Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have New Users, Please tell us about yourselves.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Roy and Welcome to the group.
    As you can tell, most of us enjoy what we do with the boats.
    I have just as much pleasure working on them then I do using them.

Enjoy
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hi Joe, That is quite the fleet you own. When do you sleep?

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by royg, post: 4664
        Hi Joe, That is quite the fleet you own. When do you sleep?

Roy
        Hi Roy.
        I didn't say they all ran, just that I have them.
        Fact is, only one is running at the moment, two others are Real close.
        I work on them when I have the money.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

bellboy

Hello

Thanks for allowing me to join. Im Derek Dwyer Irish living in Australia these past two years. I recently bought a bellboy .(theres a query in the forum) and im delighted with the condition of it for its age. I wish to renovate and restore her to her former glory> Im married two dogs , no kids yet and I live 70 metres from the nearest boat ramp in golden beach on the queensland coast in australia near steve irwins zoo. nice to make your aquaintance

Comment

Welcome Derek.
            Enjoy
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

New but not for long!

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 3001
              I know we have new users to the group, plus we have some Long time fiberglassic users that have just singed up on the new forum.

Please, just start a NEW thread and introduce yourselves, what you do, what boat you have or are looking for.
              Hi everyone:

I'm new to the Pacific NW and new to power-boating. I'm a former SFO bay sailor who has gotten tired of pulling sheets and halyards just to go 6Kts(wow, like watching snails cross your lawn!).

I love old boats with beautiful lines especialy wood( but too much up keep) therefor Fiberglassics caught my eye and we decide to buy a 1959 17' Dorsett "Catalina". She's a project boat.

My wife and I have decided to name her "Pugzly" since it looks like a "Pug" ( all its front line a smooched up to the front,see attachment>).

Anyway I hope to be an active contributor to the forum and I know I'll have pleany of questions on this my first restoration project.
              Attached Files

Comment

sup, old cars aint new to me, old boats are

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 3001
                I know we have new users to the group, plus we have some Long time fiberglassic users that have just singed up on the new forum.

Please, just start a NEW thread and introduce yourselves, what you do, what boat you have or are looking for.
                I have just aqcuired a 1960 glastron fireflite hardtop, and I think imma build it nice, unless someone wants it more than me

Comment

Hi everyone. My name is Ken Hill and I am from Southeast Idaho. I joined a couple of these forums see and hear about people and their boats. I've always had a passion for boats. The last 20 years or so it seems I've noticed more old boats rotting away in hayfields and back yards and it's kind of disheartening. If I had alot of money I would gather them all up and keep them all running, but that's next to impossible. I only have a couple of jobs, and with an addiction to airplanes as well as boats, there isn't much to spread around. It seems like everyone wants newer and nicer and I suppose that's ok for some. But, I'll take a '50's or '60's model anyday. I have 3 powerboats that can run. One is a 1979 Fiberform 17' runabout with a 200hp Mercury outboard. It's a screamer, but it's a toy, not very good for getting out and relaxing. Last summer I picked up a twin engine 23' Dorsett Montauk. The hull is in good shape, but it's been a mechanical nightmare. The shift cables, outdrives, engines, wiring have all been and still are neglected. She's starting to come around though. I have the cylinder heads off now for rebuild and by next spring it should be running strong. Then maybe I can work on the pretties a little bit. This one's going to be my baby and it's a fondness you won't get with any new boat. I also have a 1957 Glasspar Del Mar that I just bought. It's the poster child of neglect and I have no idea what all it's going to need. I'm suspecting the transom should be replaced and a complete paint job to start with. The glass is all in good shape, the chrome is all there, but needs rechromed. The 115 Mercury needs a starter lower gear case seals. I also have a 1958 Bellboy in about the same shape as the Glasspar. I might be over-indulged and have to sell the Glasspar, the Bellboy I titled to my son in-law and daughter, but the Dorsett and Fiberform I'm definitely going to keep.

Comment

Welcome Ken,
                    Well you have found the support group for your addiction, you will find nothing but enablers here! Keep us up to date on your progress. Also, we love pictures!!

Comment

Hi Ken,
                      Welcome to the forums, you'll find a lot of help and advice here, as well as encouragement. Like Bis said, don't expect help controlling your GAS (Glassic Acquisition Syndrome) as we're all seriously afflicted too.

Be sure and keep us posted, and post pictures!

Tim

Comment

I'm another newby,...Hopefully this post goes to the right place

GULP,....Not sure if I'm supposed to reply at the bottom of page 1 or page 3 so feel free to yell at me.

There have been several 'doc frankenmerc' guys on the internet and there is a 'frankenmerc' eBay vendor that resides down in Oregon, but I've been tagged Dr Frankenmerc for a lot longer than the internet has been around.
                        Back-in-the-day,...Since I was a pretty big guy and my last name is Adams I got tagged with 'Lurch' from the Addams Family TV series.
                        I was too busy taking piles of dead Mercs and creating one that would run again to be too concerned with 'Lurch' and just began to identify myself as Frankenmerc after Dr Frankenstein, who as we all know,...Built a 'living' creature from parts of dead carcasses.
                        My creations were Frankenmercs. Hurricanes were very easy to shuffle parts around on and I quickly discovered the principal behind E. Carl's madness of stacking cylinders to make more horsepower without a lot of re-tooling.
                        Mercs were always amazing in what all you could do to keep one running.
                        Rob a piston from a dead Mark 55 to keep a Hurricane going or vise-a-versa.
                        Steal a crankshaft from a Mark 30, stuff it in a Mk 55 block and mount it onto a Mk30 DSH and have one seriously snappy 'Mk30'.
                        Steal pistons and rods from a dead stack-6 Mk75 and stuff those lil peanut pistons into a lil guy and keep right on boating.
                        Then the pistons got bigger and the horsepower jumped,...But the principal design continued allowing continued frankenmercing.
                        I cringe when I watch the prices of some of these old goodies on eBay, remembering when I had so many KG-7, Mk 20, Mk 25, & Mk 30 & 55 stuff that I was giving it away by the pick-up load to anyone willing to take some.
                        Now they are slowly becoming 'hen's teeth' costing Solomon's Gold to own again.
                        Currently I have pretty well eliminated most of my 20ci twin stuff and rarely take in a 40 or 44ci, but I am totally over-run with Stack-6 goodies.
                        I love 'em. I rebuild 'em, sell parts off the carcasses and stack up the remains for folks needing this or that or a hand getting their Stack-6 running again.
                        So,...Having filled the post with blah, blah, blah,...I just wanna let everyone know that I really love helping keep the old Mercs alive.
                        I am still working full time at my 'day job' so my Mercury Magic time is still limited, but can work in a project from time to time.
                        I've always got time to match wits or line 'em up with the OMC boyz too.
                        I've got great connections to knowledgable folks for both Mercs and OMC and will help hook anybody up so long as it gets their boat wet again.
                        I'll be primarily hanging around the Mercury Operating Room forum so C-U-There.
                        Doc Frankenmerc 'Keeping 'em alive since 1955' Thom
                        Attached Files
                        Doc Frankenmerc
                        Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

The Doctor is in ...

Really happy to have ya here Thom!

Comment

Welcome!

Great to see ya on board Thom! I too am into the old mercs. I'm pretty much a rookie at putting them together and getting them to run right. I'm learning alot as I go. I hope to gain some smarts and advise from your years of messing with these old gems! Welcome!
                            Gordon
                            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Welcome Aboard Thom.
                              Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                              Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Welcome Thom! Were glad your here.

Comment

Working...
                                X