Tuned, but still messed up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuned, but still messed up

Back from having Rosario tuned up. My worst suspicion confirmed. Had the impeller replaced because of age and since it was in the shop at it is a $50 bill for the ferry to take the boat across on trailer. It was in good shape. Just beginning to take a set, mechanic said. Had trailer lights replaced with LED lights. Tuned up. The two big problems that I had hoped to have corrected remain uncorrected. The spring that releases the tilt hooks is missing and the shop could not locate a source to replace. That release is what caused me to have to be rescued by the CG last summer when I couldn't tilt the motor and buried the prop in the mud on an out tide on Cypress Island. The fast idle couldn't be repaired as it was totally worn out in the control box and the shop said there was no way to pick up the slack. So, I'm now nearly $500 lighter and still can only tilt my motor by leaning far over the transom and going into the water to release the hook. The shop told me the motor won't be dying the moment I put it in reverse to back it off the trailer so long as I warm the motor up good before putting it in gear. I guess he doesn't understand what kind of neighbors I have wanting to use the single boat ramp if I'd ever get my rig out of the way.
    So here's my plea: Help! Anyone got a spring that would fit the 1986 50 hp. Evinrude tilt release. Anyone got a control box that isn't in too worn shape so I can have fast idle? I'd be happy to buy new if someone knows a place that my shop doesn't know about.
    Okay, I know Chuck and Greg you told me where to go (in Everett, that is, not the really hot place) but you don't quite comprehend my lack of driving skill in traffic and eyesight that may require a huge bribe next time I have to renew my driver's license. (Don't worry, folks, I only tow the boat from my house to our boat ramp less than 200 yards from home except when my friends tell me I gotta take it to a shop and get it fixed!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Jerry, you might try Tom's Outboard Service in Olympia. 360 754-3882
    Tom is a real "WIZ" with outboards, especially Evinrude and Johnsons. He has tons of parts, even for older outboards. Give him a call, maybe he could mail the parts to you.
    Jack Leslie
    1948 Sande launch
    1962 Stiletto

Comment

Jerry, If you had told me that you had a driving problem i would have been more than happy to make arrangement with you to take your boat to Everett.Tim at Cascade i 'am sure would have fixed everything. Please call Tim ( 360-303-0200 ) and i'am sure he will be able to fix your two problems. "O" yea !!!! Screw the neighbors. Hell i can hear GregJ flushing his freaking motor four houses away. No big deal. lol Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I personally love my aftermarket CMC tilt trim unit. Just use a button to raise or lower the motor. You also can adjust the ride on your Skagit which really helps in different water conditions. Bow down for chop and up for speed. Its expensive at around $600, but for me it was worth it. I have it on my Skagit Skimaster. Really a simple installation as it bolts on the transom in your existing holes and the motor bolts on to the CMC. Clint
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jack, Chuck and Clint. I know all things are possible and now I know more about where to go next. And I will. Clint I really like the idea of adding power trim and tilt. If it really is an easy installation, perhaps I'll bite the bullet and buy the tilt and forget that gold crown my dentist is planning to sell me. I'm sure I'd get more enjoyment out of a motor that I could easily lift than one more pretty tooth so far back no one sees it anyway. Now that would get me down to just the control box. I'll try Tim in Everett and the guy in Olympia and see if they can help. I'm determined to do some boating this summer.

Comment

Jerry, Yea that's great. As far as the neighbors go, you should have heard that "Black Max" 150hp Mercury on the Farallon start up. I would try to time it so the 2 year old next door was not taking a nap as it sounded like a 747 was flying over the house about 50 feet above.Chuck

