Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 Evinrude 40HP - no spark after cleaning the fuel filter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Evinrude 40HP - no spark after cleaning the fuel filter?

1960 Evinrude 40HP - Model 35520 - electric start - no generator.

Will not start - no spark after cleaning the fuel pump reservoir:

History:
    Last week I rebuilt the carb as the engine was not running smoothly. Had it running yesterday (started and ran fine - a little rough). Last night I removed the fuel pump gas reservoir to clean it and to check the filter. That seemed fine so I put it back together. This morning, the engine has no spark!!!!!

Have checked for spark in the following ways:
    1. Removed the wiring harness from the starboard side of the engine and pulled on the starter rope. No spark.
    2. Replaced the wiring harness, cranked it over via the key, no spark.
    3. Removed the two wires from the vacuum Cutout Switch and cranked it over with the key. No spark.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what happened? Did I bump some mysterious electrical connection that would prevent this thing from sparking????

Originally posted by RJSwenson, post: 25788
    1960 Evinrude 40HP - Model 35520 - electric start - no generator.

Will not start - no spark after cleaning the fuel pump reservoir:

No spark.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what happened? Did I bump some mysterious electrical connection that would prevent this thing from sparking????
    Couple things come to mind, the original coils on these engines need to be replaced as they crack with age. I'm thinking there's an inspection cover on the flywheel that can be removed and the coils inspected. Second thing, to kill the magneto ignition the points are shorted to each other thru the ignition switch. Switch works the opposite of a battery ignition as it is normally closed when off. Should be two wires coming out from the mag plate to check for possible shorting. Other things, are you sure the plugs are not fouled, have had that happen after shutting down an engine and attempting to restart the next day. With the flywheel inspection cover off you can clean the points and adjust them. Condensers "could" have gone bad.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

40 HPEvinrude NoSpark

Sounds to me like a problem with the spark making components.
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thought I try a picture on the new forum, here's what happens to OMC original coils over the years. If the coils are light green in color they've most likely been replaced.[ATTACH]14704[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files
        Dick Johnson
        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...