Name that boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that boat

I found our old Super 8 home movie reels and was able to find some footage of the boat we had in 1971. I don't know what kind of boat it is and my father died 10 years ago, so I can't ask him. All I know is the boat was about 22 feet long, OB motor, wooden hull, cuddy with a pump head.

That's me on the boat, by the way, sitting on the cuddy hardtop wearing my classic orange life jacket. I was 6 there; summer of 1970.

One detail that might help in the identification is the fact that this boat had a nice wooden trim--sort of a bumper running around the perimeter. It seems raised too. Here's a picture of me poking up out of the hatch where you can see that wood trim.

Ain't I cute?!

This last shot was taken at the start of a trip we took up slough from Lake Washington to Lake Sammamish. It was right after the boat was put in the water in Edmonds, I think, and we were about ready to head out. We lost a prop in the slough early on. My dad dove for it several times, but ended up having to put on the spare prop instead. We spent the night on the boat somewhere along the way (south of Woodinville I'm guessing) and had to eventually turn around short of our destination because the weeds were just getting too thick. Great memory though!

Amazing how crappy still pictures of an old home movie turn out, huh?!

So anyone got an idea of what kind of boat this was?

The Round Hatch reminds me of a Fairliner,which is usually a larger vessel.
    Maybe some of the older Dogs can nail it exactly.
    Owens,and Byant seem to be popping into my head too....but are really just guesses out loud.
    Thanx for sharing the old stuff,btw.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

I see flypaper2323's '68 Bryant has a round hatch. Hmmmm....

The guys over at Glasply.net tended toward thinking it was a Bryant. I asked my Mom if it could have been a Bryant and she said that name did ring a bell, but wasn't sure.

All the pictures of Owens boats I found had the helm on the port side. Our old boat had a starboard-side helm.

So what do you Older Dogs think?!

Comment

Old Dog's Guess

I'd agree that it's a Bryant.

Reinell briefly made a model with a glass cabin mold quite similar to the classic Bryant design...but this one has all of the elements of a Bryant.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Any idea what year this boat might have been? All I know is that we bought it in about 1969 and sold it before we moved in 1971 or 72 to a couple of hippy dudes.

And if anyone has one similar to this, or knows of one, I'd love to check it out! We weren't a big boating family, but when you're 5 to 7 years old and get to go out on a boat and fish and stuff, man....that's what memories are made of!

Memories like running to the side of the boat to look into the water to find the, um, "item" we just pump-flushed out of the head! (Never did find one, oddly enough...) When we were cruising, my brother and I would ride up in the cuddy, poking out of the hatch (how we both fit with our life jackets on is beyond me!) The first fish I ever caught was on that boat. A dogfish. Had to bring it home to show mom. Got tucked in sideways once at the Chittenden locks, right up next to the slimy doors at the end. That'll freak a 6-year-old out, let me tell you.

I'm looking forward to creating memories for my own boys (10 and 13 now) in our Glasply.

And in the meantime, I'm trying to learn more about the boat we had as a kid. Thanks for your help in identifying it. If I can get my mom to find an actual picture I can scan, I'll post it. This snapping digital pictures off the 8mm movie is for the birds!

Comment

Hey Binford,

Really cool that you have uncovered some family celluloid. I'm sure that you have some invaluable memories from being around boats. Many of us are trying to continue (or start?) the tradition by toiling on these old/affordable relics.

As for identifying your family boat, I'm not smelling the Bryant connection. My marker is going on Tollycraft, probably 1959 to 1961. Being a customizer, I am always looking for shapely items to incorporate into my projects. In that search I have run across a fiberglass hardtop on Craigslist that was in Spokane. The top definitely has the distinctive, swoopy lines of your pictures.

But then again I could be wrong...rock on' - g

Comment

it's a Tolly...maybe

Once in a great while, youth and exuberance trumps age and treachery. Maybe?

The styling of Binford's boat from vintage film had to be 59-up, and it's hull was obviously wood. Not knowing for sure has bothered me all day. After some research this evening it appears that the family boat may be a beautiful 1960-63 Tollycraft 19' Cruiseteer??

http://www.tolly-classified.com/60list.html

Many of you know that Tolly Tollefson, died this year after 100 great years on the Salish Sea.

Comment

My apologies. I guess I neglected to mention it was indeed a wooden hull. And powered by an outboard motor.

The Tolly in that picture has a square hatch though, and the chine running up the bow that's not on our old boat. Sure has a similar window styling though, doesn't it?!

Comment

Bryant Boats

Bryant boats from the period had wooden hulls--plywood over framing--with molded fiberglass cabins. So it could still be one of the boats that were built for Bryant by the Morris Brothers.

- Geezer Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

My first impression looking at the picture 'bow-on' is that it is a Bryant. It's the beam to freeboard ratio that to me says Bryant.
                    Can't really see the stem from the side view, but Bryants had a sort of Clipper bow as I recall...

My two cents worth...

Tim
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

keep sleuthing

Binford's childhood boat is the sleek beauty that McCrain and I thought we were dragging home as an on-the-water-today-until-the-other-boat-is-done boat.

We peeled the canvas back exposing the blocky 1959 Bryant bulwark rather than the curved line suggested by the fabric. I most definitely prefer the lines of the cap in the vintage super 8 mystery boat.

If this is a Bryant, it is way better looking than any Bryant model I have seen, much less owned. Granted it shares the round "toilet seat hatch", that Tim always threatened to install a TP holder on the Bow Rail...:shocked4:

...g
                      Attached Files

Comment

Getting interesting now....

I never thought of the hatch looking like a toilet seat lid! That's just hysterical! TP holder on the bow rail.... You're killin' me!

Comment

Working...
                        X