Dorsett San Juan Discovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsett San Juan Discovery

I traded some boat parts for a 18’ Bellboy safety glass windshield today. Taking some rough dimensions and eye balling it, it seemed like it was going to be a pretty close fit for what I was looking for.

As it turns out it was an almost a perfect fit. Maybe ¾” too wide, but absolutely workable. Even the slope of the glass was perfect!

Bellboys are way more common up here in the PNW than Dorsetts. I would imagine this will be a welcome bit of news for the Dorsett clan.

I still have to reattach the base bezel and end caps, but you get the idea.

Check it out…
    Attached Files

Dorsett San Juan...

Doug -

Good looking windshield, Doug...I'd say it's a winner.

One other thing about your San Juan that might be unique: I don't think I've ever seen Dorsett's beautifully designed, cast-aluminum anchor-light mast on a San Juan model before...maybe only on the Farallon? Cleaned up, that's one of the most attractive bits of deck hardware on any classic-glass boat.

I didn't notice before starting this post if anyone responded to your request for tips on polishing hardware, including the aluminum mast, but we generally start with about 400 grit sandpaper, work up through 800, 1200 and sometimes up to 2500, then turn to the fine wire-wheel buffer and finally the cotton buffing wheel with various compounds...until the items look like new chrome. Then you clean them up with acetone, let dry thoroughly, and spray with mag-wheel clearcoat to keep the finish from immediately dulling.

Should be a great boat for you--ideal size for towing, soft ride and classic Dorsett lines.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Polish Aluminum

I cheat and take mine to the chrome shop and they polish it for labor - Cost me $60.00 to have mine done . Alot cheaper than chrome plating

That Glove box on the Flyer is Aluminum - they polish just like chrome
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Bellboy Windshield

The year and model for the windshield is 1967 Express. Other years may fit too, but this is where mine came from.

Comment

San Juan Cast-Aluminum Lightpole

Rick -

Guess I didn't notice that you had one of those beautiful cast-aluminum lightpoles on your Dorsett, so I'm clearly wrong in assuming that they only came on the Farallon model.

Nice piece, eh?

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Mast pole

They were on the San Juans and Farallon , I always wondered why they had the tilt back windshield on the San Juan some of the stories I've heard is so you can get them in a garage ? Well the mast sticks up higher than the windshield. These mast are really hard to find and they will fetch a big price on E-bay - So if you ever see a scrap boat that has one, it would be worth the price alone. I had mine polished & completely re-wired it with all new Bayonet fittings and also drilled out the allen screws and went to the next size and put in Stainless Allen screws. It was also just screwed to the top of the cabin with wood screws and was very flimsy they had nothing underneath to help support the mast. I glued a nice piece of plywood underneath and through bolted it on. Lot stronger now .
            Rick & Sarah

Comment

Doug, Rick's right, if you ever find a San Juan / Farallon to buy cheap just to get a extra mast it is worth it ! If you want a new Perko lens on the top, the product code Globe Cat # 248-DP-CLR and you can get them at West Marine or any store selling Perko products. I think it really makes a Dorsett SJ / Farallon with those mast a real cool looking boat. Rick, they have the tilt back windshield as well on the Catalina at least on the Catalina i have.On my Farallon i had to raised my shelter ( 40' long ) 2 feet from 10' feet just to get into the shelter and you had to make sure you went right down the middle of the peak with the mast and even that was still was close ! Just the other day Marty deliver to me my new cabin door for my Skagit like he had made back in 2006 for my Farallon.The first picture is just after i got it home and wanted to just see how it fit without any hardware or alignment yet. Staining and hinges are next. My Skagit 20 has a few things incorporated into it from some of my past Skagits and now the Farallon door. Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

[quote="bham-rick, post: 21232"]They were on the San Juans and Farallon , I always wondered why they had the tilt back windshield on the San Juan some of the stories I've heard is so you can get them in a garage ?

Rick, Can you get the phone number of Mr. Dor's? and ask him about the tilt back windshield idea ? They were on some of the runabouts as well. Chuck

Comment

My Catalina had one also !

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 21233
                  Doug, Rick's right, if you ever find a San Juan / Farallon to buy cheap just to get a extra mast it is worth it ! If you want a new Perko lens on the top, the product code Globe Cat # 248-DP-CLR and you can get them at West Marine or any store selling Perko products. I think it really makes a Dorsett SJ / Farallon with those mast a real cool looking boat. Rick, they have the tilt back windshield as well on the Catalina at least on the Catalina i have.On my Farallon i had to raised my shelter ( 40' long ) 2 feet from 10' feet just to get into the shelter and you had to make sure you went right down the middle of the peak with the mast and even that was still was close ! Just the other day Marty deliver to me my new cabin door for my Skagit like he had made back in 2006 for my Farallon.The first picture is just after i got it home and wanted to just see how it fit without any hardware or alignment yet. Staining and hinges are next. My Skagit 20 has a few things incorporated into it from some of my past Skagits and now the Farallon door. Chuck
                  I could see it on the Catalina because it just had a wimpy Mast light ? Can't imagine having to tilt back the windshield and remove the mast just to fit in the carport ? That was Bill that got in contact with Dick Dorst - I never got his number - I did get in touch with Mr. Isset's daughter "Bonnie " she is the little dark haired girl in alot of the boat ads . She got some shirts and hats from me back in the days !
                  Attached Files
                  Rick & Sarah

Comment

Yea, I knew it was Bill, but thought you might have had it too. Chuck

Comment

Working...
                    X