1957 OMC 35hp Electrical Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 OMC 35hp Electrical Problem

OK, so just to set this up, I'm not Bruce Buck, and this is quite possibly a different problem....
    The motor has the magneto system, electric start, no generator. Has a solenoid mounted in the engine rather than the separate relay box, as was originally stock. Has a separate elec circuit through a panel with no key switch.
    This motor has run just fine ( with a few other issues !) for five years now. Recently, and not coinciding with any other changes, it's had a live spark when the cowl is touched. I found one spot where it was arcing across from block to cowl, so eliminated that. Found another and haven't cleaned that up as I want to find the reason why there's a live current coming from the coils/armature plate. Have inspected all the possible areas- plug wires, loose wires on coils possibly rubbing on underside of flywheel, etc.
    Is it possible that I have a coil that has reversed polarity, and how does it get "reversed" ? Right now it's acting up and running on one cylander. I know which cylander as it's wet and the other is dry. Changed the suspected coil last week but the symptom is still there.
    Any guesses/places to start ?
    Thanks, bruceb

Have you replaced the spark plug leads from the coils to the plugs? They can look ok but under load, short to the engine block or the magneto plate in a couple different places. 50 years is a long time for an insulator.

If anything else was shorting, it shouldn't have enough current to do much but ground out the cylinder. My main engine now is a '58,'59', '62 franken-rude-son, using parts from 5 motors. Got another motor to build out of the pile waiting on the back burner. Good luck!
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Thanks for the response, Brian. I only have the last 5 years or so on this motor, and I haven't changed the plug wires in that time. I had the armature plate off and inspected the wires from the lower side- they had a little white chafing where they routed past posts, but otherwise appeared OK. I've wrapped the 90 degree boots at the plugs with elec tape to eliminate that as a possible contact location but hasn't eliminated it. I have just one parts motor for this baby, ha ha, and I'll take that apart to see if there's a wire to swap across and test. The new coil I've purchased has fewer plates on the magnets as the older one. Should I be using identical coils ?
      Thanks again....
      bruceb

Comment

Working...
      X