Next Personal Project...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Personal Project...

We'll soon begin pecking away at the next personal project--and, yes, it's another old sailboat that we'll begin cruising next summer.

When we cruised to South Sound last July aboard the 27-foot Luhrs lapstrake sea skiff, we paused for fuel in the Brownsville marina (across from the west side of Bainbridge Island, south of Keyport). While I was filling the tank, Mo walked the docks and soon was heard exclaiming something like "You've got to come see this old sailboat!" Before I could even get there, she was on her way to the harbormaster's office, in an attempt to see if they'd share the owner's name.

We took a few photos and continued to South Sound, but on the return leg the Luhrs just steered its way back to the Brownsville marina (low on fuel, again), and this time we found a young couple aboard the old boat, which obviously needed work. They explained that they'd only purchased it a few weeks earlier, and hoped to fix up the old thing. (I didn't say anything, but I figured the boat would be on the market again soon--once they discovered what they were undertaking.)

Long story shorter: We were able to liberate the 1937-designed 20-foot sloop a few weeks ago, and after hiring a diver to remove several hundred pounds of mussels, barnacles and other growth from the bottom, we hung a 6hp outboard on the kicker bracket and headed north to Mystery Bay. Last week we motored over to Port Townsend, hauled the boat using their Travel Lift, and blocked it up on a flatbed trailer for the ride to the boatshop.

I've always been a sucker for early raised-deck designs, having restored and enjoyed a 1930, 36-foot Blanchard Dreamboat for 16 years. Raised-deckers offer so much more space down below than trunk-cabin models, so the little 20-foot sloop is far roomier than you'd imagine. There's a small galley, adequate berth space, lots of storage and a lid-covered marine head.

The boat was designed in '37 by naval architect Walter Haertel of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, who wrote about the design in the December, 1937 issue of Rudder magazine. A young man in Los Angeles named E. Brooks (first name still a mystery) bought a set of Haertel's plans and started construction in 1940...but the boat was still only a bare skeleton when Japanese bombers struck Pearl Harbor, launching U.S. involvement in the Second World War. Brooks immediately enlisted, leaving the sailboat project in dry storage. By the time he returned from the war in 1945, he wanted a bigger sailboat so he started work on a Herreshoff-designed H-28...and never looked back at the little 20-footer.

Many years later, in early 1960, the Haertel-designed project was spotted through an open warehouse door elsewhere in Los Angeles, and Gene Fish--an engineer who dreamed of one day building his own cruising sailboat--asked if the project might be for sale. (By this time the original owner, Brooks, had died and the sailboat was owned by a man named Walter Schroeder.) The answer was a firm "No," the boat was absolutely not for sale.

On Christmas Day, 1960, Gene Fish walked into the living room to open presents with his wife, Dolly, and their young son. There were no presents under the tree for Gene...only a small card dangling from one of the upper branches. Gene opened the card, which revealed that Dolly had secretly visited Walter Schroeder at the warehouse and sweet-talked him into selling the sailboat project. Merry Christmas, Honey!

Before New Year's, 1960, Gene and Dolly trailered the boat to their suburban residence an, rolling the frame into their garage, and Gene got started. Work on the boat progressed in spurts, since faced the familiar challenges of juggling a full-time job and family commitments, but he persisted and finally launched Wind Drift in 1974--34 years after young E. Brooks had started construction.

Gene and Dolly loved the boat and enjoyed sailing her for many years out of Long Beach harbor, often cruising offshore to Catalina Island and up the California Coast. In 1995, the couple retired to Sequim, Washington, and had Wind Drift shipped by a commercial transporter. The boat was then moored at John Wayne Marina in Sequim Bay, until they reluctantly sold the boat to a Port Angeles man in 1997. Wind Drift was apparently well-maintained until about 2006, but it then spiraled downhill through a series of owners, and one year ago this month it was damaged during a severe windstorm that hit the Brownsville marina. Rocking wildly, the boat's mast and rigging tangled with a sailboat in the next slip; the two boats were snared together, heeled over, and Wind Drift's upper starboard rail, sheer planks and guardrail were ground up by the sharp-edged aluminum marina float. (When you look at the damage, it's easy to imagine that the boat was attacked by a crazed beaver.)

The boat needs a total refinishing and some repairs, but the frames and planks are sound...so the restoration should actually be straightforward. We'll pull the original Arnolt Sea-Mite 20-hp inboard engine for starters to evaluate its condition (no way I wanted to try starting the beast after it had been ignored for several years), make the starboard-side repairs, refinish the spars, perhaps recover the deck with fresh canvas, and do a lot of refinishing over the winter and spring months, hoping to relaunch Wind Drift by next May.

The first guests aboard Wind Drift when we go for a sail in Mystery Bay will be Gene and Dolly Fish, now 82 and still living happily in Sequim. We visited the couple last week, and were given several old photos and the original plans that Gene built from...tattered but still readable.

Here are a few shots of the boat. The first images were shot when Gene started work on the boat, and also show it under sail in the Long Beach area. There's one shot of the boat in 2006 (all-white hull, color), and then images of it in Brownville, bring motored through Agate Pass on the way to Mystery Bay, and on our trailer for the final ride home.

