Mac Users in Club...??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Users in Club...??

I switched from a lifetime of PC use to a Mac several months ago, after suffering my second major hard-drive crash, accompanied by an avalanche of spy-bot attacks, etc.

Just wondering who else in NWCBC might be a Mac user, and what software you are using to edit/manipulate photos? (I used to have PhotoShop on the PC and loved it, but haven't been able to afford the Mac version.)

Curious...

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, have you tried Photoshop Elements? It's a lot less expensive and will do the day-to-day common processing that most people use PS for. I used to use the full version at work but didn't want to spend the bucks when I left the company and needed it for my own use. I picked up a copy of Elements and found that it would do everything I needed. In fact, I could have used it for 99% of the tasks I used the full version for. Elements can be had pretty cheap online, especially if you don't get the latest version. I'm still using 2.0 and it does everything I need.

Tim

Comment

Mac Users??

Really, only Two Mac Users ??
      Come on folks, speak up on this.
      I too am about to Dump Microsoft OS.

Lets here what you have and what you use for programs please.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 2866
        Really, only Two Mac Users ??
        Come on folks, speak up on this.
        I too am about to Dump Microsoft OS.

Lets here what you have and what you use for programs please.
        Uuhh .. sorry Joe, if you were counting me as one of the two Mac users then the count is one! I've owned and used Macs and Powerbooks for work related compatability but am a die hard PC user. It's the "tinkering" thing, I like to build my own.

I started with a Commodore 64 (you youngsters can google that) and have used PCs and Macs ever since, and I haven't ever experienced the legendary "PCs crash and Macs don't" thing. In my humble opinion, the real difference is between cheap equipment and good equipment. Macs are beautifully engineered, well made, and have high standards for software and hardware reliability. whereas the "open market" nature of PCs has resulted in a lot of cheap hardware and poorly written software, which naturally results in unstable platforms and short lived machines. If all Pcs were manufactured to the standards of Macs then they wouldn't have the reputation of being unreliable. I've been using PCs for demanding CAD and graphics work since the 90s and have never had a hard drive failure or an unrecoverable crash of any kind. But I don't buy cheap equipment.

I also don't buy the first version of ANY operating system. In my opinion, the first release of an OS is the final testing phase of R & D, financed by the consumer. No wonder they all got rich!

Comment

I'm a Mac user and certified Adobe and Apple Instructor in most of the Digital Imaging Apps...

What I'm steering a lot of my students to is Lightroom...

kills a number of birds with 1 app...

gives you a good warehousing system so you can find those images easily and with v2 gives you all the basic tools of PShop and then some...at under $200 a much better deal than elements or the full PShop for the casual user

feel free to contact me offline for assistance or with questions on it or other mac based programs

...Ric
          '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
          '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
          '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Marty,

Sorry to hear you've gone over to the "dark side"

"Mr Bill" will be quite disapointed to hear it. I heard his profits are down so far he had to sell a couple small countries last week.

If it's a real new Mac there is a program built in that will let you run all or most of your old software. Can't remember the name, check with your dealer.
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 3050
              Marty,

Sorry to hear you've gone over to the "dark side"

"Mr Bill" will be quite disapointed to hear it. I heard his profits are down so far he had to sell a couple small countries last week.

If it's a real new Mac there is a program built in that will let you run all or most of your old software. Can't remember the name, check with your dealer.
              Jack, Mr Bill hasn't put anything out that wasn't broken.
              His MSDOS ver 1 was the start of broken things.
              He is about to loose me too.

Wow, just think of it, free from Virus's targeted at him, that affects us.:eek:

I think you can tell I am not a Mr Bill fan, At All
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Joe,

Years ago someone told me Microsoft was a Marketing company that happened to have software products. That is so true, never mind if the product is any good, just sell, sell, sell.

Boy I hope "The Princess" doesn't see this, she doesn't like me saying things that might drive down her stock price. :eek:
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

The joke going around years ago was "Never buy anything from Microsoft that ends in ".0", as in Windows 3.oh just release it ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 3082
                    The joke going around years ago was "Never buy anything from Microsoft that ends in ".0", as in Windows 3.oh just release it ..."

Yeah, we don't want to get me going on Microshot.

I looked at your Album, I like what you did with the top for your boat.
                    Its about the same design I was going to do on my little 14 foot Skagit Sportster that will have the 60hp McCullough on it.
                    One of them little Go Fasters.
                    The plan is to out run Chuck with it
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Thanks Joe, but I can't take credit for the top, it came with the boat along with a full camping canvas that extends from the top to the back of the boat and closes up tight. Also has windows that fill in the sides of the top. You have to kinda duck-walk into the front seats as the top is low, but I really like the looks of it. It has the look of the hardtops like your Skagit, which I really like.

Comment

Working...
                      X