X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bell Boy owner '55 BB 18'

Bell boy is Home in Idaho
    Thanks Mark !! and hello to everyone --

7 hour drive to Silverdale, Wa + 3 hours of smiles and business + 10 hours to drive home ( includes a wee nap at rest stop ) and taa-daa, a 20 hour whirlwind Bell Boy extravaganza.
    A little introduction : My name is Matt Jablon and I live in Sandpoint, Idaho. So... I really got into boating when I started at Hope Marine Services in Hope, Idaho 7 years ago, although I have been a sucker for projects a whole lot longer. I started out at HMS running their upholstery shop which I took over for them, but since have taken over as the shop manager. I'm a Honda Outboard and Volvo/ Penta certified mechanic and attend school every year so that HMS and I stay current. My day at work can go from a 15' Gregor to a 44' Carver motor yacht. Check out hopemarine.com .
    About 3 years ago I saved a picture of a Bell Boy express cruiser as my screen saver and have been in search of since. I found this site and found Marks ad and I am now a very proud owner of a 1955 Bell Boy Express Cruiser 18. Day one home and I have the first sanding done. I'll keep a log and update as it goes.
    Thanks -- Matt J.

Welcome to the forum

Good luck with your restoration and love to see progress photo's . Sounds like you have the experience and the facility so it will be nice to see another Bellingham Boat restored and on the water. I used to run a resort in "Mack's Inn"
    Idaho by Rexburg, beautiful area. I was there during the Yellowstone wild fire. Pretty exciting. Look forward to the progress shots ! :Skipper1:
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Welcome Matt! Glad to see that she went to such a good home. We look forward to seeing pics as she comes along.

Comment

We will be in Sandpoint for the boat show in two weeks and would love to meet you if you are around. This is my fifth year at the show and it gets better and better every year. I am going to bring one of my glass boats this year and my Dad is bringing his wooden outboard.

Good luck on your Bellboy. It looks like it is going to be a great project!
        Attached Files
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I am sure you will love this boat. Mine is presently undergoing restoration at Helmar's Boat shop in Quilcene. I am eagerly awaiting my first cruise.
          Attached Files
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Bb18

Matt
            I am glad the BB18 has found a good home. If you send me an email address I can send you some photos of when it was in the blackberry patch in Astoria Oregon. It would be fun at some event to have a line up of the BB16, 18 and 21 express models.
            Bruce H. Drake
            1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
            1957 Norseman 19' woodie
            1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
            1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

BB18 progress report - in Idaho

Howdy All --
              Thanks to everyone for the kudos and support. I now have the port-side wet sanded to a very clean starting point. Starboard tomorrow ? ...

A Few questions to your answers and a few answers to your questions :

Brian - I have not been able to attend the wooden boat show here in Sandpoint for quite awhile; I Do work at a marina and this is summer. Work work work. I am at HMS Tues. thru sat. till 6pm and beyond. If you get a chance to head out to Hope when you are here, please say hello. We can get together at the Floating Restaurant at the marina.

Jack & Kathie-Thanks for the photos. any and all info. and pics you can share would be appreciated. So are the thru hulls on each side just at water level ? Have you ever had it in the water?

Bruce- you may contact me as well as anyone who has got BB cruiser info. or pics or ideas to share at travelmatt@hotmail.com
              Peace - Matt J.

Comment

Matt,

We put it in the water once to change trailers from the much too short single axle, to a double axle that actually fits.

It immediately began taking on water through all the overboard drains which had rotted out over the years it sat idle. Quick work and the help of many friends got it on the new trailer before it disappeared from view. :shocked4:

These items are being addressed during the rehab. The overboard toilet must go. The sink is optional. We plan to use the toilet drain as a water pickup for a wash down pump. Ours is planned to be a "Sea Life Harvester" :fishing: and will need to be cleaned on a regular basis while in use.

We have included down riggers and Crab pot pullers on the list of improvements to be installed during the rehab.

We expect it to be seaworthy if not actually complete by next spring.
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
                X