://scottsskagit.blogspot.com/

Scott
        Hi Scott.
        Everyone that I have ever pulled and restored was anodized.
        I don't have any trim off but kind of remember several types.
        One was it was Slotted. The bolt when it and did a 1/4 turn to lock it into its holding spot. (Wish I had a picture but don't)
        I think the heads have to be ground off. We did find some of those type clips but for the life of me, can't remember were. I think the biggest problem was getting them in Stainless steel, but got them. They were Automotive clips as I remember.
        Helmar

I just looked up your account, yours should be Supporting Member so something is screwy. I will look into that too.
        Helmar
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you Helmar and Kelly for the feedback on my aluminum trim. I've stripped off the anodizing on the exterior window frames using oven cleaner, and will sand out the nicks and scrapes and polish them up in the next couple months. Will be leaving the hull trim in place and doing what I can to make it presentable. Removing it opens a whole can of worms that I'm not willing to deal with at this stage.

Sad to hear that this site may go away. I've benefited from past postings. Never been able to see pictures in the gallery, though. My Offshore was originally red over white, and would like to see other boats with this paint scheme. In the next couple months I'll be deciding whether to go back to red or stay with the repaint, which is a nice blue color.

Thanks for keeping this website active, and hope it continues!

Scott
          http://scottsskagit.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you Helmar and Kelly for the feedback on my aluminum trim. I've stripped off the anodizing on the exterior window frames using oven cleaner, and will sand out the nicks and scrapes and polish them up in the next couple months. Will be leaving the hull trim in place and doing what I can to make it presentable. Removing it opens a whole can of worms that I'm not willing to deal with at this stage.

Sad to hear that this site may go away. I've benefited from past postings. Never been able to see pictures in the gallery, though. My Offshore was originally red over white, and would like to see other boats with this paint scheme. In the next couple months I'll be deciding whether to go back to red or stay with the repaint, which is a nice blue color.

Thanks for keeping this website active, and hope it continues!

Scott
            http://scottsskagit.blogspot.com/
            Scott, You can see pictures in the posts, yes, no ?
            How about in the forum list, scrolling down, do you see Club Business, then under that, Members Forum, Club Affairs Discussion ??

After we came back to the Vbulletin forum software, the Gallery was never hooked back up to it. It may have been one of the programs that was a subscription program were we had to pay a yearly fee.
            I will check into that and see and try to get the Gallery back up as it has a Bunch of pictures of past events and such in it.

I want to make sure your account is set right. I see it says Member were it Should say Supporting Member. Supporting Member you should see the Club Business section.
            Just let me know if you can see that please.

Helmar
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I just read over your blog, nice work! Glad you've learned a lot from this site. You should add some of your work here for others to see and learn from you as your work looks pretty solid.

Comment

Yes, Helmar, I can see the Club Business section. Guess that means I'm a Supporting Member?

Would really like to see event pictures and whatever else has been posted, if it's not too much trouble, and am sure others would as well.

Thanks for the kind words on my work so far. I'll think about appropriate things to post to this site.

One thing I was really hoping this site could help me with is an original windshield frame. Clint had one when I bought my Offshore from him but after careful measurement I determined it was from a larger boat, and didn't think it could be cut down to fit a 20. I don't suppose one of the original molds is kicking around somewhere?

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Yes, Helmar, I can see the Club Business section. Guess that means I'm a Supporting Member?

Would really like to see event pictures and whatever else has been posted, if it's not too much trouble, and am sure others would as well.

Thanks for the kind words on my work so far. I'll think about appropriate things to post to this site.

One thing I was really hoping this site could help me with is an original windshield frame. Clint had one when I bought my Offshore from him but after careful measurement I determined it was from a larger boat, and didn't think it could be cut down to fit a 20. I don't suppose one of the original molds is kicking around somewhere?

Thanks,

Scott
                  Yes, then you Are a supporting member and thank to Ed Brown, that now shows up under your username in the posts.

We used to use a program called PhotoPost which was a Sharing photo program.
                  How this worked was if we had a event, I would be able to start a heading, such as Mason 2017 and post my photos in it. Then Any supporting member was also able to do so, they would be able to upload all the photos that they took of the event as well. Pretty sweet program.

It also worked very well on projects and restorations as you could talk about your restoration on the form, have a few pictures if wanted but link it back to the Photopost program. So, things like Transom replacement or whatever. Even Restoration, Month 1, 2, 3 to show progress.

The problem was, we lost supporters and that was a Subscription licensed program. We had to pay to keep the license going each year.
                  Sorry but I forget what that cost was at the moment. (Not the best person of keeping records filed, I have them but lots of digging)

We still have all of our data, pictures and such but it will cost us another $130 dollars for the upgraded PhotoPost program just to get all of our photos to show up again.

We also have a program that is called vBGallery by Scandal that is we have running right now.
                  The big problem is trying to get all the data and images moved over to it with some sort of organizing as so they are not just thrown into a big pile of scattered photos.
                  Meaning, no Import, Export seems to be available that we can find as of yet.

Normally I will never purchase any software program unless they Do have a Import and Export feature. This was not my call on the Photopost program when it was purchased.
                  So here we are, stuck.

It was working fine but I got stupid and tried to move to the Xenforo Forum software. Big, BIG mistake. There were some of the programmers that broke away from Vbulletin to start that company and at the the time, Vbulletin was moving forward with a new version of there forum software but reviews said it was buggy as hell, And, they were going to Forces us to upgrade.
                  My mistake, I jumped ship to the Xenforo software and it was a total nightmare to try to setup and run.
                  It Also said it had a good Import and Export feature but later on, found that the Xenforo boys did something to it as to Export back to Vbulletin, it lost Lots of Data, like userneames passwords, different files. It did not work never the less.

Thanks to Ed Brown who knew enough about Vbulletin that he was able to migrate things back as best as possible.
                  Our Photopost program was setup for the Xenforo. Photopost, at it would not go back to Vbulletin without having to purchase the whole program again.

I guess I could have just said, It does not work any longer and not have to be yammering on about it, but, felt like I wanted to explain what happened.

Helmar
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I'm working on one a little too My frame is broke in three places and bent out of shape. I should have it in shape by the end of summer to take a mold from if you don't find a better one.

Comment

Wow, Helmar. This sounds like a nightmare! The details help me and others appreciate what a job it is to keep a site like this operating. Wish I could help, but am not wise in these ways.

Scott

Comment

Thanks for the offer, John. Let's keep in touch, and good luck.

Scott

Comment

John I have one available off of the boat if you want to make a mold from it.

Comment

Scott can you post a picture of the frame you have? I wonder if it's the one off of the 17 convertible?
                            Does it look like this?
                            Last edited by Kelly; 01-15-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

If it is that same windshield I'd be interested in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X