No announcement yet.

AIS Systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you guys arent looking to soend the coin on the transponder and just wanna see what vessels are doing in your area than look no further than the marine traffic app. I use it in my room on the boat at work to monitor what the traffic is doing. Pretty neat, if you do the membership you can get the details and all that jazz.
    Gabe Williamson
    Soldotna, Alaska

Work - 2001 Bollinger Mini OSV 150' 2 Cat 3516c hd
    Side job - 1978 Bruno Stilman 35' Rebuilt in 1993 (38') Ford Lehman SP135

Play/projects - and works in progress between Dad and I
    1958 Skagit 20' Express - projected Mercruiser MCM170 or 4stroke 115 outboard
    1964 Reinell 18' - 85hp Mercury Almost ready for seatrial
    197? Glassply 24' - Ford V8 I/O

Comment

They also have an app that is a stand alone nav app called OnCourse from the AppStore. Ive been playing with it at work, and uses google maps. Ill make a further review on it when i use it on my smaller boat.
      Attached Files
      Gabe Williamson
      Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by Gwilliamson View Post
        They also have an app that is a stand alone nav app called OnCourse from the AppStore. Ive been playing with it at work, and uses google maps. Ill make a further review on it when i use it on my smaller boat.
        I have one of those apps as well. Mine only shows USA and its www.navionics.com I have had it now for must have been 6 years or so, and I think paid a one time fee for 9 bucks. Now I see it has all Kinds of options, charts and stuff available.

I will have to go look at the one you got and check it out too

Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Stan D View Post

I use marinetraffic.com. I haven't used vesselfinder.com, so I don't know how they compare. You can filter the type of vessel you want to see and even animate a vessel's track over the previous 24 hours. You do need a data connection. The attached image is a screen shot from my phone. I think I paid less than $5 for it. It doesn't seem to show Navy ships and most Coast Guard, so it might not be useful if you're a rum runner. The image does show the Henry Blake, but it's a larger boat with a crane, maybe a buoy tender. Why would the Coast Guard name a boat after a fictional army colonel?
          It will show USCG vessels if they are on a job IE; bouy tender. or in port layed up but other then that they stay low key.
          Gabe Williamson
          Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post

I have one of those apps as well. Mine only shows USA and its www.navionics.com I have had it now for must have been 6 years or so, and I think paid a one time fee for 9 bucks. Now I see it has all Kinds of options, charts and stuff available.

I will have to go look at the one you got and check it out too
            so i have that but i like the oncourse better because the ais is integrated.

but the other day i was researching standalone nav via phone or tablet (with cellular offline) and they are getting close.

i'm thinking of getting this device that runs through the app sonar phone through the app store. it is basically a transducer that pairs to a device via wifi and will split screen with navionics. the transducer kits run 200-500 bucks.

i like the idea of this for the sake of if i decide to leave my boat in a harbor long term i can take my tablet with me and won't be ripped off, and it also keeps me from being obsolete.

Gabe Williamson
            Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Working...
            X