for the Bellboy Crowd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for the Bellboy Crowd

Here are some pictures of a " New" '57 16' Express. My Dad owned this boat until the late 70's. It started out with a 25 or 35 Johnson and later repowered with a Mark 75 or 78 for a time which was later stolen and replaced with a Merc 650 (Black 4 cyl.) My folks made many trips from Portland (Oregon Yacht club near Oaks Park) to Astoria/Warenton for Salmon Fishing Many Adventures. They lived in a floating home for 20 years or so. In 1964 after I graduated from College and began Teaching on the Oregon Coas,t My dad and a friend ran a marathon race from Portland to Astoria breaking the diaphram on fuel pump. He mailed me the part and one late afternoon in mid September after schoo,l I took my wife and 2 month old Daughter to Astoria (East Mooring Basin) repaired the engine, Gassed up and the three of us headed to Portland. A wonderful mid Sepember run of 120 miles. ( mostly in the dark!) We got to Oregon Yacht Club at 11:30pm and were drive back to Astoria, got home in time to shower change clothes and go to Work. At the time it seemed entirely reasonable. Looking back after 50 years or so - WTF was I thinking!!!!

The pictures are of the 57 16' bellboy Express on the Columbia River on a rare calm day. The boat and my Dad, The boat and My Mom and baby Sister, my self and Sister and the boat, and the boat pulling one of us on Skiis.

This is the way came from the dealer. I think "Staff Jennings" a long time marine dealer in Portland
    Attached Files

Great story, great pic's, very nice BellBoy, thanks 4 posting!

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Great childhood memories

Thank you for sharing these cool photos. Looking at my armada it is very difficult to picture them being "new" at some point. Each scratch, drilled hole and layer of paint represents someone's dream and hopefully fond memory.:TakePicture1: Skiing behind a 35 horse really puts our modern excesses in perspective.

Comment

Wow, great pictures! Nice to see one in it's original state like that.

I wonder where the boat is now... and what it looks like today.
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Awesome story and shots. I'm really stoked to see that color arrangement, as it is what I had previously decided to paint the 404 when she is ready! Nice to know i was some sort of factory option at least on the 16 footers a few years prior to the layup of my '59.
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Lovely Bell Boy! Snapshots such as these have inspired my interest in vintage powerboating. Are many of the subject manufacturer still existing? Unfortunate that export fees are intolerable with petrol expenses at present.

Comment

Wow! They really were new at one time. Thanks for sharing.
              John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Nice story for sure.
                What do you have for a boat now as I don't remember.
                As you can see, there are others still around for projects.
                Attached Files
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

boats now

1960 G3 w/FGS 700 Merc '62
                  10' livingston
                  15' canoe
                  2 place aquaterra Kayak
                  28' Carver Monterey 73'

What was I thinking
                  '67 Seaflite 17' w/removable hard top and Jet drive

Comment

Hayes, That's a great story and photos! Thanks for sharing. Why arn't you getting one of those old Bell Boy's and restoring it to your family boat? That would be very cool, and a nice family legacy. I wish I had that sort of story in my family history...
                    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
                    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
                    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Working...
                    X