Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Phone Usage now available

Hi all..

We are in the stages of testing the new Mobil app available for Ipads and smart phones...

Please give it a try. It should be Automatic for anyone logging in with smart phone.

Off to the upper right of the screen should be a link to switch back to the standard screens if you like too...

Let me know please...
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Two cans and a string

Looks and works great Joe, now we can get our old boat fix - on the fly. Should be great for on the scene barn finds, and on the water reporting...

Funny that Dave (DMCI) is the resident technophile, with supertanker navigation gear on a 17' Skagit, yet eschews smart phones...as too high tech. You crack me up man! (Shoot, no smilies when in mobile mode)

Greg
    Sent from bat phone

Comment

Mobil application

Well, for you folks that use the Smart Phone to access the Internet (some access on line banking and other services) you can just use your smart phone which most have a Web Browser to access our Forum.

From your smart phone if you just type in the www.classicboatclub.com/forum from your Web Browser, then zoom in and select Forum, you will see what I am talking about.

Me, I can be at a event and as long as I have phone and 4G service, I can check the forum for messages, updates and even post something.

If you Don't use your smart phone other than a few personal apps, NO worries, nothing lost or gained :BigHappy1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 24814
        Looks and works great Joe, now we can get our old boat fix - on the fly. Should be great for on the scene barn finds, and on the water reporting...

Funny that Dave (DMCI) is the resident technophile, with supertanker navigation gear on a 17' Skagit, yet eschews smart phones...as too high tech. You crack me up man! (Shoot, no smilies when in mobile mode)

Greg
        Sent from bat phone
        Perhaps that does require a little explanation, since on its face seems quite hypocritical of me.

Put that into perspective, I've had a cell phone since the days it was analog and in fact, was called the car phone. In those days, I was paying on average over $500 per month for the service. And the fact that I wasn't required to find a phone booth that wasn't really a booth in the rain while wearing a blue suit was worth it.

And at some point, I was absolutely required to convert to a digital because in a month or so, the analog phone wouldn't work anymore. So I reluctantly did it.

So then, the boys at Apple created the Apple iPhone. At that time, I had a 3G modem on my laptop. It had a huge advantage over the than Apple product and a decent size keyboard. (With my big fingers, I couldn't get around the idea of a micromini keyboard, and still can't.)

So now those birds are trying to get me spend a fortune for product that I really don't need. Car phone to my way of thinking is a car phone, not an Internet terminal. Characters are small and hard to read, or a big one, that is big enough to read, it is too big to use as a car phone.

To this systems analysts view, the thing is not well thought out yet.

With regards to supertanker navigation bridge on a 16 foot boat, I take that as a compliment. (Although, I decided to put an abbreviated one on the 16, and the real deal on the red 18 foot Skagit.)

The San Juan's are nothing more in my view, then a debris covered rock strewn Bay with a million hazards. Now if you're like me, operating at 30 kn in in rain storm, while trying to read a chart which is slowly becoming wet pulp then the idea of an automated navigation system is not so far-fetched in my opinion. The only downside is that it tends to stretch your bank account a little bit. Having worked with yacht radar and loran, neither of which are that reliable or definitive without considerable practice and onboard power resources (like an MG for the radar). And if you have your head in a hood trying to tune a radar for high-resolution, you're probably missing a 40 foot log in front of you. It's just scary! (These little Skagits require more attention to the helm than the big deep Vees ever did.)

So it appears to this boater, that the GPS plotter with integral depth finder and AIS show some promise as a solution.

But like Greg says you are more than free to do what you want. So off my soapbox for now!

And here is your smiley:

:BigHappy1:

Oh, and thanks to Tim for the loan of this:

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
        16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
        17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Dave,

Between arthritis and failing eyesight I have gone to a stylus to pound on my screen. I got the children's super large stylus to fit my hand better, I think I am actually faster with the stylus because it doesn't fat finger everything I try to type.

Just a suggestion.
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Joe,

Looks good, takes a little getting used to as some of the buttons are relocated depending on your screen size.

Overall, LOOKS GOOD!!!
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I've got supertanker navigation on my 18' Glasspar Seafair. GPS plotter, integral depth finder with bottom map, AIS, and touch screen! (Although the AIS isn't hooked up yet). And I don't think it's overkill at all. My philosophy was that I wanted boating to be intuitive, accessible, easy, and safe, so the whole family can enjoy it. My wife touches the screen and is able to navigate whatever she want's easily, and get a good image of the bottom...
              :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
              (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
              1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Hey Joe,

After using the the lightweight app for a few weeks, I have desired to toggle between the traditional and mobile views to no avail. The view change button on my screen reads only default style, which goes to the same screen.

I want my classic view back....;(

Greg
                Sent from my electronic tether, with GPS enabled real time marine speedometer app.

Comment

Working...
                X