Impeller lube?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller lube?

When you change out an impeller in the water pump, does it need any lubrication? I was thinking maybe a light coat of grease? Rubber on aluminum seems like a lot of friction, but maybe the water acts as the lube?

With any luck, next week I'll be starting up that engine I've been rebuilding all winter.
    Attached Files
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Lube it with whatever grease you have, water soluble the best. It will save the impellar on startup. ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Good looking motor!

Comment

Impeller lube

Impeller lube.......

I use waterless hand cleaner without pumice. Main ingredient in hand cleaner is mineral oil.

McSkagit
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

make it slippery

when ever i rebuild and engine, I pack the oil pump with vaseline. It insures an instant suction from the sump and simply dissolves when the engine heats up.
          It is also perfect for impellers for the same reason (don't pack the impeller...just wipe some around the rubber fins), provides start up lube, makes the impeller cover slide on easy, and when the water heats up...its gone!
          1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
          1960 Hi Laker 15'**
          1957 Skagit 20 express*
          1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
          *= previous completed projects
          **=finished and still using
          ***= in progress

Comment

Working...
          X