steering link rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering link rod

Does anyone have a good example of a steering rod for the Homelite/Bearcat that would resemble one for a Merc. I obviously cannot mount the steering cable tube in the motor tilt hinge on these, so I mounted mine just below that to the splashwell. I didn't want to use the transom cable mount, the one that mounts on the starboard side of the transom, cause I would have to get a shorter cable and I think it just looks crappy.
    Now that I am not on the centerline of motor pivot, I have a problem of steering rod pivot when the motor is tilted up. The steering rod will have to pivot on both ends. I noticed that there is only one ball end pivot on other steering rods. What would happen if I had a ball end on each end?(drawing)

I found this pic and its interesting how the cable end of the rod is attatched. This may work, I'll have to see.

Any help on this would be great.

I've found by trial and error that I can have the rod rotate in the cable end and have a ball end on the motor.(drawing 2) The only thing I'm concerned about is that the rod will be at an angle while steering from the cable end to the ball end. In extreme force it would try to push the cable down and the motor up.
    Attached Files

Hey Dude,
    I`ve usually seen the steering on motor mounted to the front side of the hole in handle.
    The Nissan Tohatsu motors will use a simple angled SS bracket to create a hole that is 90` from what you have.
    Bent end of SS rod usually is toward motor so it clears when steered hard over.
    The gimballed end for steering connectors is most common when a fixed point is the round splashwell type or a stand-off with cast alum and thus the cable has to do all of the twisting.
    Don`t think you need it "double jointed "so to speak.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X