Dragon naturally speaking version 12.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon naturally speaking version 12.

Well, here I sit in front of my computer with my hands in my lap and with a microphone and headset in front of me. I have just entered the world of hands-free typing and it is a joy.

The program loads very easily and after about three minutes of talking to this thing, I am talking away and typing to the screen with correct spelling and no errors. If you are like me and have a left-hand with some nerve damage this thing takes the drudgery out of typing.

It seems to interface with all data input on my Windows-based computer and they have software for Apple users. So far, I have used this thing on Outlook, Word, and several forums. One of the main advantages is that there is not a lot of retyping, backing up, or error correction. I got it the day before yesterday and I'm already using it to great advantage (and with my lousy spelling it saves having to look up every other word.) You do have to put in the punctuation by yourself by saying words like (.,:;?!, Etc.).
    Complex words like hyperbolic, and technical terms such as numerical control, Fortran, large-scale integrated circuit, VHF marine radio, seem to roll off the tongue and right into the document.

One really neat thing is on websites where people tend to make long posts with varying relevance to the topic, this equipment and software tends to make verbosity very easy, although normally, I would escchew that!

Bottom line is, if you have trouble typing either because of a disability or a lack of skill, this is the answer in my humble opinion. I highly recommend it to anyone who has been thinking about getting it.

It seems quite expensive, when you first see it, roughly about $200 but since it came with a $50 mail-in rebate it didn't seem too onerous (see what I mean about words you'd have to look up?). I purchased it with this discount at FRYS in Renton.

Oh, and at the same time I upgraded my laptop with double memory (now eight gig) and a RAM drive with 512 gig. That drive replaced the 250 gig disk drive that was in the machine.

Well I guess it's time to close. Even though I am having fun at this, you are probably getting tired of reading this post.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Dave,What a net deal! Tank for showwing up this programm .200 does knot look like mush for that great progrm but i don't twink i need it yet in my old age yet or maybe i do ? All kidding a sided, it does look like a great addition to any computer !Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks, Chuck!

Yes, you can see I really like Dragon. Typing with your arms crossed is really the Cat's meow.

Looks like you have quite the computer center there.

Isn't it amazing how fast this stuff becomes obsolete. I generally update at least one computer per year. I work with Patrucio at EC Computer in Edmonds. He is a certified Intel distributor and is very knowledgeable regarding Intel motherboards and processors. I just updated is one of my rack machines to an Intel I7 to be used as my photographic machine. It has a 3 TB high-speed drive which should allow me to edit and store video files, for some time. I am a firm believer in matching INTEL processors and boards for maximum capatibility with Windows software and peripherals.

While I was verbose last time for demonstration purposes, I will quickly sign off again.

:BigHappy1:
      Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Dave , It does look like you know your computer stuff ! ( 3 TB high-speed drive, Intel I7, motherboards and processors ???? i don't have any idea what that stuff does except for the motherboards and processors. For myself i just know what i need to know to run my business with them. As far as the boats go i just turn the key ( i call Vessel Assist or AAA if i have too ) and go and the same with the car. I can't remember the last time i raise the hood on my Ford. I know it is a V8 and it goes zoooom ! That about it.I do take it in to get it serviced. I remember one of the guys told me it takes 6 qts of oil ! One of my son's did worked at the big "M" for about 15 years who instructed me. The other two son's help out when somethings goes wrong every so often. Obsolete? My computer's are about 12 years old and the laptop is around 9 years. No problems ....so far. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Computers and staying in the game.

Most of my computer requirements are software driven.

It seems that every four or five years or so the technology becomes anachronistic. So I have relearn everything from the ground up again. New processors, new technology, and of course new software. For more than 30 years, starting with Windows 3.0, when we retired the slide projectors and 16mm projectors and went to PowerPoint presentations, the best way each time to get the product and technical information to the customers.

The first digital projectors were a godsend but in those early days they cost around $6500 or rented for $300 a day, which for young salesman was brutal. Fortunately, in the last 20 years or so, the technology is getting better and the cost has dropped significantly.

My project now is to upgrade one last time. Over the years, I found that upgrading one step below the top of the Mark is the most efficient way to the get long-term life out of the technology, without paying the premium for the maximum system. In the past that box was always about $3000, and lately is double that. In many cases, I can reuse a lot of components by simply modifying them with my drill press or other tools. For example, to make an old box work with the cooling fans systems you have to drill large vent holes and bolt a 5 inch fan under the whole. I had to do this with both the I5 and I7 systems. This latest generation of computer technology is incredible. The I7 chip has six processors operating at once. These machines seem to be as powerful as Cray computers were in the early 90s.

But here I go with my Dragon again getting verbose. Sometimes it's a struggle to understand the new systems. I end up paying the consultant now to keep tabs on such things and that saves hours and hours of work.
          Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

oopz,double post
            Dave

17 Skagit