WTB - Bearcat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - Bearcat

After some extensive reading/drooling/dreaming I've decided to look for a Bearcat 55. While I know little about these outboards, what I do know, I like.

I'm sure on a forum with vintage boats I'll be hard pressed to "score" but it's worth a shot to throw a WTB post out there.

Thanks!

Kelly.
    One thing you might want to know about the Bearcats is that if you are even a Shade tree mechanic, you will be able to care for this engine on your own.
    Parts are available by Bill Roberts up North as well as a couple of fellows in California. You can go to NAPA and get you tune up parts. Hardest thing to find are the pump impellers.
    I like the idea I can idle around all day with no problems.
    I am not about to give my Bearcat up to the Salt Gods so she will never see salt again.
    I "Have" heard that you can Zinc them up just like the 50 Honda and Yamaha engines and that will prolong there life.

I would give up a Merc or OMC to the Salt Gods anytime.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Shadetree...All the more reason to want one.
      I hear you on the salt...something to think about for sure.
      I have to say, your Uniflite is inspiring me!

Comment

Hey Joe, are you and I the only one's running these anymore? Nice to see someone else wanting to try one. I'm hearing you can buy the impellers direct from Globe now. Mine is still running strong with "zero" problems, turnkey and go!
        Dick Johnson
        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 26051, member: 292
          Hey Joe, are you and I the only one's running these anymore? Nice to see someone else wanting to try one. I'm hearing you can buy the impellers direct from Globe now. Mine is still running strong with "zero" problems, turnkey and go!
          I think that Mark Maguire still has his on the back of his 17 Skagit but I think that boat is a tad heavy for him. He can get on plain but thats about it.
          He had some issues that John Nelson helped him work though.
          No one around that is really working on them so people just dump them. Bill Roberts will sell and support with parts but thats about it I hear. He is not working on them so I am told.

You know, I have thought about getting into the restoration of those but the idea I have to depend on someone else to do the machine work does not sit right.
          Just not many shops really gives a crap and dos mediocre work. In short, I don't trust the younger generation as they don't give a damn it seems. Too many bad experiences with machine shops. One thing I know to do is Stamp my parts with Id.!!!

I have those two, the black one is hanging on the rear of the Skimaster right now, the other one is on the Uniflite and I don't give a damn How much money someone has, I don't think I would let mine go, nor the parts.
          OK, Ok, ok.....Someone show up with a "Fresh" Evo, Softail Classic, say 1996 before computers, I would really think hard about it. In other words, Mine are Not for sale.

I mean, Who works on Bearcats ????
          I can, You can, is there anyone else ??
          The fellow down in Northern Cal, his work got sloppy so I lost trust in that shop.

Maybe we need to go into business on the side ? The shipping would be a major bummer if not local....
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Kelly, seen your post above. I searched the local Craigslist, Central Oregon. Here's one that came up down in Klamath Falls. Doesn't look too bad, but you can't tell much without seeing and hearing it run.

http://klamath.craigslist.org/boa/4086804067.html
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Assuming it's in good running condition, that's a good price. I paid $1600 for the one I had five years ago, and it had problems.
              Steve Kiesel

Comment

Hey Steve, I saw that one but wasn't sure what was going on with the paint job?? Just somebody's fancy handwork or did they actually have some with that paint job?
                Either way, I've emailed the guy but have not heard back.
                Thanks for looking for me though, I appreciate it!

I'm all for getting a resto business going on these outboards with some folks, but after I have a good running one

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 26057, member: 2323
                  Hey Steve, I saw that one but wasn't sure what was going on with the paint job?? Just somebody's fancy handwork or did they actually have some with that paint job?
                  Either way, I've emailed the guy but have not heard back.
                  Thanks for looking for me though, I appreciate it!

I'm all for getting a resto business going on these outboards with some folks, but after I have a good running one
                  I have seen engines from that shop. See the name on the foot.
                  Super sportster got one of those engines and notice the paint was coming off as it wasn't prepared properly which put up the first red flag.
                  I would keep looking if it was me. You used to be able to get them for 800 bucks.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Thanks Helmar...The guy has posted it everywhere. ..reminds me of scammers that do that with vintage cars.
                    I thought I'd have my "vintage" camp trailer sold this weekend, but as Craigslist flakes do, they all bailed. So I have some time to find the right deal.

Comment

See, that's why this forum is so valuable. Helmar's experiences probably just saved you a lot of headaches. I've had a lot of engine problems since getting the Seafair, so any motor I come across you probably shouldn't even consider.
                      Steve Kiesel

Comment

I see the trademark "wire nuts" on that engine, just like mine! Mine was taken there to be checked out and anything needing repair to be fixed. PO says it checked out okay but was upgraded with electronic ignition and electric fuel pump. I think the OMC rectifier was also put on at that time. Then the trademark "blue" paint. I used that engine only one season so far, it ran fine. I've removed most of the "blue" paint and just want to take it back looking factory original.
                        Attached Files
                        Dick Johnson
                        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                        '57 Evinrude 18hp
                        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                        '72 Johnson 6hp
                        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                        '65 Homelite 55
                        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 26064, member: 292
                          I see the trademark "wire nuts" on that engine, just like mine! Mine was taken there to be checked out and anything needing repair to be fixed. PO says it checked out okay but was upgraded with electronic ignition and electric fuel pump. I think the OMC rectifier was also put on at that time. Then the trademark "blue" paint. I used that engine only one season so far, it ran fine. I've removed most of the "blue" paint and just want to take it back looking factory original.
                          Ok, I have to ask... What kind of mechanic uses residential "wire nuts" on an outboard?? If it were me, I would be pounding their door down and harassing the sh*$ out of them until they replaced every last one of those things with the proper heat shrink butt splice... Then I would go through the whole electrical system, one component at time, with them to verify that they actually replaced or repaired everything they claim to have touched!!! Any time I see those wire nuts I usually turn and walk away...
                          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I have some of them in my tool kit in case I have to "Patch" something in.....

When I was looking hard for the Bearcat adventure, I seen that place down in Northern California and back then they checked out the engine, all of it.
                            These back then were around 800 bucks exchange.
                            Then I seen were people were getting lazy. Then they got to the point if it Ran ok and had compression, they started selling them for 1600 bucks which was robbery.
                            A person can go though the whole thing, valves (you will see that the Head does not come off the block, its part of it) are tricky so its important to make sure they are not out of adjustment. The carbs, you can get full kits for them now.
                            I replace the old Bearcat coil, fabricated up a new coil mount, got one for a later model Ford Pickup along with the Matching Condenser for it. Used the stock points.
                            I will put my point engine up against an electronic engine any day. Besides, its cheaper for me to carry a extra set of points and condenser in my tool kit.

Your going to find a Runner for anywhere between 400 to 600 dollars. $800 dollars it should be stock but a Great runner.
                            The ONLY thing that can make the price jump after that will be whatever has been done to the engine, paint and or new decals. Meaning Restored.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I've asked my Dad to put feelers out in his boating network. I've talked to a few local shops, still a couple more to talk to. I've got my CL wanted ad out there in the matrix...we'll see what turns up.
                              A couple of odd responses that are jibberish but that's CL.

Comment

Working...
                              X