Dripping oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dripping oil

I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas on an oil leak I have. My motor purchased last Oct. first sat on the floor for about 2 weeks as I built my stand but since then it leaks a bit over time. It seems to leak at the lower portion of the block and find its way out any openings. I continually clean it up but it always re-appears after about 4-5 days. Not sure what to look for. I have never run this motor since purchasing from Bill Roberts but expect it will. I also would appreciate any feedback on how I should be maintaining this motor during its storage? Thanks Guys
    Craig Aho
    Attached Files

It might be from laying on it's side for a couple weeks. I know they like to be stored upright. When you can, hook it up and run it for awhile. It will probably smoke like crazy for the first few minutes. The one I had years ago did that once in awhile. After I learned to keep as upright as possible, I think the smoking problem went away.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

If I keep mine on her nose just off the back of the boat she will do that. Oil will build up in the lower hole for some reason.

Dick, you out there ?? He might know why and where its coming from. He has rebuilt several of these old girls.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The oil sump is in the leg, in the upright position is should not leak if it sits this way without running for any period of time as there would be no oil in the block. Tipped up 45 degrees and above oil runs into the engine block. I'm sure it makes it way into the valve cover, filling the lower portion submersing the valves in no 1 cylinder and leaking through the valve guides into the cylinder causing them to smoke on startup. And smoke they do for a short period!

After you put it on the stand the oil is working it's way back to the leg and will stop after the block is drained completely. I'm assuming it did not leak when sitting on the floor? If not, when set upright it has most likely pooled up near the gasket on the oil pan and leaking there. Three places it can leak down low would be the valve cover gasket, the pan gasket, and the gasket between the block and crankcase. It could also leak at the bottom seal of the crankshaft but any leak here would run inside the leg and leak out the drain holes in the lower unit.

My $.02
        Dick Johnson
        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Thank you guys, I don't remember it leaking while it was on the floor. It has been on my homemade stand for about 11 months now. Is there anything I should be doing for this motor while in storage like it is in my garage? Thanks
          Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 26177, member: 2327
            Thank you guys, I don't remember it leaking while it was on the floor. It has been on my homemade stand for about 11 months now. Is there anything I should be doing for this motor while in storage like it is in my garage? Thanks
            Craig
            There might be a chance that the carburetor accelerator pumps could dry out.
            Do you have a barrel, plastic garbage can or whatever you have that will fit in that engine stand to have her lower leg in the water?
            I can walk you though every step of firing her up.
            Then when done, make sure what ever gas supply you use (I hooked mine to a 2 gallon gas tank were I could mix in the Marine (Green) Sta-Bul additive.
            Or, pick up the best gas you can get and finish her running with that (Son in law uses super high test gas for his Quads that sit for a year and the gas stays good to go) This will make sure the carbs are full of Good Gas to keep the pumps from drying out.
            That is a common problem it seems. Setting is not the best for some things...

In fact, can you pull the cover and get me a picture of the left side of the engine. Also look for the Petcock that is a water drain...
            Let me see if I have a picture of it. To winterize these old girls, you can fog the cylinders and drain the water out of the block. Another common problem with this is they will retain water up in the block and freeze in the winter.
            No worries with yours as she has been rolled all around so should be more than good.
            [ATTACH]14870[/ATTACH]
            Attached Files
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I will take a few photos and post this afternoon. Thank you for all that good info.

Comment

Here are a few more photos of the motor.
                Attached Files

Comment

one more photo
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 26182, member: 2327
                    one more photo
                    If you have a garbage can to set the leg in, do you want to fire it up and let her run a little ?
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 26177, member: 2327
                      Craig
                      It's been in the upright position for 11 months and it's still leaking? If that's the case have you checked the oil level? The only way it could leak from the block would be if it's over filled and a bad gasket in the areas I've mentioned AND the crankcase to sump connection. All the oil should have run back into the sump in the leg and will be below the engine block. Could someone have filled it to the oil fill cap on the crankcase?
                      Dick Johnson
                      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                      '57 Evinrude 18hp
                      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                      '72 Johnson 6hp
                      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                      '65 Homelite 55
                      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I will do some more investigating and check the oil level etc. I also will also have to assemble a few things like a fuel tank, garbage can and battery to attempt the startup. I assume the controls will have to be attached to start up? I have never owned an outboard before so it is all new to me.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 26187, member: 2327
                          I will do some more investigating and check the oil level etc. I also will also have to assemble a few things like a fuel tank, garbage can and battery to attempt the startup. I assume the controls will have to be attached to start up? I have never owned an outboard before so it is all new to me.

Craig
                          No controls needed unless you want to wire it up to the controller.
                          I can explain how to jump start it too.
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Good Morning Joe?, I will take a look at the motor today I have spent the last couple of days purchasing and retrieving an Old Used Boat Trailer. And thanks for the offer to help me through the startup.

Craig

Comment

I just took a look at the oil (Large black knob on block) no visible oil? I have a clear nylon knob on the leg that says oil indicator but it doesn't want to turn easily so I wont force it just yet. I also do not know where the drain plug is? I didn't find a drain plug per your arrow on your photo?

Comment

Working...
                              X