Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Skagit 20'

Hello all
    I'm new to classic boats I've acquired a 1958 Skagit it's missing a lot there's no windows
    None of the chrome trim or any of the cockpit as I'm located in central Alberta Canada I've not had
    The privilage of seeing any of these boats I'm hopeing to find pics of inside cockpit for inspiration to point me in the right direction for my own restoration , also I'd like to thank helmar for assistance in setting up my account

Originally posted by wallsguy View Post
    Hello all
    I'm new to classic boats I've acquired a 1958 Skagit it's missing a lot there's no windows
    None of the chrome trim or any of the cockpit as I'm located in central Alberta Canada I've not had
    The privilage of seeing any of these boats I'm hopeing to find pics of inside cockpit for inspiration to point me in the right direction for my own restoration , also I'd like to thank helmar for assistance in setting up my account

Welcome aboard. We know Skagits and have pictures to share. You can sure look in the gallery as its kind of a mess right now but you should see some in it too.

First things first, post pictures of your Skagit and then give everyone a idea on what you wanting to do with her.
    Not too many 17's or 20's that have been put back stock because they were pretty basic looking.

The help area should show you want to look for to upload images. In the little bar above this window should be the second to the last icon that if you put your cursor over it, it should say Insert Image.
    You can post up to 20 at a time.

Enjoy and looking forward to seeing pictures of you boat.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hello all its been a busy month since creating my account and starting my skagit project I'd like to thank Clint and Bruce for sharing many photos and ideas with me over the first couple days helping point me in the direction I've chosen to go And make the boat enjoyable.
      So over the past month I've replaced my floor (previous owner added layer plywood ontop nocking wingnut drain on bottom of fuel tank loose allowing fuel between the two layers so lots of rot) I've also replaced splashwell ,made cockpit seat boxes so a bench across back and captain chair with storage compartment then the big job was fiberglass repair my windshield frame was in six pieces and my cabin window post were broken through on right side and centre , then I finally got to paint it's not perfect but looks good to me and its not like she's a trailer queen anyways lol
      image.jpg
      image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
      Last edited by wallsguy; 06-11-2015, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Lol sorry I'm having trouble posting pictures I'm trying to do it from my phone

image.jpgLimage.jpgimage.jpg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wallsguy; 06-11-2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Hello all I'm still slowly picking away at the Skagit I'm curious does anyone have Skagit emblem they'd be interested in selling?

Comment

Originally posted by wallsguy View Post
            Hello all I'm still slowly picking away at the Skagit I'm curious does anyone have Skagit emblem they'd be interested in selling?
            I don't remember anyone that did the castings with the Skagit emblems. I know Marty at Island Boat Shop did up the Bell Boy emblems and those were quite pricey to get them cast. I remember doing all the clean up work on those getting them ready to be chromed.

We might have some of the artwork on the ones for the Skagits but those were only used in decals. I will try searching the disk as that is what some of that stuff is on.

I have Nothing on my 59 Skagit offshore that says what she is.

I can't remember now but I was able to score this boat from Canada. Its just been so long ago I forget were it came out of.

Anyone have any Skagit Graphics ??
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Hi !
              Let's see, think your name is David ? So I reproduced the two different size Skagit emblems back in 2003. They had two - 5 1/2 inch and 11 inch as I recall both were in a stylized script and had posts on the back to attach to the boat. Must have done over a dozen pairs of each,(in solid bronze w/ chrome plating)- and was lucky to find a small foundry to do them. When they were all sold out, approached him again and he didn't want to do it, even with a sweetened price per piece. You'd be surprised at the cost then-when the plating was all in- $175 PER PAIR for the large, $95 small. Today, if I could find a shop to do the casting- more than twice, as environmental safeguards for the plating industry has driven most out of business and prices...up.
              Unfortunately, I didn't save any spares, even for my boats.
              No worries though, as one of our members went to a decal/vinyl shop that used their database of fonts to create a design that looked just like the original emblems in a chrome sheet. So you could work with a local place near you and get those done.
              Your paint job turned out very cool, btw, love the color and the shapes of the stripe and cabin detail are right on. The year design on the paint is 1958, so your emblems would be the 11" style. I think I have your email address, so can send you a pic to show placement.
              Congrats on the work so far, good to hear from you, hope the boat hits water soon, remember to get pics of it moving !

Comment

I traced some onto 3/16 copper and cut them out, with filing and polishing it took a couple weeks and $100 for chroming. They must be ok the originalty police have never busted me. The guys at the chrome shop said it would be better if Id used nickel instead. I think the front windshield is a 56 Ford sedan cut in half with the center corners ground.

Comment

John- Hey, that sounded like a great idea, neat solution !

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
                    I traced some onto 3/16 copper and cut them out, with filing and polishing it took a couple weeks and $100 for chroming. They must be ok the originalty police have never busted me. The guys at the chrome shop said it would be better if Id used nickel instead. I think the front windshield is a 56 Ford sedan cut in half with the center corners ground.
                    I don't think I ever seen those ??

I kind of remember that far back as we were the Skagit club back then and the one making things happen was Bruce. (I still have my Skagit Hat Bruce

I know later on we ended up with the Zazzle thing which is kind of ok but We can submit graphics to them and they produce the items for us. That is kind of neat in a way.
                    Any interest in that Bruce ? I really liked you designs as I know everyone else did too.

Anyway, Yes, I have No graphics or placards on my 20 Skagit but can't remember who came up with them. Does anyone else remember who that might have been ??

On the windshield, yes, Marty went thought that with the replacement glass for the helm and was having issues making them fit.
                    If it was me, I would get the glass cut to fit and then Fit the Frame to the glass as I know over the years they will deform some. On Bruce Drakes 21 foot Bell Boy, I remember it was sagging int middle and the glass was trying to pop out on the sides so when no one was looking, I went after it with a hack saw and relieved all the pressure points until I could get the windows and frames to just flat "Lay" into position evenly all the way around. No forcing anything to fit.
                    We also had to put a bridge under the front of the Cabin windows as it had sagged over the years as it came from the Nevada heat.

Ed Browns Bell Boy which is the same boat, the helm frame looks good but nothing to go by, even the aluminum frame.
                    Same with his cabin windows so my hopes is that will not be too much of a issue. I have the oven for bending so once I make up the windows for it (1/4" Plex, not poly) if I have to modify the frames, I know how. Ed's boat will be out in the Ocean so I have to make sure if he takes one over the bow, they will hold !!!.

So, Yes, even the graphics design would be nice, much better than a magic marker and writing Skagit 20
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Any updated pics to share?

I'm the one Bruce was talking about for the repros. I got them from a great guy on eBay, Dave Shabasteri. Look for classic boat decals. He can do just about any color, most sizes, and will work with you on font selection if needed. Great pricing too and he is a fellow boater. I used him to do the Bell Boy logo as well as the name. I only ended up putting the name on as I got some metal script logos from Marty. I did, however, put one set on the interior seats and will put another on my door interior to cover up a pesky knot in the wood.
                      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                      Past Affairs:
                      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Picked up some plexiglass to make Windows made templates put on hard top had to make supports[ATTACH=CONFIG]14816[/AT
                        IMG_3434.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]14817[/ATTACH]
                        TACH]
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by wallsguy; 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM. Reason: Try add pictures

Comment

David- Very nice progress, one project within a project and a step towards getting the cruiser on the water ! cool !

Comment

I touched up your photo, hope you don't mind. It's a good looking '58 with a great color choice. Was it originally a hardtop boat or did you make the hardtop? I saw you had to make the support rods.

canadian hardtop.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X