2011 opening day theme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Day Theme

The glasses look like Buddy Holley glasses and they are probably fine for Don McCune glasses too.

I'm seriously thinking of inviting Linda McCune, Don's McCune's widow aboard the Saratogan for opening day. If she accepts or if she doesn't accept, we as a club need to make sure we create a positive tribute to Don and not create a caricature of Don aka Captain Puget.

I'll let you know if she accepts.

Tim aka McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 16164
      The glasses look like Buddy Holley glasses and they are probably fine for Don McCune glasses too.

I'm seriously thinking of inviting Linda McCune, Don's McCune's widow aboard the Saratogan for opening day. If she accepts or if she doesn't accept, we as a club need to make sure we create a positive tribute to Don and not create a caricature of Don aka Captain Puget.

I'll let you know if she accepts.

Tim aka McSkagit
      What a cool idea

Comment

So I have already received a handful of messages from skippers who would really prefer not to dress up in tribute to Captain Puget. I think we need to reassess our group plan.

The idea of honoring Captain Puget fit into the theme. However making a formal tribute to Don McCune without characterizing Captain Puget does not really fit the theme. The idea was to use his "Exploration Northwest" show style to link all the boats, filled with animal costumed passengers, together.

I feel, based on previous years, that it is far more important that the passengers are dressed in "themed" costumes than making a tribute to any worthy icon. I agree that Don McCune is more recognizable to the people in the northwest marine culture, however the judges are looking for unity among the group and unique twists on the theme. Furthermore, the Salish Sea was officially named as such in 2009 so trying to honor a northwest icon from the 50's really doesn't tie into a theme based on the present northwest waters.

We have started building octopus / squid costumes from purchased children's costumes and goodwill sweatshirts. We have enough to make maybe 20-25 depending on how many legs we install on each sweater. Our plan was for all our passengers to be dressed in similar if not matching costumes. I will have myself and seven others on board the Chris Craft so we can sell (reasonable) the extras to others in the club. In following the tradition my crew has started we are working on acquiring an Orca towable to load a couple friends onto as well.
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Salish Sea

"Furthermore, the Salish Sea was officially named as such in 2009 so trying to honor a northwest icon from the 50's really doesn't tie into a theme based on the present northwest waters".

From a historical perspective, the region that was officially designated The Salish Sea has always been referred to as the Salish Sea. The Salish Sea being comprised of two distinct regions; Puget Sound, from Admiralty Inlet (Point Wilson) south and the northern region named Washington Sound.
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

For my 2 cents worth, we Explore the Northwest, often on the Salish Sea. Piloting a boat as a cephalopod mollusk is not for me, nor is costuming in general, but to honor the memory of a Northwest Icon in Don McCune/Capt. Puget, is something I would do. Passengers on the other hand, may attire as they wish...
            ChuckB
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

From the female point of view my days of sitting on the bow in a bathing suit are long gone, but I would consider a costume. Rick purchased a used Mustang suit for me from the MV Sea Princess. I was going to change it to "MY" Sea Princess, wear a tiara and drape myself in an old net covered with sea creatures and a sash that names me Rick's Salish Sea Treasure. Not sure what the captain is going to think! For those who don't like costumes, how about treasure chests full of plastic sea toys and beads you can throw to the crowd? Rick is going to kill me for posting..shhhh...don't tell!:BigWink1:
              Sarah
              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

SShhhhh ...

We promise not to tell. Now you just have to keep Rick away from the computer until opening day!

Tim

Comment

Can't be there...

I will not be able to attend this year--we have conflicting family plans. It'll be a good event--especially exciting to have "The Flagship" in attendance! Have fun! -Ken

Comment

I graduated high school in 1952 in Tacoma and I recall pastel colored corduroy pants and a flourescent green stocking cap but, then, I always was a snappy dresser!
                    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Costumes 'R' Us!

Talon will take two (2) costumes.

Thinking 2 orcas would be best!

Also like the idea of throwing booty from the treasure chest, but I think there might be "rules" about such things, as I recall a water-balloon incident in the not-so-distant past.
                      =====
                      Roger Morse
                      talon1965mini@gmail.com
                      Stimson Marina, Ballard

Comment

Please post "official" plans.

I am very excited to be able to attend again this year. I've only made it one year and it was a bunch of fun. Although, the main reason that I want to go this year is to see the Saratogan!

I've been reading the posts and I haven't figured out what the dress code ended up being? I think that I have convinced my wife to attend along with another couple.

Also,
                        Where do we plan to meet up at? What time should we meet? What time does the parade start? And, when does the "cut" shut down to trafic before the parade?

Thanks,

Karl
                        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                        14' Stilleto

Comment

Working...
                        X