Something Different...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Different...

This morning I started refinish work on a classic 15' wooden driftboat owned by Sean McCann of Seattle. It was custom built for his uncle in Montana, and is in great structural shape...but the varnish has failed in several areas, so I removed all of the seats and hardware, and got started on sanding today.

Do any of our members have driftboats, by any chance?

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Not only don't have one, but don't know much about them. What are the two hoops for?
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Hoops

Jack -

When you're drifting downstream and want to stand in the boat to cast, you brace yourself by snuggling your hips in-between those wooden jaws...a hands-free way to keep from going overboard. Looks like it would work pretty well...and the hoops also help keep the boat cover elevated so water drains off, when the boat's not in use.

I don't know much about driftboats, so it's been interesting to see the many special design features; the boat is obviously very well thought-out.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Drift boats are way cool, especially when on the river with a Steelhead on the line. Years ago I got to help a friend build two, an 8' and a 10'. No wasted space, and cool curves.
        ChuckB
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Fresh Varnish on Driftboat

As everyone agrees, prep work is 90% of any paint or varnish job, and that's certainly been the case with the wooden driftboat I'm refinishing.

Sanding down failed areas of the old varnish was especially slow on this one, since the builder used Bristol Finish, a two-part urethane that's basically like sanding epoxy. The product is supposed to last 100 times longer than traditional spar varnish and I can see why after sanding the stuff...but this boat unfortunately got water trapped under the tarp for a long time, and even the Bristol Finish failed in many places.

I might use Bristol again on another project, just to test the 100-times-more-durable claim. It goes on very nicely, seems to lay down well (not too thick, not too runny), and it covers well...so it might be a winner--as long as you don't leave the boat outside and have to sand the product down later!

Here are a few shots with Coat #1 on the driftboat. When I finish the varnish work, I'll apply a fresh coat of the Speedliner nonskid product to the inside floor areas, put the hardware and seats back in place and be done.

Speaking of being done, do any members need a new transom, cockpit floor, finish work or some other kind of help this winter? I've had three recent project cancellations and indefinite delays (mainly people who have lost their jobs or had their small businesses go south), and am suddenly staring down the barrel of a nearly blank project calendar. I could squeeze in most any kind of project, short- or longer-term, starting in the next week or so. If you want to discuss possible projects, please e-mail Marty@islandboatshop.com

- Marty
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for info Marty. It's time for me to refinish my wooden kayak decks. Might give this product a try. I store them in the garage, so they are out of the weather for the most part. Like the idea of not having to refinish so often. Would rather be out paddling somewhere.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Wood Always looks good with shellac or varathane boss VeryBigSmile

Whats this? Could that be a gantry. If so, its something most of us old guys need in the shop :Runaway1:

(look for the red arrows in the picture)
              Attached Files
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Next question would be, Where did you get it and does it work good for you. :BigWink1:
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Gantry

Joe -

The gantry is great, with heavy-duty casters that roll easily.

Bill Childs, of Bartender Boats in Bellingham, closed his boatshop and moved the plan-sales business home...and needed a good home for the big gantry. So it's on loan for an indefinite period, until/unless Bill gets a boatshop again. The thing bolts together so it's easy enough to transport, which is nice.

Height is 10 feet, and it's also 10 feet wide so it'll go around any of the boat projects.

- Marty

Comment

Marty,
                    Sweet boat,Marty.
                    Old man Wooldridge used to float the Rogue River ,loaded up for hunting trips with notables like Clark Gable and such.He used to use Dynomite to blast away some rocks (at Hells Gate I believe)that made it nearly impossible in the early days.
                    Then he was the first guy to run UP the whitewater ,with a Mercury motor roped tightly with throttle handle pinned wide open while the 6` plus elder ALSO ROWED.
                    Some wild pics are on display of their wooden boats which precluded the Alum boats they now build.
                    Find one of their Grand-dads wood drift boats and you could name your price......the wood boats usually became flower pots in yards.
                    There is a good book they offer for sale thru their website about the early days and at the showroom which has many cool old items including one of my old Mercs.
                    These boats are made to "hold your water" as you drifted and found good places to fling flies and lures.Wished I knew how to do that type of fishing,you really get to places nobody else can,then hover while your buddy slays one.
                    TimM
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                    X