Timing on a 50 hp Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing on a 50 hp Johnson

OK, I'm a novice on these outboards so, I need help with the timing on this motor. It's a 1971 50 hp Johnson Hydroelectric shift w/elec ignition. Last owner said it wouldn't run because of frozen points. Well, I took the flywheel off and to my surprize, no points. It also had the woodruff key sheared off so I replaced that. (probably was the original problem) But, now what? Please help me time this thing. It turns over real nice and has 150 lbs compression on each cyl. cold. I haven't checked for spark yet as I feel I should time it first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Buck

Timing is done by the woodruff key, TDC, and advanced by the mechanical arms and linkage to the throttle. New key, all together correctly, see if you have spark and she should fire right up.
    The Electric shift models can be troublesome. Check to lower unit oil, change it if it is dark or milky. New seals if it is milky.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Bruce,
      That motor should have a Throttle stop for idle and at WOT.
      When you lift slightly on the throttle handle ,a line on a Carb linkage Cam should line up with a small roller wheel.This is the Start position,all the way back to idle stop will be the low idle setting.
      I usually start "non-runners" with the throttle control unhooked and do the carb /timing linkage by hand.....as another turns the key.Use the manual choke to save fumbling for toggles.
      Move linkage from idle position as it is cranking and fueled and she`ll fire if spark is there.
      If a shiny new power pack is there,the firing order should be verified as it is easy to switch one as it goes on ,causing backfiring which leads to sheared keys......impacts also do this one,stop it quick at speed and flywheel will keep on trucking.
      An Inductive timing light on Cyl #1 should give you a reading of 3-4` on most John/Rudes when idling,going to 15`-19` of adv at WOT.
      Mark "0" on the flywheel with paper whiteout and whatever numbers you want it to be aiming for.
      This will highlight the line you want to see at the pointer.
      "Sync + Link" are the catch words to read up on ,always a specific ritual on each motor size and HP.
      You do need spark to set timing so checking that should be first on the list.Then where the spark happens will dictate how fast the engine wants to run.
      Goodluck,
      TimM
      ps spritz it with Fogging oil as you try to start it.It will run briefly on it even with no carb ,but also helps lubricate and keeps dry cyl walls from scuffing.
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X