Rolling & Tipping Paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling & Tipping Paint

Over the past two days I moved a couple of small rowboats into the shop for refinish work, so I could sell them with fresh coats of paint. One is a newly built plywood 9-foot V-bottom dinghy built (but never painted) by a neighbor; the other is an older 10-foot fiberglass reproduction of a Whitehall-style rowing boat, with wineglass transom and two rowing stations--and mahogany seats that give it a classy look.

After sanding and filling small gouges, pinholes other slight imperfections in both hulls, I decided to roll and tip the paint job. While this is often done with two persons--one moving slightly ahead, rolling paint onto the hull in approximately 2-foot sections, and the other following right behind lightly leveling the paint with a nearly dry brush--it was easy to roll and tip the small dinghies by myself, since the areas covered were smaller.

I know rolling and tipping has been covered here before, but I wanted to add a few specific tips:

* PAINT - For most small-boat projects like this, I prefer either Interlux Brightside Polyurethane or Pettit Easypoxy. Both are easy to use, give a nice and durable finish, and are pretty non-toxic when compared with the two-part products. Thin as recommended on the can...usually about 10%. (By the way, last week I tried a very different two-part, water-based paint that's been kicking around the shop for several years, unopened. It was a one-gallon kit of System Three paint that advertised as a low-VOC product (appealing), so I finally got around to giving it a whirl. While System Three makes some great epoxy products (I really like their Clear Coat), stay away from their water-based paints--they're AWFUL! Even applied over a very good primer and allowed to cure properly, the paint peeled away in small sheets when lightly scuff-sanded...just like a cheap latex house paint, only worse. ...But I digress.)

* ROLLERS - When rolling and tipping, the best approach is to use the little 4-inch weenie rollers that feature relatively dense foam. Beware of the cheapos that are only good for water-based paints (their foam is often not as smooth or dense as the solvent-resistant kind that are designed for enamels, urethanes and varnishes). So far, my absolute favorite is made by Redtree Industries, sold in two-packs. I get mine at Admiral Ship Supply for $4.83 per two-pack, although the suggested retail price is $8.45. (If not at your local hardware store, they can be found at most marine or paint stores.)

* BRUSHES - I love working with a good natural-bristle brush for a lot of paint work, but nothing beats a foam brush when rolling and tipping. (After all, the point of tipping is to eliminate brush marks, as much as possible.) But beware--while they may look the same, not all foam brushes are equal. If you go to the local hardware store, you may find foam brushes that (like some foam rollers) are very coarse in terms of foam density. You want foam that's more-or-less the density of the Redtree rollers, and so far my favorite foam brush is the 2-inch-wide "Poly-Brush" model made by Jen Manufacturing, USA. There's a Chinese 2-incher that's equally good, simply labeled "Foam Brush 8505." When you're picking brushes out of the bin, be selective...making sure that their brush ends are cut straight across and grabbing the ones that haven't been crushed/distorted in shape at the bottom of the pile. (The foam may spring back in time, but why not start with the good ones?) Retail for the foam brushes I buy is listed as $1.15 each, but they're often sold for a bit less.

* ROLLER TRAYS - When using the 4-inch-wide rollers, you want to go with a narrow 6-inch-wide tray. My favorite is a solvent-resistant model made by Premier Paint Roller Co. of Richmond Hill, NY. ($2.20 each suggested retail). The great thing about narrower paint trays is that they're easier to pick up and move than big, wide and paint-loaded trays...and you waste less paint in the end, since it's confined to a smaller area. On smaller paint projects like the little rowing boats, I place the tray on a small rolling wooden stool, tacking scraps of 1"x1" fir down on the seat to keep the tray from accidentally being pushed onto the floor. I sit on a small, height-adjustable rolling chair, pushing the paint-tray ahead of me, and am able to scoot around the perimeter without a lot of bending and twisting. A final tip is to stack 3-4 of the trays on top of one another, to add stiffness and strength when you have to pick them up.

* TECHNIQUE - Nothing new here, but the object is to get just enough paint on the roller for even coverage...but avoid uneven application. (You're trying to pretend that tipping isn't an option, and that whatever you lay down with the roller is the final product--as smooth and even as possible, not quite subject to sags.) On a typical smaller boat, you can roll in whatever direction you want, but you want to use the almost-dry foam brush to tip vertically--not horizontally--since vertically-tipped paint will be less inclined toward runs and sags. (The exception would be a fiberglass hull that has faux planking seams indented into the surface; in that case, you might have to roll and tip parallel to the planking seams, in order to avoid "catching" paint in the recesses.) The most important thing about tipping is how you hold the brush and how much pressure you apply--or, more accurately, DON'T apply. You want to pretend that you're painting with a fine artist's brush, holding the brush's wooden handle near the end and very lightly and evenly stroking from top to bottom...using just enough pressure to even out the paint, knock down roller bubbles and eliminate any heavy spots, but not so much that your dragging a load of paint down with you. If the paint starts feeling too thick and heavy midway through the job, add another splash of thinner.

