Boat ID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's just crazy talk, Dan!:shocked2:

Was eyeing a Lycoming T-5, $5k on C/L - for the Reinell Jetabout, but thought that 1500 hp might be a tad difficult in no-wake zones. Then again, it wouldn't be touching the water anyway.:Scared1:

You're going to have to sell me on the foil concept. Hydrofoil's sound great until you see how goofy they look at speed...kind of like that weird kid in the neighborhood that rode a unicycle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ZJsh8YuGg&feature=related"]Summer Project 2009 - Hydrofoil 2.0 - - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Sorry guys. I don't see it listed any longer.
      I was in Eugene Oregon.
      Might be able to find the phone number again if you like.

That thing was Paper thin.....
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Foiled Again...

Brandon Davis, a friend who owns Turn Point Design in Port Townsend (he cuts boat parts for everyone with his CNC machine...especially doing parts for a lot of kit boats, racing sailboats, etc.), has designed and is building a sleek catamaran outboard pocket cruiser with two articulated foils that'll emerge from the hull at speed and provide some lift...not getting the hulls airborne, but boosting them higher so that Brandon will be able to cross the Strait of Juan de Fuca (for instance) in pretty rough water without slowing down.

The hull will be powered by twin Yamaha 20-hp four-stroke outboards, and it should reach about 28 mph, and be able to cruise all day at a comfy 20 mph.

Brandon's foils aren't as geeky or goofy as a lot of hydrofoils you see; they'll be more like retractable Orca fins, nesting inside the lower-forward sides of each hull when not in use, and telescoping out when needed.

I can't wait to go for a ride!

- Marty
        Attached Files
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 20435
          Hydrofoil's sound great until you see how goofy they look at speed...
          Well that surfboard rig certainly looks odd but it may be because of the straight horizontal wings giving it lift. All the hydrofoils I've seen are fixed at an angle towards the keel of the boat similar to the way most airplane wings are higher towards their tips than at the root. This causes a natural balancing effect because the lift of an angled wing is less than one horizontal in a bank. Notice how that surfboard rider is struggling to keep it upright?
          Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 20444
          Brandon's foils aren't as geeky or goofy as a lot of hydrofoils you see; they'll be more like retractable Orca fins, nesting inside the lower-forward sides of each hull when not in use, and telescoping out when needed...
          That's a beautiful design! Very futuristic - would love to see it up close some day.

Comment

I did find this on that funny looking boat.

Split-hull Boat, Selling for Uncle, Buyer must remove - $75 (Eugene (off Royal))

Date: 2011-12-05, 12:46PM PST
            Reply to: sale-nxaex-2737518487@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
            Salvaged Boat, No Title, Selling for Uncle, Buyer must remove.

Guaranteed to NOT float in current condition, but super exotic and with a little work this split fiberglass hull boat could be awesome.

Thanks for looking.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

http://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/2737518487.html
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

krytonite...stocking stuffer

Despite my best efforts to look away, this weird little ride continues to intrigue. I hope that Mr. Franchini needs this beauty more than I.

Comment

Working...
              X