Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accidents, mistakes etc... you've actually witnessed or been a part of on the water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, I think it is a no wake zone with a 5mph speed limit. A lot of people live along it's banks that probably don't like boats on it at all. I go up the slew occasionally but I usually don't go over 2mph. Much faster and you miss a lot of great scenery. It would be a good idea to take an extra prop.
    Greg James

Comment

My friends and I want to do it again but get back to the roots of the "slough run" and find some old kneel down hydros or something crazy like a 16 foot flat transom canoe with a 5 or 10 hp motor. I think the issues began when we started running our everyday boats with big jet drives and 100 hp outboards (that tend to draw a lot of attention)
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Ah ,Stupid Boat Tricks....thanks for not naming names Brian.
        Hate to admit failures but had more than I can list here......the Seafair sinking was the lowlight of them all by far.Could have saved it at dock by stuffing fenders in every corner but with SO many nice classics around and 12`` rods from the dock cleats poking int my hull I took the low road and begged for a tow from another member,.....now there we were ,20 people with a single line going out into the lake as Harbor Patrol cruised up.They didn`t believe we were crabbing......
        Slough run was the very next trip for me , done with backwards steering and a lack of proper paperwork (seeing the club do this yearly with orphan boats not usually meant for more than the one trip led me to think it was normal....NOT to Fish +Wildlife).Started that day with a Flat tire on the hwy.....so 2 fer 1.

An April 5th Exhibition with 25 boats doing both a normal APBA Hydro course with buoys ,plus some timed runs thru the Slough.Think they are calling it the Kenmore Hydroplane Cup or something.Boats will circle the course before heading up slough so you`ll see more than 10 seconds of a speeding runabout like the old days.

Other fatal trips included tying up to Salty`s in Elliott Bay the night before the Boeing Salmon Derby in the early 90`s. Didn`t realize it was high tide as we tied up the 10` bow line to the barnacled piling.Next Am, after over-sleeping an hour , we saw our boat hanging by said Bowline with prop and motor balancing the whole deal on a 5` tall boulder , TEN FEET from the now minus -tide.
        Had to unhook the line then let it drop to the rocks........
        Always fun to relive those horrors while realizing nobody was hurt and good lessens have been learned.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Wow Tim, you've been through quite a bit! You hit the nail on the head though; lessons learned. I try to discover what others have been through or have seen to learn as much as I can. I've been around boats and owned them all my life, but there are always lessons you can learn from others...
          Your tide event is a good one to learn from for sure!

Comment

http://www.bothell-reporter.com/news/250699781.html
            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Originally posted by halffast32, post: 27584, member: 30
              Good to see your still around Gordon....

Nice article and Thanks

Good to see you in there too Tim
              For as long as you have been at it, got to have some good stories

Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Here's one more. This is the sort of job I did on a regular basis.[ATTACH]15542[/ATTACH] Eager Beaver steep point-M2.jpg
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

This just totally amazes me and others as well.

People like Tim Mattson, Marty Loken, Tim Jones has seen some amazing things over the years.
                  I know we have others too.
                  And for Tim Jones, I am pretty sure most of the distress calls came after the sun went down and the weather was so bad most anyone would want to port.

Maybe a book writing is in order
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I'm installing an automatic bilge tomorrow. It's a smaller one, but never the less, I'll have one. Tim post above is just crazy since it appears that boat is far from the launch. Ugh.

Comment

Working...
                    X