Fuel Tank Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Ideas

I'm trying to decide on a fuel tank set up. More than likely, I'll end up with some red plastic ones to start off with, but not my ideal set up. I'm curious as to what you guys set up either on your current boat or past boats?

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27400, member: 2323
    I'm trying to decide on a fuel tank set up. More than likely, I'll end up with some red plastic ones to start off with, but not my ideal set up. I'm curious as to what you guys set up either on your current boat or past boats?

Kelly, I would put two above floor 12 gal ( tall or low ) Tempo "Style" 12 gal tanks with a 3 way fuel ( see picture ) switch with straps. There are all kind of combo's you could do, like one 12 low style under the back bench seat if you have one and throw a 6 gal one in as well ? I like the fuel switch as i don't like to run all of the gas out of the carbs on the high sea's and standing back there trying to switch a fuel hose over to the other tank and restarting the motor.Plus it is not a good feeling like needing gas when you are sitting out on the Sound with nothing ! Some might say they would rather stop at a Marina which is fine , but i don't like to pay their prices and some others might say they don't want to carry extra weight with them. In my Bainbridge Skagit it had two 12's up forward and 28 gal tank that lasted me the whole season with Sta-Bil additive in the tanks so i would buy gas in the winter when the prices where somewhat low. If you want to go with one 12 gal and would like to take a extra one on a long cruise, put in a three way switch ( that would hook up two tanks and the off position for both tanks ) for the 12 gal tank and just have a extra fuel hose hooked up to the fuel switch for when you would maybe a extra 6 gal ? In the Skagit i have now it has two custom made 2 year ago saddle 21 gal each at $400.00 ea and are very nice! The old fiberglass tanks had all of the sentiment crap from the old fiberglass tanks breaking down from the modern gases of today swimming around in them which is hard on the motor !The new one's were in it when i got the boat otherwise i would have gone with two 12' as you can pick up some up for around $50.00 ea. New they are up to to about $120.00 + ea ! I myself will still put in a 4 way fuel switch so i can have two tanks and have another gas line for a kicker motor or whatever.I almost ran out of gas back in 1995 in a perfect storm and told myself i would never be low on gas again ! I had only two 6 gals ones. There is a place in Bellingham ( Pacific Marine Exchange 360-738-8535 ) that might have some used one's. This is just my thinking. I'am sure that some of the other guys will have some idea's as well.Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wow Chuck, great info! I'll consider a 12 though I've been thinking two 6's and see how that does. I wish aluminum saddle tanks weren't so expensive, I'd go that route on each side.

Comment

I'm with Chuck on this one.

I grew up in bellingham, and found out the hard way, to go to marine exchange 1st,
        or pay full price for retail.

Hint, all of the really cool stuff is in the basement. Steve

Comment

You guys are right, I really need to go there. I've heard some of you reference that place before and I feel like I keep wasting money elsewhere when I can probably load the truck up and be done in one stop there.

Comment

Yea, Make it a "Sunday drive" and take the wife to lunch in Fairhaven ( That's next door to Bellingham ) . I needed a special bracket for my BQ unit, but left the fitting on one of my boats i had sold , so i went to West Marine and they wanted about $75.00. Went to Pacific Marine and got it for $15.00 ! I looked like a hero to my wife. Don't tell her about some of the other times lol . Don't used some of the old metal gas tanks as thru the years they build up with all kinds of stuff inside even if they look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27405, member: 2323
              I've been thinking two 6's and see how that does.

Even if you did not put in a 3 way fuel switch with your 2 - 6 gals tanks , with one 12 you don't have to switch the hose and fill it only once.

Comment

Kelly, I use two 12's and can add a third if I want. They all fit under the bench seat in the back. I don't bother with a line switch, I just switch the line from tank to tank.
                Greg James

Comment

I don't have room for a 12 under my splashwell...the tub is too deep. The tank can be no taller than 8" max, if you guys know of a 12 gal tank that is long and skinny I'll take a look. Ideally I'd like the tank to be under the splashwell or maybe I'll fab a box under each seat to hold the two 6 gallon tanks...hmm, squirrels are turning in my head.

Comment

Kelly, Do you have a photo of the inside stern of your boat ? Chuck

Comment

I've an 11 gallon aluminum tank. Don't have the dimensions handy, but it's about 8"x 14" x 30" I used it for my diesel stove at the shop. It's in good condition. Built in style filler and vent. Typical electric sender. Let me know if interested? I'll go measure...

Tim
                      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tim, sounds like it might fit. I'll have to measure the space at the stern, but I can't do that right now because the boat is at a friends place while I'm waiting for a new steering cable to come in. If you don't mind getting the exact measurements, I might be interested.
                        I bought a used 18 gallon aluminum fuel tank a few weeks ago but it didn't fit mostly because of the bar in the middle of the transom to the floor. Bummer too because it was a costly error on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 27418, member: 6
                          Kelly, Do you have a photo of the inside stern of your boat ? Chuck
                          This is all I have for right now Chuck... it shows a 6 gallon plastic tank under there and it barely fits due to the height.
                          [ATTACH]15451[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27427, member: 2323
                            This is all I have for right now Chuck... it shows a 6 gallon plastic tank under there and it barely fits due to the height.
                            [ATTACH]15451[/ATTACH]
                            WoW ! Did they use that area for fenders and other items ? How about up by the bulkhead area ?

Comment

Not sure, but with the old cable steering system that was back there, I can't see too much else that would be back there with out getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X