Comment

Jerry,
              Sorry your trim and throttle box are still giving fits...you aren`t alone as I`ve heard your story replayed 2-3 times this past 2 months alone.
              Stan Davis may have the same story too,having trouble at cold start is sounding like a common theme.Once shifted you get more throttle action,hence more timing....and speed.
              That $500 was what the Wiz was quoted for a box that simply needed a screw tightened (after a fiber washer was moved to where it should be),Water test yet to come...).
              These greasy internal screws need loctite or they back out after several uses.One screw is hidden and when turning the visible nut (on the fast idle lever,but behind the box) it just spins and won`t take out the slop unless you hold a slothead.Two slots sit against the pinned handle,a gap gets bigger and the slots no longer hold firm.
              Sounds easy but isn`t and is why they love to sell you a new one......now at $389 plus install of course.Loose control box parts no longer sold by BRP of course....
              I do have a few pcs left from old boxes but see so many better options between you and here I know you`ll one day see one worth grabbing.
              One other thing I`ve also seen is the timing plate under flywheel will stick causing throttle to no return or respond to warm-up lever.
              With throttle cable unhooked,the timing plate should move with fingers back and forth ,from idle stop to Wide open stop.
              Maybe you could lace a long shoelace around that release hook and run it to the dash so you can pull the string when you want it to release....hit reverse and Viola!
              Just kidding but would love to solve this one .....
              TimM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks Tim. The motor might have a screw loose but I'm getting more and more certain every day that I have. I'm thinking I should do all my boating from where Rosario sets on the trailer. I can look right out over Hales Passage and much of Bellingham Bay. The motor starts and runs, even in gear, when all the prop has to push is air. I never need worry about it needing to be tilted and there is no saltwater corrosion problem. I'll turn on the VHF and listen to boaters on the water and dream I'm out among them. A little push on the throttle from time to time to listen to Varoom, varoom and perhaps a blender to make a pitcher of margaritas (Hopefully, I won't get drunk and fall overboard but at least I won't drown. I'll just crawl to the house to get another bottle of tequilla.) If this works, you are all invited to a party on my boat (only 3 or 4 guests at a time).

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 22368
                  Jerry,
                  Stan Davis may have the same story too,having trouble at cold start is sounding like a common theme. TimM
                  Mine seemed a lot better last week, maybe the Seafoam treatment helped. It does sometimes take some cranking before it fires when cold, but once it does it seems to run pretty well. It does have one annoying and possibly serious problem. Almost every time while accellerating there is a loud thunk, like I hit a log. But when I look back, guess what- no log. When it used to happen occasionally, I thought it was the trim not holding and the motor was hitting the bar. Now it's just about every time, so that can't be it. I suppose it must be lower unit related. Not shifting into gear all the way?

Comment

Woke at 3 a.m. thinking about outboard problem, boating and standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills. Got up 2 1/2 hours later with no good answers in mind. Talked to Tom at Tom's Marine in Olympia yesterday. He assured me he could fix the problem but wouldn't ship me up parts without looking at motor. Tried Tim at Everett outboard place. Couldn't get through by phone all day. Verizon said try back later. Thought about going into the control box today. Generally, when I start into something I know nothing about, I just make it worse. Seems like all I need is to be able to set the idle up a bit so motor wouldn't stall when I shift it into gear or maybe some bypass so I could just fire up the engine in gear and roar right off the trailer. And, then there's the tilt that only lacks a spring to release. No problems that a pile of money couldn't fix. Maybe it is getting time to get me a good corner in town and a sign "will work for money". Do any of those sign holders actually have to work for their money?

Comment

Quote from Jerry: Maybe it is getting time to get me a good corner in town and a sign "will work for money". Do any of those sign holders actually have to work for their money?

Jerry, I for one have a friend that "works for money" doing anything so he can put some of the food on his family table in Oregon after the state give him a very small amount to survive on monthly. Not fun for him to accept money. Very sad story. At one point he was on "Top Of The World".

Comment

Jerry,

B-bring
                        O-out
                        A-another
                        T-thousand
                        Jack Leslie
                        1948 Sande launch
                        1962 Stiletto

Comment

Chuck, I hear you. My oldest son works for the Forest Service in central Oregon and they are closing his facility in September and he is on a job search. He is trying to find another job as a millwright with the federal government as he is within 10 years of retirement.
                          Jack, I also know what you are talking about. Saw what might be the solution to my motor problems on eBay. A 1988 'Rude 50 with 125 lbs. on each cylinder and power tilt/trim but price is around $2,200 plus shipping from Georgia (as I recall). So, it wouldn't be Bring Out Another Thousand but more than twice that and who knows what is, or might soon be, wrong with that one.
                          Well, my father, who was a career (?) federal prison guard, told me "Son, remember these three words and you'll never be without money -- stick 'em up!" Of course, he didn't follow his own advice and raised five kids starting in the depression on a pretty small salary and, like all kids none of us took his advice and we all stayed out of the pokey.

Comment

Sorry to hear your troubles.

On my 40 horse '86 Johnson the throttle linkage has adjusters for the cable tension. Perhaps you could open the throttle there a little bit in lieu of a proper idle fix?
                            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                            Past Affairs:
                            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Thanks John. Mine is already opened out all the way. But that does make me wonder if I couldn't get by with just a new cable? Guess that is why the mechanic said the cable was stretched as I wasn't aware that cable will stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X