Handbook? Code of ethics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbook? Code of ethics?

I'm not sure if I missed something signing up here. I read through the FAQ pages and I don't see the terms of use agreement. Or anything about the advertising.
    I know I use this website as a reference to pursue my bliss playing with these old boats, so I personally don't mind being turned on to people or businesses that help me to do so.
    Please remit the rules if possible, so I don't quack out of turn, or in the wrong spot. Thanks - Ross
    Ross Henson

My .02 cents worth.

I'm hoping this club doesn't need to make a bunch of rules and regulations. I don't want to be walking on egg shells everytime I post a message.

I've been banned from other forums for recommending vendors to other members. My only intent was in helping the person out with a problem they had. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. (The webmaster didn't agree)

It's nice to get recommendations regarding local business's and what they can do for us in restoring and keeping our boats up. Like the restoration page, it's good information to have at hand.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

My Fault...

Steve and Ross -

There aren't many rules regarding this forum, but Tim is right in suggesting that we aren't supposed to promote our own personal businesses on the forum, so I was wrong to mention the boatshop in responding to Terry's question about windshield replacement. We've tried to only show what we're doing at the shop in the context of sharing information that might be helpful to other members...and as mentioned elsewhere I'm hardly trying to promote the idea of doing more cabin windows and windshields, since they're a pure pain in the rear, but I shouldn't have said anything that could be construed as an ad.

Apologies to anyone who might have taken offense.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Just my two cents.

If you were to advertise yard care, then I would think that is wrong.
        If I was to advertise transom replacement, I would think that is wrong.
        If I was in the business to sell Bearcats, to advertise Bearcats, that would be wrong.
        If I was to say Bill Roberts can help you, is a member, is into Bearcats, has all the parts and can help you, I would say that is OK.

People looking for replacement glass or plex, I would think its ok to say, Contact Tim Jones or Marty at Island boat shop.

In the grand scheme of things we were heading towards getting the big corporate companies to advertise on the system for us as to let them help pay the expenses.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I was honestly unaware of what the rules are. I had entertained the notion I might offer a service that might have interested a few members (or not). I am very glad now I didn't. I wouldn't want to lose my amateur standing . The work I have been doing is only on my own stuff, and I look forward to exchanging ideas and learning from all involved. Thanks again, Onward! - Ross
          Ross Henson

Comment

Just a thought...couldn't members advertise their services in the classified ad section, or a newly created section. The main forum remains free of ads, but why not let folks both advertise and seek out (paid) assistance in a different section?
            Jennie

Comment

Originally posted by Friendship II, post: 1673
              Just a thought...couldn't members advertise their services in the classified ad section, or a newly created section. The main forum remains free of ads, but why not let folks both advertise and seek out (paid) assistance in a different section?
              Jennie
              I don't think this is a good idea due to the statement I made a few posts back.
              The grand scheme of things we were heading towards getting the big corporate companies to advertise on the system for us as to let them help pay the expenses.

If we let little guys advertise for no cost, then its discrimination.

This brings up a good point.
              People want to advertise on our system. We need to come up with some sort of scale and fees associated with them, must make them more than fair.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Links to and from this site

Howdy Joe,
                My website is about to go live (April 1st) and would like to link to and from this site. Are links considered advertising?

closeencountersecotours.com

McSkagit
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

i have spent the past few years on a very large hotrod site called the jalopy journal, its message board (HAMB) has a section called the HAMB O'dex, it is for the members to list their names and what services they offer (no none member), no pricing or anything else and other members and post notes to say they like or disliked their service (deadbeats are found out quick). The site still has companies lining up to advertise. I think having a place to list members service only helps the new members like myself who have no clue who to contact (without having to ask on the main board every time they are looking for help) and potentially grow the club (make them be a member to list their name and service.. no ads, no prices, no parts etc...)

just a pennies worth of input from a very new member.

Comment

I like Boone's idea. I don't see why a list of members that offer services would interfere with paid advertising from larger companies. I don't really think it would be discrimination, after all no one is getting preferential treatment (or not getting it) due to their age, race, sex, boat type, 2 or 4 stroke preference etc.

Aren't ad rates usually based on space used, exposure time, etc.? If we place a personal ad in the Seattle Times want ads we don't pay the same "per inch" rate that a car dealer pays for a 3" block of space. It seems that a company paying for a prominent ad that can be seen by any one visiting the site would expect that they were paying more than a paid member who had a one line listing in a forum that was only seen by registered users.

Just my six cents worth

Comment

We may have to poll this topic to see how paid members feel about it.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 1688
                        Howdy Joe,
                        My website is about to go live (April 1st) and would like to link to and from this site. Are links considered advertising?

closeencountersecotours.com

McSkagit
                        Hi Tim.
                        NO problem on the linking back to us.
                        Carol and I can get link on the website the next time she does upgrades to it.
                        Let us know when it goes live too

I also looked at your Public Profile, way to hustle and get pictures on it.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

How to Advertise Services on This Website For Free

We already have a way to do this...at least a way for services offered by paid members to be detailed for free--the Resources Guide we launched earlier, and which needs more listings. (Go to Home Page, click on Resources Guide.)

Our initial list of service providers tended to focus on the better-known 'commercial' companies like Wefco Rubber, but we also listed Bill Roberts as a source of Bearcat engines and parts; Norm Boddy (really just an individual operating out of his house); Doug Brooke in Spokane (another individual selling outboard parts out of his basement), Dick Dow's wife Kathy for upholstery work, etc, so there's no reason why NWCBC members who offer services to others should not be part of the club's Resource Guide.

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of talking about my business when answering a question about windshield replacement--that was wrong, and it appeared to some that I was self-promoting, in addition to simply trying to help the member with his windshield challenge. My mistake, as I've said elsewhere here. So we shouldn't be puffing-up our own services on the forum, but there's no reason why services or products members offer shouldn't be incorporated into the Resources Guide. (And the Resources Guide can obviously include links to service providers' websites, as it does already.)

As others have said, there's no reason why members shouldn't have access to information on what other members might be able to offer in terms of help with outboard repair, windshield replacement, transom repair, painting or what-have-you. If non-members want to have their services included in the list...well, they have to join the club as paid members first.

Joe and Carol plan to develop regular paid display ads for the website, too, but as Joe has suggested, the main goal would be to seek real advertising money for those ads and go after the larger companies such as Fisheries Supply, West Marine, etc.

If any member wants their service or appropriate, boat-related product listed in the Resource Guide, they should simply e-mail the details to me. I'll edit the copy so there's continuity with the format established--if necessary--and add them to the Resources Guide list. (Just e-mail a description of your service to Marty@islandboatshop.com.)

Guess that's my 1.5 cents worth...

- Marty
                          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Looks like it will go live monday afternoon April 6th. I'll be proofing all the copy over the weekend. Steve Pierce is in town. Will check out the Reactor give him the tour of the 31 tomorrow.

McSkagit
                            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
                            X