Next Personal Project...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win-Win

It is great to see you enjoying yourself Marty. The "arrangement" with your neighbor sounds like a great way to keep project momentum. All of the previous owner's in your back story would be proud. opcorn1:

Comment

Marty, Looks like a great project. I really like the boat design, flush deck, makes good sense and looks good. Love the story too. Having spent so much time working on my project boat I am begining to see there is more to it than just owning or using a boat, It's the whole picture, the people you meet and their stories, the feeling of a problems solved and the endless challenges of trying to get it right. Hope to be afloat the first of next year. Andy E.

Comment

Great story Marty and good eye Mo. I wish I had the knowledge and expierience to take on a project like that. It's always exciting when you guys who are able to do something like that share it with the club. I'm always amaised by what is achieved by you guys. Supercraftmen.
        Greg James

Comment

A Bit More Progress....

This past weekend, besides eating turkey leftovers, we finished gutting out the cockpit area of Wind Drift, the 1937-designed 20' sailboat project.

The builder had used 3/8" fir ply for all of the cockpit seat-and-floor panels, then glassed them over with 6 oz. fiberglass cloth. Over the years, we often see glass cloth crack along seam lines or sharp edges...and that's exactly what happened here, allowing water to get under the glass skin where it eventually rotted out portions of the ply...which in turn spread rot to some adjoining fir frame members. In the end, the only way to properly deal with the mess was to tear it all out, including the entire aft deck.

So, now we have a blank canvas in the stern portion of the boat. The new cockpit will be built using 1088 Grade marine-mahogany plywood that'll never rot or delaminate, and it won't be skinned in glass cloth. Elevation of the new seats will be slightly higher than the originals so we have a better view over the raised-deck cabin, and we'll make sure the cockpit floor drains rainwater overboard more effectively than the original. (Nothing worse than a self-draining cockpit that doesn't self-drain quickly...or at all.) The new aft deck will be a bit longer (deeper) than the original, just because.

The boat's transom is three thick planks of Honduras mahogany that have always been painted white. We're in the slow process of stripping decades of paint, so that we can end up with a stained and varnished mahogany transom--no more paint hiding that beautiful wood!

Looks like the interior will get a new arrangement, too. I'm still studying, measuring and thinking about it, but my inclination is to ditch the two narrow opposed berths at the bottom of the companionway stairs and go with a larger traditional forepeak berth, eliminating the existing forward cabin bulkhead that chops the interior into two smaller sections....opening it up for a feeling of greater spaciousness. We'd then use the existing narrow berths strictly as main-cabin seating, next to the galley and companionway, rather than trying to scrunch up and sleep on the things.

Attached are a few photos: gutted-out stern area, transom-stripping process, and interior that I've started to disassemble.

- Marty
          Attached Files
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I love Wood !

Looking really good Marty ! That's going to be a sweet boat . Its a bad sign of things to come by the looks of that third picture when you are already making people take their shoes off when they are in the cabin VeryBigSmile. Great pictures wish I lived closer so I could come down and see it take shape in person. Thanks for the pictures
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Very Observant, Rick!

Rick -

Ha! Good eye...

As I was disassembling the cabin interior, I found an old Size 11 slipper--just one--tucked in the dark recesses of a storage cubby.

If I happen to find its mate I'll offer them as a memento, but I have a feeling that won't happen...because at this point I've explored every nook and cranny.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, I am worried about your Pain Cabinet. Does it dispense pain, or relieve pain? :surprised1:
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Bare Mahogany, At Last!

After several applications of Citrus Strip, followed by scraping and more scraping, the transom is starting to look like bare mahogany...which when varnished should look better than layers of old white paint.

Attached is a photo showing the more-or-less bare Honduras Mahogany.

- Marty

(Aside to Jack: Everything in the shop seems to dispense pain, especially the scrapers and sanders. My torn rotator is yelling at me right now, in fact, so I think it's time for a dose of my preferred pain killer, red wine. Rub some where it hurts; consume the rest.)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Marty, That is really going to be one fine boat! Best,Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Boat Booty!

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 20178
                      Rick -

Ha! Good eye...

As I was disassembling the cabin interior, I found an old Size 11 slipper--just one--tucked in the dark recesses of a storage cubby.

If I happen to find its mate I'll offer them as a memento, but I have a feeling that won't happen...because at this point I've explored every nook and cranny.

- Marty
                      Rick + Marty,
                      That looks like fine "Boat Booty" going on there.
                      Always wondered where the term came from.
                      Now we know......
                      TM
                      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                      SeaRay 175BR
                      Hi-Laker lapline
                      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 20188
                        After several applications of Citrus Strip, followed by scraping and more scraping, the transom is starting to look like bare mahogany...which when varnished should look better than layers of old white paint.

Attached is a photo showing the more-or-less bare Honduras Mahogany.

- Marty

(Aside to Jack: Everything in the shop seems to dispense pain, especially the scrapers and sanders. My torn rotator is yelling at me right now, in fact, so I think it's time for a dose of my preferred pain killer, red wine. Rub some where it hurts; consume the rest.)
                        That is almost as good as what we found under the cabin sides of the Shain when we started scraping. 1" mahogany cabin sides all were painted over due to someone being lazy.
                        Good find Ole !!
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                        X