Bearcat 85hp back on the boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat 85hp back on the boat.

I haven't ran the 85hp this year on the boat, haven't really tried it since I added the louvers in the hood. So after another day of :fishing: on the lake I changed out engines this afternoon and we'll be taking it out in the Columbia in the morning. I'm amazed at how easily it fires off. It seems to idling fine which was where I've had the biggest hurdle, 600rpm, no problem now with the hood on. :GoodJob: Couple videos, one at first startup and the second is after it has warmed up.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj67KPR9xbk&videos=Ow7k_qfqxjo&feature=BF"]YouTube - Bearcat 85hp startup 2010[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXIyodRp2Qw&videos=Ow7k_qfqxjo&feature=BF"]YouTube - Bearcat 85hp 2010[/nomedia]
    Attached Files
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Looks fishy to me ...

So, Dick ...

When do you think you'll get that thing running right?

Sure sounds sweet, :cool1: I'd love to see a video of it cruising!

I just got Greg's 55 assembled last night, just need to fill it with oil and wire it and it's ready to fire up. It looks pretty funky, since it was put together from several different motors it's four different colors. I wanted to paint the block pink just so I could see the look on his face when he pulled the hood, but couldn't find any pink engine enamel at the local parts store so I settled for GM blue.

Tim
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 14045
      So, Dick ...

When do you think you'll get that thing running right?

Sure sounds sweet, :cool1: I'd love to see a video of it cruising!

I just got Greg's 55 assembled last night, just need to fill it with oil and wire it and it's ready to fire up. It looks pretty funky, since it was put together from several different motors it's four different colors. I wanted to paint the block pink just so I could see the look on his face when he pulled the hood, but couldn't find any pink engine enamel at the local parts store so I settled for GM blue.

Tim
      Tim, it's about as right as it's going to be. Biggest problem was idling inconsistently. It seems to be fine now. I'd like to get a video of it cruising too but don't have anyone with another boat to shoot it. :TakePicture1: I have an idea that might work.

Another Bearcat lives, when do you fire off that one?:GoodJob:
      Dick Johnson
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 14046
        Tim, it's about as right as it's going to be. Biggest problem was idling inconsistently. It seems to be fine now. I'd like to get a video of it cruising too but don't have anyone with another boat to shoot it. :TakePicture1: I have an idea that might work.

Another Bearcat lives, when do you fire off that one?:GoodJob:
        You know I was completely joking about getting it running right, right? Obviously it doesn't get any better than starting on the first crank, especially after sitting for awhile!

I'll crank this one up tonight if I finish the paying work early enough, otherwise tomorrow night. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Tim

Comment

Tim, with all the problems I went through to get it to this point, I guess I lost my sense of humor when I'm talking about this engine, my fault. I guess I can lighten up now.

What all did you do to Greg's engine? I hope it turns out sucessful!!!!!
          Dick Johnson
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 14056
            Tim, with all the problems I went through to get it to this point, I guess I lost my sense of humor when I'm talking about this engine, my fault. I guess I can lighten up now.

What all did you do to Greg's engine? I hope it turns out sucessful!!!!!
            Oh man, don't lose your sense of humor! That was my joking way of saying how impressive it is that you've gotten that thing running so well. maybe next time I should just say that, huh?

Greg's engine needed a bunch of minor stuff. It needed to be cleaned out internally, had the typical seepage from the water jacket covers, (complete with some rusted bolts that broke off instantly) the block had a lot of exterior rust, the valve cover was leaking, the lower seal was shot and leaking, the tilt lock boss on the clamp bracket was broken off and the carbs needed going through. Greg pulled it from his stock of Homelites to run on Anti-SOShull, our '59 Bryant slow cruiser.

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X