Here are a few shots of the skiffs I was painting yesterday (lower foreground of the first photo), along with the roller tray, roller and 2-inch foam brush.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty,
    I agree on the System 3......totally failed for me too,then peeled away in sheets like foil.
    Thanx for sharing the "Recipe".
    My favorite rollers are made by Shur-Line,sold at McLendon`s.Both ends are rounded so no lines are formed on the square end.
    I also use my "Weak" side to tip or my left hand,holding the foam brush loosely and trying to feel the paint.Toss the brush if it loads with paint ,start fresh and it will be worth the $2.Same on the roller if it starts to fail or leaves chunks.
    I used Awlgrip since I had it and it needed to be pressed hard to spread it evenly and prevent sagging.
    I just rolled out the Fleetform the past few days and it came out pretty good in our balmy 60` Feb weather.
    Alot less bugs to land in the finish this time of year but some still flew "into the White".
    TM
    Tip of the day.....Make a funnel on the paint can out of tape,then peel it away before the paint flows around the lip and glues it shut for good.:BigWink1:
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Is it possible for posts such as this to be saved somewhere to be used for future reference

Comment

I agree with Clint, we need a section for the collection of restoration "TIPS" to cut down on the search time. :TwoCents1:

And Thanks to Marty, Tim, and all the others who share their insight. :cool1:
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I never had much luck with foam brushes for tipping. I was probably using a low quality brush, I will try again.

Marty, what you explained above is pretty much the same process I use when painting my wood kayaks. (except for the foam brushes) I also use the Interlux Brightsides. My oldest kayak is about 10 years old. Aside from the bottom scratches, the paint is holding up extremely well.

Here is a picture of the last kayak I built a couple years ago for my gran daughter's HS graduation. ChuckC will like the color.
          Attached Files
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Rolling, Tipping

Steve -

Is that a Chesapeake 17 by CLC? Very nice boat...even with Carey Blue.

On the subject of preserving restoration tips, maybe Tim and McSon can create such a section of the new website they're working on...(?)

- Marty
            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I think with the more interacting website like we have coming that, yes, its more than possible to have a link for projects..
              We sure have the web space to house it.

Just a thought here.
              I am sure we could do something such as like Marks Bell Boy from start to finish.

If Jack Dando agrees, I could even post the restoration of his Bell Boy to the point were it left here. Then add pictures as he finishes it.
              Jack ??
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yes Marty. That one is a Chesapeake 17. Great paddling kayak.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

And Steve yes i like that "Carey" Blue as Marty calls it ! The Saratoga just might be another spin off of a new combo idea. Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

?'s

Marty, Thanks for this info! I want to try this process again myself and I have a few questions if I might. I guess you use an orbital sander of some sort, what grit of sandpaper will this cover without showing sanding scratches? Do you use something to wash the hull after sanding or just blow/vacume clean. I was also wondering about primer, can it be applied this way, or will the color coat have enough fill to not be needed. Keep up the great work! - Ross
                    Ross Henson

Comment

Ross, I sand down with 80,120 and 320 in that order with a orbital sander. I wipe down with water to get rid of the major dust and let it dry before wiping down again with Interlux 333 solvent. The last time I repainted I used two coats of Interlux primer sanding with 120 in between coats and 320 after the last coat before rolling and tipping. I sanded the first coat with 320 after it dried for 24 hrs.. Temp. is important. I like 70 to 75 degrees. If it is too cool the Interlux doesn't seem to lay down well, too warm and it can dry to fast making it difficult to tip. The project turned out real well but I'm not sure it's neccessary to go to such lengthes in the preping. This took me about 100 hrs. preping and 10 hrs. preping. Next time it's coming to you and your sprayer.
                      Greg James

Comment

Sorry Ross, That's 100 hrs. preping and 10 hrs. painting.
                        Greg James

Comment

I myself have always had to take things down with the orbital sander and would go down to 120 grit with it. Then out comes the block sander and the bright lights, 120 again, then down to 220, then stain, sealer then either paint or varnish for wood.
                          Fiberglass, same thing if I am down into the gelcoat or paint.
                          First clue on wood is once you lay down the stain, your going to see the swirls if you have them. :TwoCents1:
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen
                          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I was sorta thinking somthing like that, thanks. Greg while it might not take 10 hrs to spray one I'll bet the prep time is close to the same... You won't be needing any paint work on that good looking Skagit of yours for a good long while anyway!
                            Ross Henson

Comment

I need to touch up sometimes. That goes like sand with 320, wipe with Interlux 333, paint and don't crash into the dock again.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X