"Sucia Island Overnight", May 31st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Quitter !

Sorry guys I will have to back out this weekend With all I have going on and this bridge mess - I have not had any chance to get out and get the boat ready and I know I won't have time this week. That bridge mess has added 1 hour each way to my commute. So now it's at laest 4 hours out of my day . Greg the " Best Road " Thru Conway gets backed up all the way to Rexville . You might as well pop up to Clint's house for a cup of Coffee. It will take you about an hour to get from LaConnor to Conway . I heard that hyway 9 is worse . This is going to be a big mess for months I may have to take my trailer down to Tulalip and stay in it a couple days a week so I don't go "Postal"
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

So far the forcast for Sat, is mostly sunny, 8% precip, 4-6mph winds and 61 deg.. Sun. is about the same with 67 deg.. Looks pretty good. The tides look pretty good also fluctuating between appr. 3.5 to 7.5 ft.. Timr to go to the San Juans. I just hope the traffic getting to Anacortes isn't to crapy. There is the detour problem plus that is the week end of the Anacortes art festival.
      Greg James

Comment

Hey, Rick ! ! ! I will give you free board ( food ,TV & parking permit extra ) at my house 4 days a week for the next year for payment of your San Juan ! What a deal ! Huh ? Chuck
        Attached Files
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Rick, I am sorry you can't make it but I certainly understand. The traffic situation you described is about what I thought was happening. Thank you very much for responding. Hopefully it will get better. Maybe if we go through there really early on our way to Anacordes and late coming back would help. At this point I'm really hesident in messing with it. Maybe an alternative plan would be to launch at Everett and cruz north through La Conner and into the San Juans. Thats a long trip. Or sling in at Edmonds and head for Blake and/or Paulsbo.
          Greg James

Comment

Greg, Lets see how things are looking this coming Wed. Like you said going from Everett-San Juan's in the boats is a REAL long trip. Maybe we can leave early Sat about 5am and take the Conway route. We could do the sling thing at Anacortes again. The weather is looking better for this coming weekend and the tides don't look bad at all. Chuck
            Attached Files

Comment

Yea, and come back around mid night on Sun..
              Greg James

Comment

free sailing

Going to Laconnor via Conway is no problem at all ! Most of the detour takes the next exit. Maybe it was the holiday but today when I came through Conway - Fir Island to Best road had no traffic at all .:HandHorn1: If it's different tomorrow I'll let you know.
                Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

One reason they may have changed the detour route away from Fir Island is because the north fork bridge is the most dangerous in Skagit county. It has been slowly moving away from the high side for years. It would really hurt to fall off this bridge. Clint

Comment

Clint, Is that the bridge just past the "fruit" stand going to LC ? Chuck

Comment

Yes it is. They may have decided to not encourage lots of big trucks going over it. Clint

Comment

Thanks Rick and Clint.
                        The final plan is for anybody coming from the south on I-5 to meet at the Smokey Point rest stop at 9a. ChuckC, Lowell and I will be there. We wil caravan to Anacortes via Conway, Best Rd. to Hy. Wy. 20.We will try to sling in at the Cap Sante Marina around 10a.. There is no definite plan on were we might go after we get in the water at this time. We will probably head for Susia. If you will be out there (Jerry,Tim) let us know were you would like to meet us. I will be monitoring ch. 69 or or you can call me on my cell # 206 790 1725. Call anytime between now and then. Of course the best way would be to respond on this thread. The weather is forcasted to be great and the tides will be between 3.5 and 7.5 ft. or so. Hope to see you there. This event is open to anybody but it would be wise to have an appropriate boat and equipment. We might be anchoring or beaching overnight.
                        Greg James

Comment

How about staying overnight at Jones , Lopez, Sucia Islands ? I do think we should leave a float plan on where we are going with our family before we leave on Sat morning. Sometimes the Cel's don't get that good of reception in the islands. Chuck

Comment

Chuck, I would like to give Susie a float plan also so if you and Lowell can come up with some sort of plan, that would be great. I don't feel like I know enough about the San Juans to come up with anything, that's why I'm cruzin with you guys.
                            Greg James

Comment

Another alternative if you're concerned about Conway Bridge is to go through Mount Vernon city and take the Skagit River Bridge there. That would take you through West Mount Vernon and the road to Anacortes.

This is the road least traveled and I have not heard anything derogatory about the steel bridge there. That is a road I've been using a lot lately as my boats are being worked on nearby and that road appears to be the least traveled because it is not well known by other than locals. If you follow that road to the end, it joins up with the main road to Anacortes.

They are not publishing that route because I assume the city of Mount Vernon is not looking for massive traffic on its streets, but as the perfect route or group of boat trailers looking to get to Anacortes-Skyline. Get off 5 South of Mount Vernon, go west to the courthouse, circle around the city and then go across the bridge.

It may be more effort to figure this out and it is worth.
                              Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                              16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                              17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Thanks, Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                X