No announcement yet.

Now we're talking!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lootas, the car was built in LA and first licensed in Arizona. I drove it from there to Seattle and three years later traded it for an MGB roadster. The "Trimagnum" was fun to drive but not very practical (no reverse, heater or windshield wipers). While searching for this youtube video I discovered the plans were sold by Mechanix Illustrated -- not Popular Mechanics. It drew crowds whenever I stopped for gas. Still looks futuristic almost 30 years later!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7Sww1ltCE"]Tri-Magnum - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Really cool trike, Dan - makes sense that a guy crazy enough to be restoring a '39 vintage Monk would have built a trick TriMagnum. I seem to remember that Jerry also fits into the crazy category after restoring a Corvair. :shocked3:

Your suggestion of using urethane foam to form the shape of a McChesney replica roof is a good one. Like you, my introduction to fiberglass came from the pages of Popular Mechanics - in 1980. As a junior high student, I talked my shop teacher into allowing me to build a "laser like" sailboat during class as well as nights and weekends. The caveat being, that I had to build him one -simultaneously. The plywood hull was augmented by a layer of 6oz cloth on my Mom's back patio.

Soon, I was modifying my 73 VW Fastback with custom glass fabrications and had enough requests to perform work for others that a business was started before graduating in 1984. My first real "plug" or model for building a mold for a custom Honda bumper was built using the scant information in an old book from the library. The author recommended plaster over wood buck, which seemed labor intensive but affordable. Because of my involvement in classic boats, I now realize that the "bible" that I used - chronicled the development of the Glasspar G2 automobile body.

After struggling with the bulky plaster concept, foam became the material of choice for building prototypes, masters and one offs.

Looking at your numbers for keeping a boat in a marina, I wonder if obtaining insurance for a wood hull is a problem. Did you have to show a clean survey? to prove that it won't sink? Thanks for posting.

Comment

Actually, it was 3 Corvairs -- two turbocharged convertibles and one Rampside pickup. It was kind of fun at the time.
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Speaking of Streamliners...

Another boatbuilder who developed interesting, semi-streamliner designs was Steelcraft, known mainly for the 26-foot steel cruisers they built right after World War Two. They lasted only 7 more years before going bankrupt, but today old Steelcrafts have become quite collectible.

This is a 26-foot Deluxe Sedan by Steelcraft, with a mahogany-trimmed cabin.

And here's a link to the history of Steelcraft:

http://www.steelcruisers.com/steelcrafts.html

- Marty
          Attached Files
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Slo-mo, is that custom doghouse in your Glastron Custom? I could just make out what looked to be the same doghouse in those pictures Chuck Carey shared on another thread. Very nice design! You can form just about anything using rigid foam!

(Edited to add): I didn't have to show a survey for the hull insurance - it was all done by phone and email application, hence the exorbitant rate.

Comment

Thats my chris craft!!!!!

Hello everyone! :Skipper1:I was searching google about my 68 Futura a few nights ago and saw a pic of my boat in your forum! It was cool to see the interest and discussion about it. Not sure how to do this forum thing or where this comment is going to show up in the thread but, Just wanted to say Hello and I look forward to talking with you more experienced classic boaters input about the work Im planning for the boat this spring.

Attached Files
              Jack Douglas

Comment

Back to the Futura...

Originally posted by DesignerMind, post: 21131
                Not sure how to do this forum thing or where this comment is going to show up in the thread but, Just wanted to say Hello and I look forward to talking with you more experienced classic boaters input about the work Im planning for the boat this spring.
                Hi Jack, you've done a great job updating your time machine. Not sure that any of us understand this forum thing. I hope to see you at an event or cruising Lake Washington.

Please show some more pics of your custom.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                X