Bell Boy 21 Completed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 14541
    Not to steal the Thread , but have shifted attention to the new Dorsett and Flyer is waiting for dead of winter.
    What's a little thread stealing among friends? :BigHappy1: Maybe you could start another thread and share some photos of the Dorsett? I hear it's pretty nice.

Tim

Comment

Marty, et al:
      This is just fabulous... The BellBoy flagship is going to be a national treasure up there. I hope you cruise at Bellingham Bay where the boat was made. How I wish I could get back there some day with my BB!!
      Marty, I could not help but notice this resto was done with newer block style emblems. Were these just re-chromed or were they fabricated by someon up there? My guy felt he could not get the forge right because my emblems did not push deep enough into the clay mold. It looks like you had better luck on your end.
      Congrats on such artisan -level work.

Best,

Bob
      Attached Files

Comment

Bell Boy 21 Emblems

Bob -

Thanks for the nice comments....

The BB21 emblems were originals, rechromed.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Very nice IBS! Marty I haven't done a search but did you ever do a rite up of the body/paint work done? Thanks

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Originally posted by Straycat, post: 15405
            Very nice IBS! Marty I haven't done a search but did you ever do a rite up of the body/paint work done? Thanks
            It has Sterling paint on it. Roll and tip and the hull looked like it had been sprayed on. Fact is, most of it looked like it had been sprayed.
            Typical glassing in the larger tank fill holes and such, fact is, anything larger than a pencil has fiberglass patches inside and out, anything smaller was Evercoat lite with the fiberglass hair in it..
            Marty and I painted that boat.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I agree, That is a beauty! Well done guys! That Sterling paint is fairly fragrant eh? We once sprayed a giant D Mag crane with it. All yellow, Man we were covered by the time we got done. Never tried roll and tip though. Sure looks like it laid out nice for you. - Ross
              Ross Henson

Comment

Sterling Paint

Ross -

Sterling is obviously good paint, but I'm still not sure it's worth the (high) price, when compared with Interlux Perfection or other choices. Between the two colors of Sterling, plus Sterling primer, reducers, catalysts, etc., we--meaning Bruce, the customer--spent just over $1,200 on paint/primer alone. And that's before you start the process of painting, wet-sanding, buffing, etc.

The two-part Perfection paint we've used on other projects went on just as well as Sterling, covered just as nicely and seemed to cure just as hard. So maybe there's an advantage to Sterling I'm not aware of, but we could have purchased all of the required Perfection products, including primer, for $400-$500, vs. $1,200 for the Sterling package.

Anyone have more experience with two-part paints?

For my personal boats, I'm thinking of going back to the simplicity and affordability of Interlux Brightside Polyurethane or Pettit Easypoxy, the one-part paints that go on just as nicely as the two-parters and seem to hold up well enough.

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I remember this post. I have the twin sister in the shop right now
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                  X