1971 Johnson Trim Tilt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Johnson Trim Tilt

We have a 1958 (we think) Bell Boy express 18+' with a 100 horse Johnson that runs strong. Anybody have any information on what I need for a power trim tilt and or know where to get one?

I mounted a CMC tilt & trim on my 59 Seafair for the 60hp Johnson. Works great. They are rated up to 130hp.

Here is the link http://www.cook-mfg.com/
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I`d go aftermarket as Steve suggests....the older versions side mounted on the Stbd frame with 3 bolts don`t work as well as the modern center mounted ones of newer years(which won`t fit).1979 + are best to add as it came from OMC ,though Steve`s CMC worked and was cost effective.
      I have seen a bracket scoop water if mounted too low so check from side and make sure it clears the rising spray from Keel/Bottom.Expect it to rise 1`` each foot.6`` setback needs 1/2`` higher motor but cav plate should be flush with bottom.
      Trim really is nice so you can "feather" the angle of attack from the bottom,either making steering easier or if pulled all the way in ,some torque will occur,but you`ll have a quicker holeshot and time to plane,and then trimming out to find the "sweet spot" lessening the amt of drag from the skeg.
      Some boats are so flat ,it won`t react to trim as on others.....
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks guys. My partner is concerned about weight and the ability to make the steerring attachments. Does a CSC 130 use the same attachments or do we have to do some adapters.

Comment

The CMC mounts will match up to your Johnson. The install is pretty simple.
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Thanks Steve. Thats what I needed to know. Ill take it that the wires and cables will not need to me modified or adapted. Thats helpful. Ive never pulled a motor off before. Is it safe to assume that we can lift it fairly easy with a hoist? Swing it aside, mount the CSC and swing it back into position? As I understand it the cav plate is to be level with the bottom and raised an inch for every 5 inches the motor moves away from the transom? I appreciate the help!

Comment

The steering cable will be easier to mount but can get shorter if just long enough as was.
              You won`t need to raise it unless really tail heavy,exhaust port may get stuffed by water at some slower speeds or the spray is really bad.Go flush for a baseline,5`` isn`t really that much.
              The bracket has same hole pattern as motor ,which can be floorjacked and supported on a pallet(two guys to steady) or even a cargo ratchet strap from overhead.You could even lower the bow ,tie it to a rafter or blocks under skeg,then lift bow until motors is "raised".Roll boat forward to clear room or roll motor on the floorjack with strong help.
              Mount the CMC,then rebolt motor.
              Possible to do this with all rigging still connected btw.
              If you get spray from being too low,then raise one bolt hole.
              If trimmed too far out ,you may get porpoising ,but the you simply trim down until it goes away.
              Used to steer my Seafair with the trim.
              TM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks for the help and thats the way we are going at this point. My partner has lots of concerns so we may stay with the old break you back process.

Great help and thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X