Slough Run Next Saturday (!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slough Run Next Saturday (!)

February is a short month every single year...but it seems to be flying by especially fast in 2009. Next Saturday is the annual Slough Run event, involving boats that run down the Sammamish Slough from Lake Sammamish as well as member boats that cruise Lake Washington from a launch point at Coulon Park, Renton.

Slough Runners will depart Lake Sammamish State Park at 10 a.m. Saturday, running the length of the lake before entering the 11-mile-long Slough. After pausing briefly at the rowing-club float just upstream from the fish weir, boaters will drift downstream through the 'whitewater' section below the weir, otherwise known as the willow run, before proceeding under power the rest of the way to Lake Washington.

Most Slough Runners will also pause at the Kenmore launching ramp (next to the Kenmore bridge, as the Slough opens into Lake Washington), before heading south across Lake Washington to Coulon Park.

We know there will be two boats coming up, once again, from Portland to join in the fun. Who's planning on running the Slough from our group, and who's intending to launch at Coulon and cruise Lake Washington, greeting the Slough Runners as they emerge into the lake at Kenmore?

Having recently sold my only Slough-running boat, I'll be offering logistical support this year, taking photos at the Lake Sammamish starting point, and supplying coffee at the Kenmore launch ramp before heading for Coulon Park, to help shuttle Slough Runners to their tow rigs back at Lake Sammamish State Park.

If anyone else can help with shuttle duty, that'll be great.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, will launch at Coulon and head to Kenmore to greet the Slough Runners. Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I plan on launching at Coulon as well. Will also be able to shuttle Slough runners back to Sammamish if need be.

Chuck, what time do you plan on arriving at Coulon? How long does it take to run up to Kenmore? I'm thinking the run will take somewhere around an hour an half. You've done this before, so let me know what you think. Thanks.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I'll be at Coulon and will make the run to Kenmore also. See you there.
        Thanks, Westerner
        Kent & Diane
        '58 Westerner

Comment

Steve, I think i will leave Coulon about 9:30 am and should take about 45 min to Kenmore. That's if you had a " Faster N U " 1986 50 hp " Classic Evinrude ", not one of those home ...whatever you call it. Just kidding ! ...really. Best, Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I'll just follow the smoke trail and oil sheen to Kenmore. Just kidding Chuck, really.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

If all works out, I'll be launching at Sandpoint, and quietly but swiftly cruising over to Kenmore and up the slew a ways...
              ChuckB
              "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Question; I haven't made this event in the past and I'm wondering what the approximate fuel consumption might be from Coulon to Kenmore ,round trip. I assume 23-25 mph cruising speed with a 50HP. I was planning on carrying 12-15 gal of fuel, would this be enough? Is fuel available in Kenmore? Thanks.
                Kent & Diane
                '58 Westerner

Comment

Fuel Consumption

Kent and Diane =

You should be fine with 15 gallons, for sure. I ran a 50 Honda like yours the length of Puget Sound (and back) on 18 gallons.

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Where's all the Adventurers???

So I have a full boat load of people "again" this year and we will be running at least Sammamish and the Slough, although we are hoping to finnally be able to get the old Havoc down to Coulon point. We have suffered prop damage and mis calculated fuel consumption problems two years in a row now ending our day at Kenmore. But not this year!!!

I have also convinced my father not to try the row boat again this year so hopefully we can actaully stay with the group for once...

Our team is attempting to plan a shuttle for our large group which will hopefully be able to fit a few extras for rides back to Sammamish.

Hoping not to be the only boat making the full trip...
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Team "NO FEAR" (Greg & I) will be there, in this year's entry... to over-eat at IHOP, brave the mighty fish-weir and willow obstacle course, and hopefully avoid the shallows and submerged items along the way to emerge upon the mighty Lake Washington, and plow through the wind and chop and finally come to rest, gently nestled up to the dock at Coulon park.

Comment

Adventurers

Planning to bring the free boat and hope it keeps running. I'll bring a tow rope.LOL I don't have a prop. Of course steering is almost non existant at slow speed so the oars are coming too. Barry
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm planning on contributing by taking photos. I know of a couple of good places for shots of boats coming down the slough, everyone feel free to suggest places I can get to on foot that would present good photo ops. I haven't been on the slough above Bothell landing in 30 years, so if anyone has a suggestion on spots that tend to be exciting let me know.

Also, I could use some timing tips if possible, like when I should expect the first boats to enter the slough, pass downtown Redmond, Bothell landing, etc.

I can also help with shuttle service from Coulon to Kenmore or Sammamish.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk, post: 978
                            Planning to bring the free boat and hope it keeps running. I'll bring a tow rope.LOL I don't have a prop. Of course steering is almost non existant at slow speed so the oars are coming too. Barry
                            Barry, that boat looks interesting.
                            Need more pictures and details on it.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Slough boat

Joe
                              The only thing I could come up with free that runs. 14' Bayliner Reflex.
                              Three cyl. two stroke 90hp jet. Top end about 35. Typical jet, slow off the mark but once it gets up on plane you can do crazy things with it. It looks better cleaned up and with the windshield on but the hand hold is good enough for the slough. I'll be selling that after the run before it gets me in trouble. Barry
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X