Chopped Skagit Windshield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopped Skagit Windshield

Just for fun, and because we were in the process of painting Charlie and Pat Johns' Skagit 20 toward the end of its restoration, I decided to see what it would look like to chop one of the fiberglass windshield frames.

I took an extra we had lying around the shop (actually off of a Skagit 17 express...slightly narrower than the Skagit 20 windshield but otherwise the same pattern), and took 3 inches out of its height--chopping a section out of the middle of each end post.

You can see side-by-side results below--Charlie and Pat's original Skagit 20 frame on the right, and the customized frame on the left. I also mounted them on Charlie and Pat's cabintop, just to see how they compared.

Obviously, the Skagit 17 windshield was missing the center post featured on Charlie and Pat's 1958 20-footer.

For certain applications, I sort of like the chopped-down height...although it obviously wouldn't make sense if you wanted to attach a soft top (too low).

Any opinions of the chopped look? I could see chopping one even further for use on something like a runabout...

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Chopped windshield frame

Marty, Can't tell that much from just one angle, but I like it. Sort of balances out the proportions which are (in my opinion)as important as lines and curves.
    I like it.

One of the things that I think makes the Saratogan so beautiful are the proportions. The windshield frame, built around a 57 Chrysler glass isn't much higher than the Skagit 20's Ford glass. Makes forward visibility a bit of a challange, but it sure looks cool.

My two cents worth....

Tim

P.S. I think it should match the size of the cabin glass or not smaller. I like the fact that it is 3 or 4 inches narrower.
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Skagits Big and Smaller

Tim -

Yes, the Saratogan proportions are magical...and probably more similar to the Skagit 20 with chopped-down windshield. (But you can get away with it on a 31-footer more easily!)

Thanks for the input...

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Chop ,chop ,chop.....

Marty ,
        Love the chopped one ,especially if it had the center post to match the cabin.
        Lower windows make the hull seem wider than it once was,and coupled onto a lower profile trailer would make it even more functional as far as towing.
        A top could still work too if it had reverse canted ridged windows to connect to the top or done with a simple Bimini not hooked to the window.
        I once had a 14` Trailorboat with a 12`` tall window,basically 4-6`` shorter than normal and it made the hull seem wider than it truly was.A 16`` set on it for testing made the hull seem narrow and not as cool to the eye.
        I like your idea of Fun too!
        TimMattson
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Chopped Windshield

Tim -

I'm planning to add a center post to the chopped windshield, to improve appearance and also strengthen the thing. (Also easier to fit two smaller panels of polycarbonate, as opposed to one big one.)

Glad you liked it...

- Marty

Comment

Marty, Remember this one ? As you mention, you said you thought a chop one would look good on a runabout. That's my plan for the Saratoga Dorsett. Best,Chuck
            Attached Files
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

A mystery may have been solved: Bruce Bridwell followed Tim Jones advice which was given in the past and took a paper pattern of his Skagit 20 glass windsheid to a car show amd matched it with a 1955 Ford sedan windsheild. The hardtop has a shorter windsheild but the sedan was a perfect match. It appears that the windsheild is cut vertically in half and the corners are rounded on the center section. The 17 may use the same windsheild as a one peice to get the narrower windsheild. The windsheilds can be bought for $400 or less. Clint

Comment

No doubt about it thumbs up on the chop and what a beautiful color.

Melanie
                1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

sacrilege...

How dare you modify a classic, Marty.:Runaway1:

Keep up the good work!

Now if only you had a Skagit project to install your trick windshield on...

Comment

[quote="slo-mo, post: 20358"]How dare you modify a classic, Marty.:Runaway1:

Keep up the good work!

Now if only you had a Skagit project to install your trick windshield on...

Mr Slo-Mo, a Skagit project for Marty ? Hummm I think you know something that we don't know ? HuH ? ?
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

hogan

I know nuthink...Nuthink! If I did know sumthink, I wouldn't even tell myself.

Comment

I like the chop Marty, looks great! :GoodJob:
                        Mark
                        Silverdale, WA.
                        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Skagit Project

Chuck -

Yeah...Slo-Mo knows I'm about to drag home another 1958 Skagit 20--the third '58 express I've owned over the years...not including ones that have merely passed through my hands on the way to others. (He also knows that it'll be powered by the clean Tower of Power he described recently on the forum.)

Naturally, the project boat has a broken windshield, which prompted the idea of chopping the spare we had kicking around the shop. The low-slung windshield, with a center post included, might look nice on the new project.

The latest Skagit 20 is being acquired from Scott and Fran McDade of LaConner. I'll post photos after retrieving the beast, sometime before Christmas.

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                          X