Sonoran surprise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonoran surprise

While traveling in the the southwest recently, I spotted what appeared at first to be a fifties Bell Boy. Looking closer I was surprised to find a Skagit propped up amongst the Suguaro cactus. Amazing how these old classics turn up out of nowhere.
    The boats general condition was also a surprise considering it had been sitting out in 120 degree heat at times in the Sonora desert. The top gel coat had spider cracks but the fiberglass seemed flexible and strong. The floorboards showed no evidence of soft spots or signs of rot, and the transom was solid as a rock (maybe petrified?) if the tap and thump test tells you anything. The overall condition was a real testament to the durability of these amazing old craft. They certainly weren't designed with this longevity in mind I'm sure.
    According to the crusty old old owner , the boat and motor where used regularly at a nearby lake until a few years ago. He wants $500 for the works to get some money back for engine work, but I got the feeling he just wants it gone. Good deal for anyone in the neighorhood of Apache Junction AZ this weekend!
    Can any of you Skagit buffs identify the year and model? the owner didn't have a clue. "Fifty something I think. sure gets a lot of attention." Early sixties sportster? I don't recall having seen that particular model in our club.
    Attached Files
    Kent & Diane
    '58 Westerner

1959 Skagit Sportster

This looks like my 1959 Sportster.
    This could be 59, 60, or the last ones, 1961 (Never seen a 61)
    The front deck is what gives it away. The 57 I had was flat just like the 58 Sportsters were.

The windsheild looks a little tall to me but it could be just how it was photographed too.
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Not a '59?

'59 was the first year of the "Air-O-Glide" bottom, and my '59 does not have those deck contours, so that would seem to place it as a '60 or a '61. That windshield can't be original, I've never seen a Skagit with proportions that wrong!

Comment

Is that Tim Jones Saratogan in the background of the first pic of the Sportster ad that Jo posted?
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Its a advertisement brochure for the little 14's but I guess they wanted everyone to know that they did build a Big one too.

Hard to say, there were only three and only two are known to even be around any longer.
          Tims and one down on the Columbia River some place.opcorn1:
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
          X