VHF review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF review

Has anyone tried this model Uniden from West Marine?
    http://www.westmarine.com/fixed-moun...adio--12019121

It has 13 pretty good reviews online, but I wanted to see if any of you guys have one or have had one of these before I pull the trigger.

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27587, member: 2323
    Has anyone tried this model Uniden from West Marine?
    http://www.westmarine.com/fixed-moun...adio--12019121

It has 13 pretty good reviews online, but I wanted to see if any of you guys have one or have had one of these before I pull the trigger.
    We had this one member Dave that was really good with the details of different systems. Some of the members were, well, very rude to him and he just kind of wandered off and no more postings.
    The one thing I can tell you about Dave is he was Damn good at digging out all the details for us that wanted them and could understand them.

Never the less, the Tech section was put up for Dave to use.
    Here are one of the posts and I would suggest no other radio if your possibly going to be in waters with Any commercial boats around you. Its my next radio and they were not much more either.
    I think I have one of the smaller radios in the smaller boat but will go to the other system in my 20 foot Skagit as I will be in commercial waters with her. I want to know whats coming at me.
    Just my two cents..

Here is that article done by Dave.......I do miss him dammit......He was sure good at this stuff.
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...-systems.4342/

Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks, that was a good read. I'll look into the one mentioned.

Comment

Joe, Dave is a maybe at the shake down cruz on the 19th. Hope you make it Dave. Looking forward to seeing one of your boats.
        Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 27605, member: 58
          Joe, Dave is a maybe at the shake down cruz on the 19th. Hope you make it Dave. Looking forward to seeing one of your boats.
          Greg, I am hoping to make it for the shake down as well. I must say, I hope Dave makes it to the cruise. I rather enjoyed reading his post about electronics and it was great getting to talk with him at the LaConner show last summer as well.
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian, Hope you can make it but if you can't I certainly understand why. Dave has done a whole lot of work on his boats and I am looking forward to seeing them. Maybe he will show up. People tend to watch the weather before committing to a cruz and I think it's a little early for people to make any commitments. Excessive wind and fog will keep me off the water and rain would also if I didn't have canvas. The weather report is saying that for the 19th it will be mostly cloudy, 58 degs. and possible showers. That forecast of course can change.
            I will be there and I will have Chuck Carey and possibly Tim Mattson riding with me. It should be a fun day.
            Greg James

Comment

I just got a message from Dave. He is unable to Post reply's so I am looking into it.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Able to post now. Thanks so much.

Dave
                Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI, post: 27672, member: 1896
                  Able to post now. Thanks so much.

Dave
                  Dave, It is nice to hear from you and with that great new Avatar picture. How are you doing with your boats. Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck:

Working on the blue boat first, will have smaller splotter and VHF radio. Problem is in the last couple months it hasn't stopped raining for more than a couple days during the whole time. Wiring and electronics is considerably simpler on this boat, but I need a day or two to get it finished.

That boat only has 60 4 cycle Merc on it, but seems to go okay. I have a few other chores to do in the meantime anyway like at all them done and I'll be back on the boats pretty consistently.
                    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Dave, Welcome back!

Hopefully you can get the blue boat at least to a point where you can run it on the lake for next weekend!
                      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Joe, sounds like the same problem I was having. I think Lowell is having the same problem. Welcome back Dave. Hope to see you this week end.
                        Greg James

Comment

I ended up getting this Uniden a few months ago:
                          http://www.cabelas.com/product/Unide...h-All+Products

All in all, I was very please with it. I don't have a whole lot of VHF experience to compare it to, but for what you pay and what you get, I like it. I especially like the triple watch modes for listening to the club channel as well as 16 & 9. Good stuff!

Comment

For what we are doing with our boats, those are just fine. I have a Old Uniden in the Uniflite.

If I was to get out in the and around the shipping lanes, then the AIS system would be the one I would chose.
                            http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...-systems.4342/
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

So this past weekend while cruising the south sound in Olympia, I heard a distress call all the way up at the Narrows! Not bad considering I bought an inexpensive antenna and a low cost radio unit. Drawing a straight line from me to the Narrows was 22.3 miles. 8 miles of mainland + 3 islands.
                              The man overboard was eventually rescued but the overall feeling knowing I can at a minimum receive distress calls from that far away with "objects" in the path was definitely reassurance that I made a good choice.

Again, I have limited experience so this may be nothing to the experienced user on this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X