Merc Monitor and SC1000 gauges.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc Monitor and SC1000 gauges.

The subject is Mercury Smart gauges. On my two new boats I will be using the SC 1000 series on the Skagit Ski Master 16 and the Merc Monitor Gauge on the Skagit 18.

The SC 1000 is a combination of a speed and a tachometer. The speed is interesting because it has its own little GPS system which displays actual GPS speed from its own antenna and also position data which can be downloaded to the position input wires in a VHS radio.

The Merc Monitor Gauge has a similar functionality and in addition as a Nema 2000 interface downloads the bulk of engine data for the GPS plotter, which is downloaded through an eight pin interface.

Note the attached picture which shows shows the various engine data parameters (geez I sound like a technical writer, bad bad bad) which can be downloaded as a function of engine horsepower. Note the difference between a 60 and those engines of 90 horse and about. Later on Verado and similar size engines provide even more features and inputs including fly by wire, etc. (Note that when you pay more than $40,000 for a pair of engines you should get some benefit. That initially was my dream on a 26 to 28 Bertram.)

However, with the 90 as you can see you get a bulk of the available options.
    Attached Files
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

smart gauges...

Dave: The Skagit 17 Express we procured from Chuck a few years ago, included a well thought out-wireless petrol gauge "stick". It is about 12" long, was made by Preservation Paints, and has 3 Sharpie marks to precisely calculate range within +- 10 miles (depending on headwind and vector force thrust parameters), plus it doubles as a pokey thingy to puncture the foil seal on a two-stroke oil can.

I especially like the User friendly scale on the flip-side, it reads: GO, Turn-Around and PADDLE!

Greg

PS: Yes, decorative yet functional febel-flexer storage sock was included

Comment

Yes, my Johnny Popper has one of those. It came with a gas gauge that since is long defunct and replaced by a voltmeter. However, the nice thing about the Johnny Popper is if you run out of gas you don't have to paddle home. And I have yet to run out of gas because it takes about 1.5 gallons to mow the entire pasture and it has a 18 gallon tank. The stick is calibrated in 6 gallon increments. The tractor has a two cylinder horizontal engine with a displacement of 360 in.³ and a maximum RPM of around 1200.

Included below is a picture of said tractor.
      Attached Files
      Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 24916
        Dave: The Skagit 17 Express we procured from Chuck a few years ago, included a well thought out-wireless petrol gauge "stick". It is about 12" long, was made by Preservation Paints, and has 3 Sharpie marks to precisely calculate range within +- 10 miles (depending on headwind and vector force thrust parameters), plus it doubles as a pokey thingy to puncture the foil seal on a two-stroke oil can.

I especially like the User friendly scale on the flip-side, it reads: GO, Turn-Around and PADDLE!

Greg

Greg,

Our Chris Craft came from the factory with the same style "petrol stick" with markings calibrated specifically for our round (horizontal drum style) tank. After our Snake River odessey two years ago I discovered the stick was actually accurate to about +- 1 gallon!!! Although, instead of sharpie marks it actually has notches cut into it. I might add the warning labels like yours though.
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

What I'm going to do?

Okay, okay. I get it.

So what I'm going to do is take all that hardware and throw it in to the Guemes Channel.

Then I'm going to get a get a high tech cedar shingle and slice a sliver off the end of it. Then when the tank is empty I will fill it with gasoline one gallon at a time and then mark the stick with a magic marker, to ensure accuracy and durability. That will be a lot better and more accurate than several hundred dollars worth of Mercruiser gauge.

Hopefully, at that point I will hear no further discussion from you people.

(Now if you believe that, well…)

Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

I checked today, and both motors are in (the 60 BF and the 90), but the hangup is a high-tech gauges especially SC 1000 set. They're on order, then they were backordered, and now they will be in about two days from now.

The reason this tickles me, if you read the Mercury literature these gauges and associated murk monitor technology is the hottest thing I have. Virtually every big Verado installation (two or more engines up to 300 HP each) has a system. It could be that this time a year there is the obvious demand for everything boating. Even some of the Garmin equipment is on such short supply.

