WTB - Bearcat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 26070, member: 40
    Ok, I have to ask... What kind of mechanic uses residential "wire nuts" on an outboard?? If it were me, I would be pounding their door down and harassing the sh*$ out of them until they replaced every last one of those things with the proper heat shrink butt splice... Then I would go through the whole electrical system, one component at time, with them to verify that they actually replaced or repaired everything they claim to have touched!!! Any time I see those wire nuts I usually turn and walk away...
    Pretty nice isn't it, attached is a picture of after I fixed it. Got rid of the OMC rectifier too and replaced it with a RS rectifier which looks the same as the original.
    Attached Files
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 26079, member: 292
      Pretty nice isn't it, attached is a picture of after I fixed it. Got rid of the OMC rectifier too and replaced it with a RS rectifier which looks the same as the original.
      Much better!!! When I melted my old merc down (the first time) I replaced all the wiring from the control box all the way to the mercury kill switch because the wiring had been cut and repaired so many times the wiring changed colors from one end to another depending on what the previous mechanics had on hand... For a colorblind guy like me that just doesn't work...
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I wonder if "Captain Jack" has any left? When I bought some of his stuff he had three still there that I left behind.
        Dick Johnson
        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 26083, member: 292
          I wonder if "Captain Jack" has any left? When I bought some of his stuff he had three still there that I left behind.
          I found his information and can give a call.
          Last I remember, he was fighting health issues that were not good.!!!

Boy, not sure about this.
          Last time he logged into the system was Oct 5, 2012...Thats not good.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 26079, member: 292
            That looks great, nice job!

You're right Helmar, that last log in date isn't a good sign. Hopefully he's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 26046, member: 2323
              After some extensive reading/drooling/dreaming I've decided to look for a Bearcat 55. While I know little about these outboards, what I do know, I like.

I'm sure on a forum with vintage boats I'll be hard pressed to "score" but it's worth a shot to throw a WTB post out there.

Thanks!

Comment

Kelly
                Have a collection of Bearcat motors and parts basically one motor which runs rough one complete motor which needs the lower end reinstalled and two blocks and covers along with controls and speedos and other various parts. I had hoped to get it all going but I am busy rebuilding a sailboat so once again to many projects and no time. Let me know if you are interested in a complete package
                Thanks
                Matt Nolan (thefour nolans (at) gmail )

Comment

Matt,
                  I replied to your email...

Comment

Working...
                  X