Trip to Grays River Today. Saratogan-2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to Grays River Today. Saratogan-2

Drove down to Grays River today and picked up the Saratogan-2 fuel tanks, a bunch of the hardware and many of the interior doors, drawers, hinges and pulls. Even found the bread board. Also found the water tank, although not sure where it goes?

I'm really excited to get going on this boat. There are so many differences between hulls 2 and 3 (I've said this before). Can really see the evolution of the boat, the builders learning curve, you know?

Measured the main fuel tanks and calculated the volume. 75 gallons each.

Finally stopped raining. Looking forward to Spring. Will be moving the Saratogan in a week or two. Hope the move comes off with a hitch...

Cheers,

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Tim:

first thing that popped into my mind, what in the heck is on the guys mind. But on reflection it occurred to me that one solution for the problem of living in two places and still having a boat. It seems so brilliant to me that if I was having a summer cruise business and still needed the boat in Friday Harbor (La Connor) and in Portland, it would be vastly cheaper to have a second boat on the Columbia and the first boat the San Juan's.

In addition, to acquiring the second ridiculously wonderful artifact you are being given opportunity to acquire monopoly on Skagit's second big kahuna! Well done and good luck with another labor of love. I have a feeling that the learning curve on a second effort will not be nearly as steep.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Dave, you are right on a number of points, in particular the learning curve. Additionally I have acquired a lot of extra parts in my search over the years.

To date I still haven't moved the boat, but soon. Replaced the hitch on my truck with a class 5 hitch.
      That should hold it.....

Thanks for your input.

Tim

Comment

There's probably a bit more I should say about Saratogan hull 2. I decided to buy the boat primarily to keep it all together. Some of the fiberglass parts are so unique that it would be very labor intensive to replicate them. Such a rare boat with over 50 unique fiberglass parts.

Yes, I learned a great deal and made a few mistakes on hull 3. The engines and machinery are the most expensive part of the restoration and the Volvo 41's are no longer built. So I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

There is also the question as to whether to update hull 2 to hull three upgrades. There are in fact many subtle and not so subtle changes in the boats. Most of the changes (upgrades), I like.
        One of the first projects will be to reframe and redeck the cockpit so as to make it possible to actually walk through the boat. So the first big question to be answered is whether to modify the two level stepped deck of hull 2 into a single height deck as hull three.

I'm in favor of the single height deck for many reasons. No trip hazard, more room below decks, better space for fuel tanks, bigger lazarette hatches and spaces and other benefits.

So I'm anxious to get going on it and still find time to use Sweet Zoanna. Having more than one boat is like having more than one wife. Nice idea, but doesn't make any sense at all...........

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 27813, member: 28
          So I'm anxious to get going on it and still find time to use Sweet Zoanna. Having more than one boat is like having more than one wife. Nice idea, but doesn't make any sense at all...........

Cheers,

Tim
          Tim, I love your analogy!! I have been contemplating trying to acquire an ACBS grade "show boat" that would be a better fit within ACBS events. But the idea of having double the maintenance, double the storage, and not being able to truly use both of them, kind makes me wonder "what is wrong with me?"...

Now, there is some situations where two boats make sense... A runabout and a cruiser, in-town play-boat and easily trailerable "odyssey" boat...

With your love affair with the 31 skagit, you have an amazing boat that has only two siblings! But I still cannot wrap my head around the theory behind owning two of them! When you're ready to release one, lets chat...
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian, There is nothing wrong with you having another boat or two . I do see where Tim is coming from. OK his years of a challenge was accomplish when he got the Sweet Zoanna done and then along came Hull # 2 ! OMG ! I would have jump on that for all the same reasons Tim had because some of us are a bunch of Sick-O's when it comes to boats. lol ! I mean that in a nice way. Maybe i should have name the Skagit i have now " Five Hours " , being i was not planning to get another one, but it happen within the first five hours of Skagit Bainbridge was gone down the road. This is where the word Sick-O come's up again. Now i'am back to square one fixing up another one...but it is really the last one. If i was you i would go for another boat for ACBS events like you were thinking of because you owe it to yourself then you can join the NMB ! group. The way you sell this " investment " idea to the wife ( if you need to ) is you tell her that in about 2030 you will sell it to pay for Declan college funding....no problem.
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I was of the same opinion on two boats all winter long. Especially after hanging the outboard on the 404. I looked at the Marathon with fond memories and looked forward to letting her go this year to a new good owner. With the sun coming out and the 404 not quite ready, thoughts of launching the Marathon for a quick spin are whirling in my head. Must resist....must resist!

As for the difference in deck height, I agree with the benefits of having a single height. However, she came from the factory with that split....
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Hey Tim, would love to see some detail photos of hull # 2?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X