Roadside Skagit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Skagit

Spotted this old beauty in the weeds on the side of Highway 97 near 100 Mile House this summer on a trip up to Williams Lake. Looks pretty banged up - (especially the owners solution to making sure he can get that tower of power all the way up to it's full tilted positon). Actually I'm wondering what any of you other Skagit owners have done to deal with this problem. Jack up the engine with a mount? Notch the fiberglass? Get a smaller motor?

was it for sale? looks rough alright. if the hull is in good shape would be a good project.

Outlaw
    John & Colleen Weston
    Carlyon Beach, Olympia,WA
    lookin for the right boat

Comment

I wonder how long its been sitting there. That registration number is like what was used before the current system (WN 1234 AB) came into being, sometime around 1960. That motor might not be broken in yet.

Comment

Looks like the transom may have been notched for a short shaft motor which would have lowered the motor 5 inches. Looks to be a 1957.

Comment

were the stringers fiberglassed and all fiberglass for that boat? maybe worth another trip to see if you can get it.

Outlaw
          John & Colleen Weston

Comment

I don't actually know if it's for sale or not. I was driving by with my family on a 12 hour road trip and just spotted it on the weeds. It was not the kind of place where I think I'd want to knock on the door at 9:30 am (or maybe ever for that matter). The yard looked like a tornado scattered everything around 40 years ago or like it might end up on a future episode of Hoarders or American Pickers - I'd bet you could buy it - it looks to have not moved for many years. I just really wanted to photograph it for the original gelcoat and seating scheme as I plan to finish mine in the same way but with paint.

Comment

paint, are ya kidding, whats wrong with the old stuff.lol. yeah, it probably be scary or wierd at that place. would be interesting to see about it.

Outlaw
              John & Colleen Weston

Comment

Ya i would prefer it to keep the old gelcoat too but it's under so many layers of paint and primer already and even if I get all that off I don't know what I'm going to find so I figure best to just sand and paint - I've seen some amazing paint by some guys on this site.

For fun here is a picture of the house that I took by accident as I was setting up. Not the most inviting looking place...

Comment

I wonder what year that Merc is. It's somewhere between 67 and 69 but my knowledge of the decals shows none with red lettering and a chrome background. They are a chrome background with black lettering for the 67 and red background with black lettering for 68-69. At least this is what nymarine.com says.

Did you see a serial number on it? is it a 1100?

Comment

paint, oh yah. there are some nice paint jobs on here. a roller and a brush. roll on tip brush dry down.

I just saw 100 hp on the motor in the picture.

hey that house is not so bad, they got a RV so they are nice people. besides there are no dogs roaming and no signs so they must be good people. go back up and get that boat, someone on here wants it. just be brave. heck, take a buddy, they won't shoot ya then.lol.

Outlaw
                    John & Colleen Weston

Comment

Well if anyone fancies a trip up to the BC Interior you will find this on the side of the road about 10 - 15 miles south of 100 mile house.

Kiekhaefer - I wonder if the decal scheme is different because perhaps it's a Canadian sold motor? I had one once that had french and english instructions on the inside and a serial number that I could not identify on any of the regular Mercury lists. Perhaps is just a marketing thing...

Comment

A Keeper Skagit

The seating in that looks to be 58 Skagit is the same that was in mine.
                        I believe those are Factory built seats.

I had made the comment at one time that it appeared that the Glass guys and the Wood guys never talked.
                        Seems that the glass guys like smooth lines were the wood guys were into right angles :GoodJob:

All fiberglass stingers in those.
                        So, what do you have to replace you might wonder?
                        Once the transom, splash well, bulkhead, bunks and floor are replaced, you have a safer boat than what is coming out new today.

If those seats are in that good of shape, I would wager about the only thing that really needs replaced might be the floor.
                        Just saying is all :TwoCents1:
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                        X