Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing Gas and two cycle oil in bulk tank.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Gas and two cycle oil in bulk tank.

Let's say I have a two cycle outboard (I do) and that I am thinking of replacing a number of 6 gallon orange tanks with a single bulk tank (I am).

So the question is that with a bulk tank you are no longer able to pick up the tank and shake it. (I can't)

So how do you go about mixing say 35 gallons of gas and 90 ounces of oil (at 2.56 oz per gal.) since 50:1 gasoline is no longer available at the pump, even at CAP SANTE.

------------------------------------------ - - -

While we are on the subject, what about using regular with 10% ethanol?
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

If you are talking about physically mixing the oil/gas mix then what you are supposed to do is put a portion of your gas in the tank, add your oil then put the remainder of gas in which will mix it thoroughly. Today's premium oil basically by itself anyway and stays mixed. Not like a long time ago. From what I heard gas has a short shelf life. I use what I mix.

I also use this gas/oil calculator. It's easy and I just look it up on my iPhone when I go to get gas.
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

As far as ethanol goes, I only use ethanol free gas from Chevron in Canada. It's 94 octane and the most expensive they have but apparently it's better than putting alcohol in your vintage motor(s) if thats what you run. The old rubber hoses and stuff will dry out. Doesn't really matter about the new ones. The Merc dealer I went to a couple weeks ago said that while the gas used today is not as good as it was a long time ago, the oil is much, much better than it was.

Comment

hey guys,
      I like to mt a small Moeller glass see-thru filter near the last fuel connection ,which I leave un-clamped (I use a nicer Honda line that pinches tightly)so it can be un-done before running after sitting.I then pump it back thru the fill and watch for the color to go from dark to more of a consistant mix.
      The gas turns orange in lines first,then in the tank after just a few months.
      Running them almost out of gas is a good way to keep lines from turning hard,just rune with fuel line inhooked and then shut-off at the first cough as one carb goes dry.DON`t Rev to run it dry as you`ll expose cyl walls.You just wanna get bowl so it`s low on fuel,thus only a small amt of oil will remain as gas evaporates.
      You should get a nicer 5 gallon pourable tank to mix a portion up as you fill from pump.Add the mix halfway thru filling ,then adj amt at end when you know what went in.
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Depends on where you get your gas I would think. If you are getting it at a marina, then yes, split the fill if you know what you will be putting in. If you are doing it at a filling station and then driving to the launch, fill it up and then put your oil in. Then drive to the launch. All that jostling about between the station and the ramp is sufficient to mix it up.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

With a 35 gallon tank you will most likely have a fuel gauge, yes? You shoud be able to determine how much you fuel you will be putting in, so just pour in the measured amount of oil and fill the tank. The filling of gas into the tank is far more than enough to mix it up. Just be careful with your calculations. This is how I have always filled even my 6 gallon portables...
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I just got an email that said I should take a gallon or so and put it in two gallon gas can with the oil and shake it up,pour in the tank and then put the rest of the gas in. Something about getting the oil in solution with gasoline.

Seems reasonable, but apparently not required according to some here.

Thanks everyone. My cousin the genius says trade the current engine in on a new 70hp 4 cycle Merc. Easy for him to say.
            Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI, post: 23390
              Thanks everyone. My cousin the genius says trade the current engine in on a new 70hp 4 cycle Merc. Easy for him to say.
              A common "easy" solution, when they aren't the ones writing the check...:donttouch:
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
              X