New Skagit sighting !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Skagit sighting !

This morning ( Sunday), a publication dropped on our property had this wonderful story with picture to illustrate it.
    Taken in June of 1956 at the South end of Lake Union for the event of a high school graduation party aboard the large vessel in the background.
    I obviously was more interested in the boat tied to the left of the
    wood cruiser. It's a 1955 or 56 Skagit 20 inboard. Knowing the color schemes and the B&W photo limitations, guessing that this particular boat would have been either white w/ red or white w/dark blue. What a cool picture !
    bruceb
    Attached Files

Bruce, And here's a little history on that Large boat next to the Skagit. It was known as the "Four Winds" restaurant and some other names as a ferry. Chuck

http://www.evergreenfleet.com/mvballard.html
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Bruce, That is a cool picture. Is the guy standing on the Skagit wearing a tie? I hope that wasn't the populare manner of dress of the day for skippers on minny cruzers. I like the sea plane also. Back then those were seen a whole lot more back then. I remember they were really noisy.
      Greg James

Comment

Yes, Greg, I think he's wearing a tie, and one of those classy "captain's" hats. Of course, you know, you're still required to wear such ceremonial garb when captaining out on the Genevive.......
        Great history on the ferry, Chuck- did you ever ride on it ?
        Wish the floatplane's wing wasn't blocking the stern of the big cruiser, looks like one that's shown up at the in-water LaC boat show.
        bruceb

Comment

I'll be sure to do that next week end if we go to the San Juans. Do you think a clip on tie would be o.k.? I even have a green one to match the boat. All you guys going up to the San Juans next week end, I hope you have a white shirt and tie and one of those hats for next week end. Shorts and sandals are o.k..
          Greg James

Comment

I proclaim white shirt, tie one of those cool hats, shorts and sandals as our club uniform. The shorts can be insulated during our winter events. Hemar, since you are our head dude maybe you can make it official. I know Lowell, you aint wearin that crap.
            Greg James

Comment

Bruce, THe Skagit looks like a I/O. The only time i went on the old ferry when it was the "Four Winds" and "Surfside 9" restaurant with a "date". No Sheila at the time.

Greg, Not on my life will i wear that garb

Comment

Here are a couple more pictures of the ferry/restaurant/shipwreck from my personal archives. I probably took these in 1968 after its second sinking. That wasn't a good place for retired ferries. Later the San Mateo was neglected to death there.

Comment

Stan, In your pictures , it had been moved over to the eastside of the waterway as it was always tied up on the westside ( Westlake Ave ) ...see dock all rip up. Chuck

Comment

Closeup

Here's a closeup of the Skagit 20 in the picture. Can't quite read the boat's name on the transom though...

Bruce
                    Attached Files
                    1962 Elgin 14 foot Runabout

Comment

Around the same time there was another boat sunk on the Elliott Bay waterfront. I think it was a stern-wheel paddleboat. I don't remember much about it. Chuck? It stayed sunk long enough that it started breaking up on its own. That sort of thing doesn't happen any more. Greg, here are some more amphibians for you.

Comment

Stan-
                        thanks for sharing the "archives", those are great pics !
                        Chuck-
                        the close-up that Bruce and Toby posted looks to be an inboard. Skagit was a very early installer of I/Os but that was around 1959- there are numerous examples of "retro" units, but the factory ones came out later than 56.
                        Greg-
                        clip ons, for sure. As for the whole uniform, yeah, shorts,sandals,clip-ons and hats, wow, you nailed it !
                        Oh, Greg, for winter boating, see attached photo !
                        bruceb
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X