- Marty and Mo
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, What a great story and a great boat ! I bet you made their day ! Will "Wind Drift" be her name again or did she keep that name from the beginning ? Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wind Drift

When Gene Fish was a kid growing up in the Los Angeles area, his family had a getaway cabin in the Sierra Mountains. The cabin was named Wind Drift, and held so many wonderful memories that Gene and his wife decided on that name when he started building the boat.

Gene's a talented guy who made castings for most of the boat's bronze hardware, including a Wind Drift nameplate that's attached to the threshold of the companionway...so it's staying right there, and so is the name.

- Marty
      Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Well this project should keep you out of trouble for a few months.

Tell Mo we loved the house at Cape George but the commute would kill us.
        That 30' x 42' shop comes with everyting in it including a boat, two tractors a 1500 lb lift, three air compressors, gas and arc welding equipment etc, etc. etc.
        If only it was closer.

We'll probably settle for Kingston now then Cape George later.
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

wonderful story

Marty
          Another wonderful story and wonderful addition. Every spouse should be required to read the Christmas tree fable. But it seems that Mo already put the card on the tree for herself and any crew that looks like Santa.
          Bruce H. Drake
          1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie
          1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
          1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

What a grea story Marty, and that is a cool boat. Can't wat to see what you do with it!
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

I find that the back story and the hard work that it takes to bring a boat back to life is more gratifying than actually using the boat. I believe that this is what makes up the DNA of the serial collector!

Marty is either blessed or cursed to be able to do both.

Karl
              17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
              18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
              19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
              25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
              14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
              14' Stilleto

Comment

life well lived...

Marty and Mo are obviously nuts, and have an enviable spirit of adventure.

Another beauty there guys!

Comment

What a great story. She waited patiently all these years for another owner who would value her and keep her in the manner she deserves. Lucky boat!

Comment

Wind Drift's in the Shop

We were able to ease Wind Drift into the shop yesterday, so the nights-and-weekends work will now begin. (To support the 4,000-pound sailboat and allow us to easily move it around inside the shop, I built a 5' x 8' deck supported by four boat-moving dollys....or, in other words, 16 caster wheels to carry the heavy load. Four boat stands, mounted atop the plywood deck, keep the old girl upright, and the keel rests on a bank of four 6" x 6" beams.)

Charlie and Pat Johns' 1958 Skagit 20 express, nearing completion, is at right in the photo.

- Marty
                    Attached Files

Comment

stair climbin'

Looks right at home in there Marty. Sure would be cool to have a pit that you could open to accept the keel...

Comment

That is the scariest trailer set up I have ever seen. Marty has no fear!!!
                        Robert Augur

Comment

Scary Moments

Robert -

Nothing scary about the 16-wheel cart that's under the boat--it's really quite stable. The terrifying part was lifting two tons of sailboat with our four cheapo chainfalls and two skinny nylon straps, hung from shop trusses that seemed to be groaning from the weight. (Actually, we placed temporary 13-foot posts under the center of the trusses, just for insurance, and the operation went smoothly...but it's always nerve-wracking when you lift 4,000-plus pounds, pull the trailer out and have the beast dangling in mid-air while you scramble around with boat stands, caster-wheel inventions, 6x6 beams, etc.)

Big sigh of relief when you snug up those boat stands!

- Marty

Comment

Sailboat Restoration Begins

A few evenings ago, we got started on restoration of the 1937-design 20-foot sloop that we dragged to the shop recently (see description in above postings).

So far, we've totally gutted out the cockpit area (there was some delaminated ply and rotten framing, so we had to remove everything to be sure that no rot got into framing of the hull. Fortunately, everything's in great shape under the now-missing cockpit structure.) We also removed the old 1940 four-cylinder flathead engine, an Arnolt Sea-Mite with reduction gear, and cut away the damaged guardrails on the starboard side.

A bit of sanding on the hullsides showed that the Atlantic White Cedar planks are in excellent condition, but the fir sheet planks (above the beltline guardrail) have some pockets of rot, so we'll either replace sections of fir planking or scarf in dutchmen for repairs.

Also started pulling apart the cabin interior, in order to check condition of the elm frames everywhere before getting deeper into the project. There are four frames with cracks, down low and alongside the mast, so we'll steam-bend some sister frames to make sure no strength is lost in that part of the hull. (Hard to tell what might have caused the frames to crack, since the breaks are not in an area where the frames go through a sharp bend. It might have happened if the boat had a hard grounding on rocks, jarring the hull...just can't tell, but they'll be an easy repair.)

I can see at this point that we'll probably change the interior layout in order to create more generous berths for overnighting. Will probably go with a conventional V-berth forward, and create more storage and comfortable seating where the current berths are situated (at the bottom of the companionway stairs).

Because I need to do most of the sailboat work outside of regular boatshop hours, I've entered into a work-trade arrangement with our shipwright neighbor, Roger Beachy, who owns a beautiful 23-foot lapstrake sailboat he built years ago. Roger's boat, Chickadee, is in a shop only 100 feet from ours (through the woods to the north), so once a week I join Roger in working on Chickadee for 4-6 hours, and the next week he helps me tear into the Wind Drift project. The buddy system really helps keep both of us motivated--and obviously gets tangible work done on both boats.

Here are a few photos of the Wind Drift project, shot today.

- Marty
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ole.....
                              Still plenty of room to work around her. :cool1:
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen
                              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                              X