No announcement yet.

Dripping oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear knob on the leg is the one to check, it has a dip stick. Halfway down the leg on the portside is a slotted stainless screw, this is the oil drain. What fun they are to drain too!
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

If anyone has an interest I have two bearcat blocks I could give to someone in need, feel free to contact me. My own Bearcat continues to leak oil on the floor but I havnt tried draining the oil etc. Might due that next month after a return from Modesto Ca. If I remember correctly there is a Bearcat man in Redding that I might stop by for a visit during the trip.

Comment

I'm interested if they are not cracked and valves are intact. I'll send you a PO
        Dick Johnson
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

They look good to me. 425-778-7650

Comment

Hello to all, I think I am about ready to take a closer look at the Bearcat I purchased almost 2 yrs ago. it still leaks oil which runs down the leg and collects on the horizontal fin thing and onto the floor. I will spend some time getting to know the old gal. I think Kelly lives up my way and I read he knows of a mechanic? I would be interested in his contact info. Enjoyed the post by Sporster on starting the old motors. Do I need the prop on to check run etc.?

Comment

Well when the warm weather started up a month or so ago my old Bearcat really started leaking oil. always from the same area through the drip holes next to the shifting lever. I don't understand how an engine that has sit for as long as mine upright can leak out so much fresh oil. I have the new gaskets/seals for repair I believe but do not want to do the work. If anyone knows of a good mechanic to recommend I am all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho View Post
                I just took a look at the oil (Large black knob on block) no visible oil? I have a clear nylon knob on the leg that says oil indicator but it doesn't want to turn easily so I wont force it just yet. I also do not know where the drain plug is? I didn't find a drain plug per your arrow on your photo?
                Craig, did you pull the clear nylon knob to check the oil level?
                Dick Johnson
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Hello Dick, I just went out and checked the oil and there was barely any oil on it just a bit on the bottom of the tab. I cleaned the leg off a couple of days ago and there is new oil building up on the flat horizontal part of the lower leg. Anyway thanks for your reply. Its nice to have someone to talk with on these old motors.

Comment

Working...
                  X