My supplier though has almost all the stuff on the shelf. For those of you that event following this, my radio will be the Garmin 300 AIS. It will have GSC and read-only AIS which will be interface automatically to the chart plotter. Depth finder will be a transom mounted dual frequency .5 kW combination temperature and depth sensor. These will interface directly to the Garmin backplane.

The plotter will be the 7212 dual processor high-speed environment with a 3-D depth display, which they promised me will show real-time 3-D display of what's under the surface. Should be very useful in avoiding calling the towboat.

That will be on the Skagit 18. The 16 which will be finished first and it will have the 60 Bigfoot on it. I'm getting pressure from several of my first mate candidates and myself to get this show on the road. I was assured today that I am next on the list for both boats. (Dick, if you are reading this they have fiberglass applied to the little cut out in a transom where the guy mounted the Chrysler. It looks really good. I was there today and picked out the places where I want to put the gauges on the blue boat, and where the new steering will go.)

For those of you that are concerned about tanker bridges and such, I have a helmsman but the engine room and watch keepers department are a little harder to man. I may have to do some of that personally. VeryBigSmile
            Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

SC 1000 gauges installed.

The SC 1000 gauges are physically in the boat but not hooked up yet.

I have also completed the painting of the Stern, and while this is not technology it fits in with updates on the overall project.
              Attached Files
              Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Progress on 18 Skagit!

Today I went down to check on the Skagit 18, the red boat and they had made some definite progress.

The installation of the 90 horse Merc with its associated gauge is complete. Notice by the way that I do not say gauges as it only has one of those.

The builders trials occur Friday morning at 0900, after which I present the cashier check for the full balance owing, and I will have a boat, motor, and trailer. Then all I have to do is wire in the glass cockpit systems and I will be ready to face the Bluewater.

To simplify things, with so many devices on the boat, I will use a floating ground. This means putting a context strip, both forward and aft which will allow me to send whatever information I need over a number wires with only one large ground wire at each end. Since the 19 gallon plastic tank I have as a fuel gauge sender in it, I am also putting in a white fuel gauge as a backup. I should be held to see the gas in the white tank as well.

Once that is in, I need to wire in the sounder module, the 300 AIS VHF/AIS receiver to the system. When they are hooked up I will be able to see the big ships on the chart plotter as well as receive data for the emergency call system on the radio. I will also have DSC once I get my codes from boating safety or whomever. I am thinking

I am thinking that 18 with the 19 gallon tank will allow me to have enough fuel for most of the cruising I plan to do and allow me at some point to have enough reserve to find a pump must whereof gas will be delivered to the tank. So in a couple weeks I will have a functional vessel with the necessary safety features to go boating. The only thing that bothers me a little is whether or not that 90 will rip the transom out of the boat.

We shall see what we shall see. It turns out that I bought a 2000 gallon per hour electric bilge pump, which should be enough if I remember to put the plug-in before launching.
                Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

good to hear from you Slo Mo

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 24916

Greg

Thats a classic !!!
                  Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Hey Rick,

Let us know when you get that Falls Flyer ready to float, we'll get an armada together to come north and celebrate!

Like you, I have been spending my precious free time rubbing on an old travel trailer. The object of my desire is an aluminum 1953 Spartanette 27 footer-preparing for the day that my better half gets sick of looking at all of the projects in my life... :shocked2:

Greg

Comment

Greg, I too have been thinking about getting back into vintage trailers. Chuck
                      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

twoeth by sea, oneth by land

Originally posted by SkagitGuy, post: 25276
                        Greg, I too have been thinking about getting back into vintage trailers. Chuck
                        Cool Chuck, what "tin cans " have you had? And what are you considering as a distraction from your boatstoration addiction?

Anyone else?

Greg

P.S. to avoid highjacking the merc monitor thread. Looking good Dave, glad you got one ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X