Fuel Tank Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27429, member: 2323
    Not sure, but with the old cable steering system that was back there, I can't see too much else that would be back there with out getting in the way.

Being i don't know your measurement of the cockpit area ,Don't mean to ask you 20 question, but how about behind the helm seat ?
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I went with a 20+ tank under each seat to keep the weight FWD[ATTACH]15454[/ATTACH]
      the batteries will be placed in the step fwd of the seats.
      [ATTACH]15455[/ATTACH]
      Thanks again Joe!
      Attached Files
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

The aluminum tank I have is 6" x 12" x 36". In case I wasn't clear, the tank is intended to a permanent installation. Fill and vent on one end and pick-up connection on the other.
        Fill, vent and pick-up add height to the 6" dimension.
        tim
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Jack, How's your boat coming along ? Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tim message sent.

Comment

I was also thinking something similar to the Bell Boy above. My ideal set up though is something like Tim posted; a medium capacity, thin aluminum tank that fits at least flush with the forward part of the transom and is not in the way. I'd like to keep as much floor space as possible since there's not a lot there to begin with.

Comment

So I sent Tim a message, but his tank won't fit either. The transom support bar just gets in the way of most tanks that have any sort of length to them. I ended up buying one 6 gal plastic tank and it works fine. Coincidentally it matches the older one that came with the boat so I can just disconnect/reconnect as needed.
                Thanks guys for the suggestions.
                I might go up to Bellingham this Sunday...

Comment

Kelly, if you come up to Bellingham to go to the marine exchange. Plan for time to stop by Chuckanut Brewery (right across the street) for a beer and local fare.
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Will do Brian, thanks!

Comment

Kelly,
                      I keep things simple less to have problems with, I carry three 6.5 gallon tanks one under each seat and another under the transome well like you show. When I want to switch tanks it is really easy just to connect the fuel hose to another tank. I switch when there is 1 to 1/2 gallons remaining. I've never run out yet and go into the San Juans about 3 times a year. My motor burns about 2 gallons an hour and I travel at 12 to 28 knots so that is a fair distance. Remember the more weight you carry the more fuel you burn and the lower your boat sits in the water and the more horse power is need to push that weight.

I also bring an extra complete hose as I've had failure on the priming blubs and hose fittings before. Another nice good item to carry is a large funnel to transfer the last remaining fuel in the almost empty tank to your on line tank if needed. When I go on an extra long trip I will take a spare 2.5 gallons to go the extra distance. Eight trips to the San Juans and 4 on Lake Chelan-----no problems. Just use fuel and monitor as you go. Fill up when under 2/3 empty and always plan to have 1/3 of your fuel remaining at the end of your trip in case of an emergency.

I would wait until you figure out how many gallons of fuel your motor burns an hour and determine where you might be taking your boat. Simple math, hours traveled, fuel used per hour then extra for emergencies. Look at charts and determine the distances, this will help you in your fuel equation.

Remember boat is small---amont of weight carried is limited .

Kelly you should get your boat ready and come on the San Juan Cruise June 21st.

Lowell
                      1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell I didn't even think of the extra priming bulb idea...nice! I remember years ago when Dad would take out the small boat and one time we got stranded because the bulb split!
                        Good call!

I'll look into the cruise for sure!

Comment

Chuck ,the boat is sitting in my park and hide lot with a new super duper Tarp sealing it up. I haven't had a chance to look at it since we moved in 2012.
                          My shop is built but not completely set up yet, this year I hope. At least we can get one car in the garage now (not mine).
                          We have been battling the the overgrown acreage, we now have 5 acres , half of it pasture that is being slowly turned into a vegetable garden.
                          Once the Shop is set up I can start painting etc and finish it up. Joe did all the hard work, now I just need to find the time. Kat is retiring in a couple years so I have to have it done by then.
                          Haven't been in a boat or on the water except for the ferry system since 2011.
                          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
                          X