Cleat and bow light placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleat and bow light placement

Trying to prepare ahead for the placement of my bow light and cleats. This is what the boat had before. (1st pic)
    My light is the retractable type, so there will be a large hole cut through the deck in the center.
    Problem: There is a glassed in support in the middle of the deck on the underside that I would have to cut through, so I only want to do this once.
    Question 1: Should the bow light be as far foward as posible? I've seen some that were close to the windshield. (2nd pic)
    Question 2: Should I install a large cleat in front of the bow light at the edge of the bow like it was before? Or should the bow light be there, and the cleat be back near the windshield? Ideas please.
    Attached Files

Cleat and Bowlight Positions

If you're going to compromise strength of the deck's underlying structure, I'd place the bowlight as far forward as possible--and maybe glass in some kind of structural bridge piece beneath the gaping bowlight hole--and install the cleat a short distance forward of the windshield...where you can reach it from the cockpit. Chocks would be in their old position, or maybe slightly farther aft so that your bowline-to-dock angle ends up being roughly 45 degrees.

That's the trouble with the various recessed cleats and lights--they demand such a large hole, right where you don't want one.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 20590
      If you're going to compromise strength of the deck's underlying structure, I'd place the bowlight as far forward as possible--and maybe glass in some kind of structural bridge piece beneath the gaping bowlight hole--and install the cleat a short distance forward of the windshield...where you can reach it from the cockpit. Chocks would be in their old position, or maybe slightly farther aft so that your bowline-to-dock angle ends up being roughly 45 degrees.

That's the trouble with the various recessed cleats and lights--they demand such a large hole, right where you don't want one.

- Marty
      Thanks Marty. I won't have a problem reaching forward of the windshield, I have a flat glass windshield, that will be going on the boat, with an opening section in the middle. That way I don't have to crawl over the windshield to get to the bow.
      Also, what is the correct direction for the chocks? I noticed that there is a left and right.

Comment

Chocks...

The chocks should be just the way they are in your first photo (above)...assuming you're reusing the same ones.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
        X