No announcement yet.

2011 opening day theme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to offend anyone, but I don't think we want to try the tribute again. We tried the tribute to "Patches the clown" 3 years ago with no success. We didn't even earn an honorable mention.

I believe that we need to be looking toward costumes and or decorations that are easily understood by all the viewers (judges). It is most important to keep the overall group unified in design. We have found, online, some really simply, and inexpensive, sea creature costumes that would directly relate the theme this year. Giant squid, Dungeness crab, Orca whale. Would be easy to decorate poeple in highly visable costumes that would still allow us to show case the beauty of our classic boats.

Personally I like the idea of grouping the boats by manufacturer and show casing the Northwest built boats, but we also need to have costumes and or decorations that tie into the "Salish Sea Treasures" theme.

Just one captains opinion... :shocked4:
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Opening Day

Brian -

Good points--and a fleetload of orcadriven boats would be a winning presentation.

Hey, can you please call me at work tomorrow, or whenever you get this message? I don't have your number and would like to talk about Opening Day.

Thanks,

Marty
      (360) 301-6737
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Tim. I like the Capt. Puget idea. He was all about the NW and boating. A little different than a kids clown show. I would think the reception would be different. Just my two noncents.jibberjabber

Smooth sailing, Bye for now.
        1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Didn't Don McCune also do "Exploration Northwest"? I remember watching both. For the time it was MUST SEE TV!
          Captains covers, Thick black nylon framed glasses and cigars are easy costumes...
          ChuckB
          "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Chuck.
            That's the guy. That was an Emmy award winning show. I've talked to his wife and she said for a guy who had a travel show, in his private life, he couldn't find his way out of town. She also said that he was a really great guy. Komo gave her everything they had concerning him and his shows including the copy rights and the only surviving copy of The Captain Puget Show.

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

I have a solution that should please everyone...

Captains dressed as "Captain Puget" while passengers are dressed as "Northwest sea creatures" and one boat - toward the front- flies a banner that reads "Exploration Northwest"..

A tribute that would allow for some fun "understandable" costumes that ties directly into the theme!! We can't lose!!!
              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Brilliant! Great Idea.

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Good idea!

I have the hat and glasses now I just need a nice jacket with all them zippers and pockets. It's always an adventure going to Good Will looking for something like that. I usually come home with a new hobbie, for 5 years it was collecting classic rock and roll 8 tracks, last year I returned over 50 tapes and several players too.
                  1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

my typically non-constructive comment

Lowell-Check the pockets first. I don't picture the females volunteering to dress as whales... just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 14571
                      Lowell-Check the pockets first. I don't picture the females volunteering to dress as whales... just sayin'
                      Ironically its the females in my crew that are the most excited about dressing as orcas and giant squids... I guess maybe I have odd friends...:cool1:
                      Brian Flaherty

Comment

Does this dorsal fin make my tail look big?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 14595
                          Does this dorsal fin make my tail look big?
                          Umm ... it's not the fin.

Comment

Greg L.--it's okay.

If the passangers are dressing as whales and if you wanted to do that I won't tell anyone that your a male wearing a female whale outfit. I bet you look cute in the outfit, black and white like a french maid.

Myself I will be the old grey bearded looking Capt. Puget guy who's looking for cute passangers, whales, squids and or humans (ladies) wearing single piece bathing suits and they must know how to do a proper parade wave.

Is there anyone that wants to sign on as crew?
                            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Time to bring this up again

We've been looking through some costume websites and found some winners... We just ordered 17 of these Octopus belts (they're a kids costume but we have a plan to stretch them to fit)

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...d=Octopus+Belt

Hope the link works... here are a few more ideas we've found...

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...flatable+Whale

http://www.thebigzoo.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=15667

http://www.thebigzoo.com/shopping/sh...&cat=Foam+Caps

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Stuffed-Plush...ht_1058wt_1141
                              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Found the Captain Puget style gear

Michele has been scouring the internet for costume ideas and came across a couple websites that sells the Captain's hat and the bold black frame glasses.

Hats are starting at $9.95

http://www.rtdtrading.com/shop/main.cgi?&1252954371

Glasses are on sale right now for $3.99

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Glasses-Buddy-Wayfarer-Black-Frame/dp/B001MTSJYW"]Amazon.com: G&G Nerd Glasses Buddy Wayfarer Black Frame Clear Lens: Clothing[/ame]

THIS IS THE RECOMMENDED UNIFYING COSTUME FOR ALL NWCBC PARADE SKIPPERS!!!:Cop1:

Happy motoring!!!
                                Brian Flaherty

Comment

Working...
                                X